Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, considering how competitive med school admissions are, I think the friend probably made the right decision.

You seem to have a lot of disdain for business majors. Is that just the general BBA degrees, or even the more specialized concentrations like finance or marketing? What exactly do you suggest someone who wants to work in...business majors in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 07:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, shoot, none of my kids were in frats, especially my daughter, and they have yet to take a spring break trip--wonder what they are doing in college besides that????
I took Spring break trips...to impoverished areas to build Habitat For Humanity houses. There were actually plenty of frat guys on those trips...because they needed service hours.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
You seem to have a lot of disdain for business majors. Is that just the general BBA degrees, or even the more specialized concentrations like finance or marketing? What exactly do you suggest someone who wants to work in...business majors in?
I was referring to someone who made the decision not to pursue pre-med in that clip. It is a verifiable fact that many of the football players at my university majored in business.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I took Spring break trips...to impoverished areas to build Habitat For Humanity houses. There were actually plenty of frat guys on those trips...because they needed service hours.
Our daughter is planning a H for H trip next year but not for spring break .

Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
I think that many people who go to college are not sure what they what to do when they graduate. Whatever you major in might not be what you ultimately wind up in.

I majored in both math and physics, had very good grades in both but had absolutely no desire to actually work in either of those areas after graduation. None. After selling shirts and coats at Macys for a few months I enlisted in the Army, the next year went to OCS and eventually retired from the Army. About half of my class in math/physics stayed in those fields for their entire career. The other half did things that typical arts graduates do - writing, law school, bond sales, marketing, banks, teaching. One person that I knew returned to his very rural town and continued his family tradition of farming and raising horses.

Some seem to think that college is some form of vocational training and you will work in that particular field for the next 40 years. But for many (if not most) that simply isn't true. And actually, that kind of thinking isn't at all realistic.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Some seem to think that college is some form of vocational training and you will work in that particular field for the next 40 years. But for many (if not most) that simply isn't true. And actually, that kind of thinking isn't at all realistic.
People keep saying things like this on this forum. They keep saying that an 18-year-old is not supposed to have any idea about what their future career path should be.

Yet, I knew what I wanted to major in when I was a sophomore in high school (I was 15). Not only that, but I also took AP classes during my junior and senior years in preparation for my major and later got college credit for them based on my AP exam scores.

This is why I don't understand why so many people here have such low expectations of high school students. It is strange to me.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yet, I knew what I wanted to major in when I was a sophomore in high school (I was 15). Not only that, but I also took AP classes during my junior and senior years in preparation for my major and later got college credit for them based on my AP exam scores.
Good for you. That's not the case with 99% of college students.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,314 times
Why do people go to college when they don't know what to do?

Because a good liberal arts education is an excellent way of discovering what you want to do.

I many sectors of society, and in some cultural groups; secondary education is an expectation.
I agree with this.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:47 AM

151 posts, read 424,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Actually, by definition, college is a vocational school.

vocational school
Definition: a school offering instruction in one or more skilled or semiskilled trades or occupations.
Vocational school | Define Vocational school at Dictionary.com

College is simply too expensive to be used for anything else. Amazing how many people on this forum have a 1950's mentality about college as though you just get a degree in anything and suddenly you pay takes a huge jump.

People need to get with the times. The job market is more competitive than ever these days. There's no time to screw around reading poetry when your entire financial future is on the line.

And how is it that people can't figure out what they want to do after 18 years? Especially with the internet at their disposal. Think about it. After nearly two decades, you can't think of a single job that you might be interested in?

Good lord. No wonder India and Asia are taking over the best fields. Most Indians I knew had to have their parents take out a mortgage on their house just to give their kids an opportunity to come to college in the U.S. to be a doctor or engineer. And believe me. They aren't risking losing their house just to send their kid over to "think about it" or get a degree in modern poetry. They're kids recognize an incredible opportunity when they see it.

I'm simply amazed at how lazy and entitled the most recent generations have become. The incredible opportunities available to them are endless. The best and fastest growing industries are right here in their very own country. But no, they want their art history degrees and high unemployment. It just makes me want to cry.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Actually, by definition, college is a vocational school.

vocational school
Definition: a school offering instruction in one or more skilled or semiskilled trades or occupations.
Vocational school | Define Vocational school at Dictionary.com

College is simply too expensive to be used for anything else. Amazing how many people on this forum have a 1950's mentality about college as though you just get a degree in anything and suddenly you pay takes a huge jump.

People need to get with the times. The job market is more competitive than ever these days. There's no time to screw around reading poetry when your entire financial future is on the line.

And how is it that people can't figure out what they want to do after 18 years? Especially with the internet at their disposal. Think about it. After nearly two decades, you can't think of a single job that you might be interested in?

Good lord. No wonder India and Asia are taking over the best fields. Most Indians I knew had to have their parents take out a mortgage on their house just to give their kids an opportunity to come to college in the U.S. to be a doctor or engineer. And believe me. They aren't risking losing their house just to send their kid over to "think about it" or get a degree in modern poetry. They're kids recognize an incredible opportunity when they see it.

I'm simply amazed at how lazy and entitled the most recent generations have become. The incredible opportunities available to them are endless. The best and fastest growing industries are right here in their very own country. But no, they want their art history degrees and high unemployment. It just makes me want to cry.
No--that is the definition of a vocational school or community college....

I do not see the recent grads as lazy at all. I also think you have a very distorted view of a true 4 year college situation and seem to be going off a story of one or two kids you might hear about. As the parent of current college students, their friends, classmates, the children of our friends, their friends, etc. have very motivated students. In my circle of friends that I meet up with on a regular basis--our kids were in high school at the same time but all at the same schools---we have I think 40 kids between us. All but 3 of those kids are deans list students, most are STEM kids, but not all, attending top notch schools across the country. Most are taking 16-18 credits, a few are taking 19-20 credits. They are all involved in something in school--varsity athletics, music, etc. They are far from lazy. None of them are art history majors .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities