Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

149 posts, read 179,084 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in business intelligence/intelligence studies (current events). What major would meet these requirements? and would be able to fit a lot of job descriptions..without being a wasted degree. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
What is business intelligence? What do you want to be able to do with the degree? Political Science is the study of governments and events.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is business intelligence? What do you want to be able to do with the degree?
That is a better question....what kind of job do you want and then find the degree to do that. Keep in mind that at almost every college you can make up your own degree plan if needed.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM

I'm more just wanting to get a bachelors degree in anything and the looks classes looked interesting. That's about it...

Old 04-14-2014, 01:00 PM

I like current events and foreign policy stuff/intelligence/ and terrorism. Government jobs are SO hard to get. Who is to say i could get a job with a political science degree. Would i be able to get other jobs with this degree?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Well golly, what person is not interested in those things? It is like the numerous lame college grads who list "they are interested in the ME and Maghreb" or "torroism and national security issues", yet never even stepped foot in the areas nor have committed one ounce of time to these areas past what was required for classes.

If you really want to break into any of these areas, gov or private, you need to look past UG to grad school; there are only a few specific grad schools that the powers-to-be consider worth a darn for recruiting people into these fields.

So just concentrate on what you need to get into grad school, do not get bogged down in the specifics of UG as it is really uselss to do so.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
You already received answers in another thread. I don't think business intelligence is what you think it is.
Quote:
Business intelligence (BI) is a set of theories, methodologies, architectures, and technologies that transform raw data into meaningful and useful information for business purposes. BI can handle enormous amounts of unstructured data to help identify, develop and otherwise create new opportunities. BI, in simple words, makes interpreting voluminous data friendly. Making use of new opportunities and implementing an effective strategy can provide a competitive market advantage and long-term stability.
Business intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2014, 05:40 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteele89 View Post
I like current events and foreign policy stuff/intelligence/ and terrorism. Government jobs are SO hard to get. Who is to say i could get a job with a political science degree. Would i be able to get other jobs with this degree?
If you have an interest in foreign affairs, study international relations (if a similar program is not offered, study a language like Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Hindu, or Urdu). While studying IR, take one of the languages noted in parentheses above. Study abroad, if at all feasible. Seek internships with the Department of State, USAID, the World Bank, the UN, etc. You could also consider entering military service after college and either pursuing a long-term military career in defense intelligence or with an eye towards getting veteran's preference for government jobs after service.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
If you have an interest in foreign affairs, study international relations (if a similar program is not offered, study a language like Arabic, Farsi, Russian, Mandarin, Portuguese, Hindu, or Urdu). While studying IR, take one of the languages noted in parentheses above. Study abroad, if at all feasible. Seek internships with the Department of State, USAID, the World Bank, the UN, etc. You could also consider entering military service after college and either pursuing a long-term military career in defense intelligence or with an eye towards getting veteran's preference for government jobs after service.

He has already been told about ranked schools, quality gov't internships, experience living overseas and the benefit of foreign language study. If you have been following his other threads, the problem is that he seems committed to taking on-line classes at Bellevue and he seems to be searching for validation that an on-line degree from Bellevue is going to get him into the intel/homeland security community.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
He has already been told about ranked schools, quality gov't internships, experience living overseas and the benefit of foreign language study. If you have been following his other threads, the problem is that he seems committed to taking on-line classes at Bellevue and he seems to be searching for validation that an on-line degree from Bellevue is going to get him into the intel/homeland security community.
Ah, thanks for the info. To the OP--that is not going to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities