Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas and Florida..you choose AA or AS but no major.

They meant that in the general sense.
Everyone has to take so many Math classes, so many English classes, so many XXX classes.
That's the General Ed part of your degree program.
I see you didn't look at what CU requires. Some of these areas are very specific. I could post it for another college, but I don't think it would be worth my effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM

151 posts, read 424,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
You can't entirely blame the student. There is a huge rise in tuition which makes it more likely you will need a loan.
I don't entirely blame them. I also blame their parents and educators. But at some point, people have a personal responsibility to research their own decisions.

Isn't it hypocritical to say we can't expect an 18 year old to make responsible decisions, and yet we have no problem with an 18 year old joining the military and being sent to war? Responsible enough to decide who does and doesn't get shot, yet not responsible enough to make a make a responsible career decision?

Quote:
Yes I agree there are a lot of degrees/majors that are useless but no one tells them what getting a job would be like, especially not the college...after all they make money.
Agreed. In fact, I would argue that college is the worst place to pick a major. College leads you to believe that if you get good grades, your going to have it made in the shade once you graduate. You don't truly get a sense of what it takes to get a job in your industry until you go applying for jobs/internships. That's when you realize what skills companies are really looking for and what kind of competition is really out there.

And here's a tip for some of you guys. Last I checked, there weren't too many philosophy factories last time I checked.

Quote:
There are a lot of graduates who get good degrees and graduate but can't find jobs. There credit goes to crap because they can't pay there student loans.
That's also a problem. Usually, the problem with those people, is that they really didn't do much to prepare themselves while in college. They did they're homework and exams and that's it. Then all they have on their resume is a degree. No internships, projects, or anything. One internship, and they would have picked up on this pretty quickly. A good degree is what I like to call "necessary but not sufficient".

Quote:
The student loan industry has its own problems, but that's a whole other thread lol.
Indeed it is.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Re: the bold, CU says it does. I posted the link. To be guaranteed to graduate in 4 years, you have to declare your major by second semester freshman year (in A&S). You think you can fiddle around for 2 1/2 years, then take all your major courses? Think again. Many of these courses are in sequence. Many have pre-reqs. Many, even at CU, are only offered once or twice a year. This is especially true of upper level courses.
Katiana is 100% correct in this in regards to CU. As I have said in other threads, our son began taking specific courses towards his degree the first semester of his sophomore year. Those classes have to be taken in order and are only offered once per year. If you fail you add a year. We have friends whose daughter switched majors sophomore year. Yes, many of the classes she had already taken filled humanities requirements. But she couldn't start taking the other courses until the next fall. The degree our son is graduating with in 4 years is taking her 5.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
I see you didn't look at what CU requires. Some of these areas are very specific. I could post it for another college, but I don't think it would be worth my effort.
And I clearly stated in my post Texas and Florida.

Not every state has the same CC/University requirements.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I clearly stated in my post Texas and Florida.

Not every state has the same CC/University requirements.
This is NOT a conversation about transferring from CCs. It's a conversation about "the first two years are the same for everyone", which is NOT true!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
This is NOT a conversation about transferring from CCs. It's a conversation about "the first two years are the same for everyone", which is NOT true!
That's not what the conversation is about. The conversation is about when one must choose a major to graduate in four years. You state that CU guarantees that a student can graduate in four years if they choose a major their freshman year. It looks very clear from browsing graduation requirements that it is not absolutely necessary for a student to declare their freshman year to complete a major. Do you disagree?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
That's not what the conversation is about. The conversation is about when one must choose a major to graduate in four years. You state that CU guarantees that a student can graduate in four years if they choose a major their freshman year. It looks very clear from browsing graduation requirements that it is not absolutely necessary for a student to declare their freshman year to complete a major. Do you disagree?
I think it would be very difficult to graduate in 4 years if you waited until sophomore year to declare a major, yes. CU even says that. It appears you do not have first hand knowledge of the U of CO, and I do.

Let me further expound on the CC issue. Most states these days have these "articulation agreements" that the state colleges in their state must take all credits earned from a list. (No vocational courses, remedial courses, certificate program courses, etc.) This is true in Colorado. HOWEVER, the school does not have to apply those credits to any specific category. Many times a lot of them go to "electives", period. BTW, the thread title is "Why do people go to college when they don't even know what they want to do?"

Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
I think it would be very difficult to graduate in 4 years if you waited until sophomore year to declare a major, yes. CU even says that. It appears you do not have first hand knowledge of the U of CO, and I do.

Let me further expound on the CC issue. Most states these days have these "articulation agreements" that the state colleges in their state must take all credits earned from a list. (No vocational courses, remedial courses, certificate program courses, etc.) This is true in Colorado. HOWEVER, the school does not have to apply those credits to any specific category. Many times a lot of them go to "electives", period. BTW, the thread title is "Why do people go to college when they don't even know what they want to do?"
I would say if they live in a state that does not require them to declare their major in freshman year then go get that 2 year degrees and get the General Ed out of the way.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
What they say is that their "tuition guarantee" for scheduling problems only applies if you choose a major at the start of the second semester (among many other requirements). They do not say that you can't complete a major if you pick one later--this is simply a requirement for CU to provide tuition money for courses you are unable to take that are required for graduation due to CU scheduling problems.

Different schools of course have different course offerings and degree requirements.

Univ. of Oregon: Undergraduate Studies, University of Oregon - Academic Advising - Choose Your Major - (students are advised to choose a major by winter term of sophomore year to avoid extra time)

At Univ. of Florida, 61% of students change their majors by the end of the sophomore year: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/ed...reds.html?_r=0

U Chicago requires majors to be declared by the second semester of the Junior year: https://college.uchicago.edu/academi...major-or-minor

Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I don't entirely blame them. I also blame their parents and educators. But at some point, people have a personal responsibility to research their own decisions.

Isn't it hypocritical to say we can't expect an 18 year old to make responsible decisions, and yet we have no problem with an 18 year old joining the military and being sent to war? Responsible enough to decide who does and doesn't get shot, yet not responsible enough to make a make a responsible career decision?
We can expect 18yo to make decisions, but that doesn't mean they will be responsible ones. When I was 18 I didn't know jack and made some horrible decisions. I am not saying I know everything now but I have more knowledge then when I was 18. Every 18yo is going to make a decision which will probably be a poor one.

Joining the military could be for a number of reasons: family pushed them into it, they have no desire for classrooms, they go for the free money, and so on. For some the military is quite an enticing option, especially with the GI Bill and what not.

On another level I think its interesting how murder is wrong, unless your in the military or in some sort of law enforcement job......but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities