Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas has their CC's set up differently.

All CC's have a core curriculum of classes that will transfer to a University.
Most programs require that 42 credits out of 60 be from that core curriculum list.
Within that core curriculum you have choices.
Math for example required 3 credits (1 class) but lists 10 different Math classes that satisfy it.

Core Curriculum
First off, I wasn't talking just about CCs. I'm also referring to going to say, CU, and just taking a bunch of courses. The only thing that everybody takes (in Arts and Science anyway) is the two freshman comp classes.

Secondly, Colorado has such a list too. That doesn't mean all those courses will transfer to fulfill specific requirements for a major, or for specific gen eds. Many of them will transfer as general electives. In your example, if one math course is required but a student takes 3 math courses, the other two may just be "electives". They won't fulfill a history requirement, or a humanities requirement, or a fine arts requirement, for example.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-08-2014 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good heavens, not this again! See below:

You cannot flop around for two years taking courses that "interest" you. Many of them will not fit into any graudation plan. Gen eds have to be from certain subject areas. About the only courses than EVERYONE has to take are the freshman comp courses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Now you know how I feel. The excuses these people keep coming up with is just astonishing. I try to get some information out there that could save a lot of people from financial ruin, but nobody wants to hear it. I simply cannot comprehend why these people refuse to acknowledge that there are serious problems with the way people are using the education system to their own disadvantage.

So many people could be saves a life of miserable career outlooks if either their parents or teachers would simply tell them the truth. But this is the politically correct world we live in these days. They just care more about peoples' "feelings" then actually helping them.

Oh well. I just can't help people who don't want to be helped.
University of Colorado at Boulder College of Arts & Sciences requires 120 credit hours for graduation (30 hours per year for 4 years, for example).

Included in the requirements are:
-Complete a major (for an econ. major, for example, there are 41-51 hours of required courses, depending on one's selected emphasis)
-Complete core requirements (3-6 hours math/quant; 6 hours writing; 34 hours of content-based requirements, which includes room for student choice)
-Complete MAPS requirements
-For bachelor of arts, complete 75 hours outside of the major
-For bachelor of fine arts, complete 53 hours outside of the major

Taking the econ. major example, there are 75 hours required to be outside of the major, which is 2.5 years of the 4 year course of study. Only 41 hours, which translates to less than 1.5 years, needs to be courses for the major. There are prerequisites to consider, of course, but a student that has kept their options open with course choices in the first two years can complete the degree on time by declaring at the end of their second year.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM

I selected my major after three semesters. I could have switched majors (not any major, obviously, but a substantial variety) up until the spring of my senior year (with a larger selection available that fall, or my junior year.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
because part of the college process is figuring out what you want to do...80%+ of all college students change their major at least once during their schooling....
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that society has set the expectation that it is not only normal to go to college right after high school but that it's also expected. The standard belief is that students will figure out what they want to do while in college. While I think that some students most certainly do figure out what they want to do prior to declaring a major, many more don't. I know that I would have made different choices regarding my college studies as a more mature adult then I did as an idealistic young adult but it is what it is. Maybe internships or full time employment prior to college would be a better path for some?
I know many people whose kids will be going to college after high school because they can't see any other alternative. It's just what is done, according to the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howell042 View Post
Any or all of the following reasons...

1.) social life
2.) to figure out what they might like doing
3.) because they feel they have to get a college degree to please society
4.) because many jobs require a college degree today, they do not even care what the degree is in, they just want to make sure you have a degree.

Personally I think if one is unsure what they want to major in, they should go to the cheaper priced college. Community college, or a public college. After taking courses they ill have a better idea of what they like. Of course doing internships also helps to determine if they are really into their desired major as well. I mention internships because the work force in their declared major is very different from the courses in college.
All good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
A significant part of college is exploration. I advised my children to explore the first 2-3 semesters before they settled on a major. They each still changed their majors. Even older students can benefit greatly from exploring different majors. College is about so much more than just getting a job.

5 year, 10 years after you graduate and take that first job, whether you took 4 or 5 years to graduate isn't likely going matter much.
I remember when going from one level of school to the next the huge advancement in people and opportunities each level offered. Had I gone to college I know I would have seen that happen again to a much larger degree. As an 18 year old, no matter how diligent our parents and teachers have been, we're little more than clueless about the world and the people in it, and where we want to be in it.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
First off, I wasn't talking just about CCs. I'm also referring to going to say, CU, and just taking a bunch of courses. The only thing that everybody takes (in Arts and Science anyway) is the two freshman comp classes.

Secondly, Colorado has such a list too. That doesn't mean all those courses will transfer to fulfill specific requirements for a major, or for specific gen eds. Many of them will transfer as general electives. In your example, if one math course is required but a student takes 3 math courses, the other two may just be "electives". They won't fulfill a history requirement, or a humanities requirement, or a fine arts requirement, for example.
You don't pick any "major" in CC.
I knew my major was going to be CS Engineering when I transferred to the university so I used my electives to take the extra Math classes that would be needed and were transferable.

And if there are college students that think a second Math class will fulfill a history requirement then they are surely lacking in "critical thinking" skills.

People who don't plan their education and take classes willy nilly are going to have a mighty expensive awakening.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
University of Colorado at Boulder College of Arts & Sciences requires 120 credit hours for graduation (30 hours per year for 4 years, for example).

Included in the requirements are:
-Complete a major (for an econ. major, for example, there are 41-51 hours of required courses, depending on one's selected emphasis)
-Complete core requirements (3-6 hours math/quant; 6 hours writing; 34 hours of content-based requirements, which includes room for student choice)
-Complete MAPS requirements
-For bachelor of arts, complete 75 hours outside of the major
-For bachelor of fine arts, complete 53 hours outside of the major

Taking the econ. major example, there are 75 hours required to be outside of the major, which is 2.5 years of the 4 year course of study. Only 41 hours, which translates to less than 1.5 years, needs to be courses for the major. There are prerequisites to consider, of course, but a student that has kept their options open with course choices in the first two years can complete the degree on time by declaring at the end of their second year.
I already posted the CU gen ed requirements, but apparently you didn't open that link. Here it is again:
Undergraduate Degree Requirements | University Catalog 2012-2013

I guess since it's not a .com link, I can post more than three sentences:

"Pass 45 credit hours of upper-division work (courses numbered in the 3000s and 4000s)." Edit: junior and senior level courses, therefore, not available to freshmen and most sophomores.

"For the bachelor of arts degree, students must complete a minimum of 75 hours outside their major department."

"Core Curriculum"
1. Foreign Language. [Appears to be one course, second level, however.]
2. Quantitative Reasoning and Mathematical Skills (QRMS) (3–6 semester hours). [Math; may also take a proficiency exam]
3. Written Communication (3 lower-division and 3 upper-division semester hours).
4. Historical Context (3 semester hours).
5. Human Diversity (3 semester hours).
**(1) Gender, Ethnic, and Social Diversity
**(2) Non-Western Cultures.
6. United States Context (3 semester hours).
7. Literature and the Arts (6 semester hours, 3 of which must be upper division)
8. Natural Science (13 semester hours, including a two-course sequence and a laboratory or field experience).
9. Contemporary Societies (3 semester hours).
10. Ideals and Values (3 semester hours).
Lists of courses follow each of these.

Generally 46 hours, plus the major. That leaves 29 hours (9 courses) for all the other electives and prereqs. A typical semester is five courses.

A relative of mine was once told by UC-Denver that she had too many credits and not in the right areas, and she had to make some progress towards a degree or she would not be allowed to take any more courses. Plus, in-state students only get the COF (in-state subsidy) for a certain number of courses.

(Mine in blue)

Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You don't pick any "major" in CC.
I knew my major was going to be CS Engineering when I transferred to the university so I used my electives to take the extra Math classes that would be needed and were transferable.

And if there are college students that think a second Math class will fulfill a history requirement then they are surely lacking in "critical thinking" skills.

People who don't plan their education and take classes willy nilly are going to have a mighty expensive awakening.
Yes, you can pick a major in CC here in CO. You get an AA or an AS degree. You missed my point. People on this forum are talking about taking courses "willy nilly" b/c according to them, the first two years are the same for everybody. It's not.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Yes, you can pick a major in CC here in CO. You get an AA or an AS degree. You missed my point. People on this forum are talking about taking courses "willy nilly" b/c according to them, the first two years are the same for everybody. It's not.
Texas and Florida..you choose AA or AS but no major.

They meant that in the general sense.
Everyone has to take so many Math classes, so many English classes, so many XXX classes.
That's the General Ed part of your degree program.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I already posted the CU gen ed requirements, but apparently you didn't open that link. Here it is again:
Undergraduate Degree Requirements | University Catalog 2012-2013

I guess since it's not a .com link, I can post more than three sentences:

"Pass 45 credit hours of upper-division work (courses numbered in the 3000s and 4000s)." Edit: junior and senior level courses, therefore, not available to freshmen and most sophomores.

"For the bachelor of arts degree, students must complete a minimum of 75 hours outside their major department."

"Core Curriculum"
1. Foreign Language. [Appears to be one course, second level, however.]
2. Quantitative Reasoning and Mathematical Skills (QRMS) (3–6 semester hours). [Math; may also take a proficiency exam]
3. Written Communication (3 lower-division and 3 upper-division semester hours).
4. Historical Context (3 semester hours).
5. Human Diversity (3 semester hours).
**(1) Gender, Ethnic, and Social Diversity
**(2) Non-Western Cultures.
6. United States Context (3 semester hours).
7. Literature and the Arts (6 semester hours, 3 of which must be upper division)
8. Natural Science (13 semester hours, including a two-course sequence and a laboratory or field experience).
9. Contemporary Societies (3 semester hours).
10. Ideals and Values (3 semester hours).
Lists of courses follow each of these.

Generally 46 hours, plus the major. That leaves 29 hours (9 courses) for all the other electives and prereqs. A typical semester is five courses.

A relative of mine was once told by UC-Denver that she had too many credits and not in the right areas, and she had to make some progress towards a degree or not be allowed to take any more courses.

(Mine in blue)
I did open the link, and explored beyond it, as well.

The point is that the major itself requires only 41 hours (the Econ. example I gave). As you mention, these Core reqs. and courses outside the major can be a wide variety of courses. Five courses per semester, assuming 15 credit hours for those five courses, means that the *major* requirements are complete in less than 3 semesters of a major-focused course load, meaning the major does not need to be declared freshman year for completion in 4 years.

Again, assuming 15 hours per semester, core requirements cover 3 semesters of courses--meaning that the major need not be declared the freshman year for completion in 4 years. There will be exceptions for Bachelor's of Science degrees, where some core requirements are exempted (though one can probably use some common courses in the math or sciences to provide flexibility).

I also suspect that there are "upper-level" courses that are available to 1st and 2nd year students, though enrollment preferences will go to upper-level students.

If you have 46 core hours + 41 major hours, that leaves 33 hours, or 11 courses, required to complete a degree (students can, of course, take semesters with more than 15 hours).

Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I did open the link, and explored beyond it, as well.

The point is that the major itself requires only 41 hours (the Econ. example I gave). As you mention, these Core reqs. and courses outside the major can be a wide variety of courses. Five courses per semester, assuming 15 credit hours for those five courses, means that the *major* requirements are complete in less than 3 semesters of a major-focused course load, meaning the major does not need to be declared freshman year for completion in 4 years.

Again, assuming 15 hours per semester, core requirements cover 3 semesters of courses--meaning that the major need not be declared the freshman year for completion in 4 years. There will be exceptions for Bachelor's of Science degrees, where some core requirements are exempted (though one can probably use some common courses in the math or sciences to provide flexibility).

I also suspect that there are "upper-level" courses that are available to 1st and 2nd year students, though enrollment preferences will go to upper-level students.

If you have 46 core hours + 41 major hours, that leaves 33 hours, or 11 courses, required to complete a degree (students can, of course, take semesters with more than 15 hours).
Re: the bold, CU says it does. I posted the link. To be guaranteed to graduate in 4 years, you have to declare your major by second semester freshman year (in A&S). You think you can fiddle around for 2 1/2 years, then take all your major courses? Think again. Many of these courses are in sequence. Many have pre-reqs. Many, even at CU, are only offered once or twice a year. This is especially true of upper level courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities