Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 PM

12 posts, read 19,058 times

Advertisements

I learned that I actually hated math because I didnt get it throughout school so I didnt put much effort into it or focus when the teacher gave notes. Now I am a senior and passing math with flying colors and now I love it and have the confidence to pursue a Computer Science degree after I transfer from a community college to make up for my terrible grades in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Because it doesn't compute?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
It's like a sales person, most people dislike them because there are more bad sales people than good.

People hate math because there are more bad math teachers than good. Math needs to be taught by excellent teachers and reenforced by mom and dad.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I got caught up in the "new math" which totally messed me up. I had to go back to junior high math in college and relearn everything. I made it as far as Calc 1 and gave up. I didn't have the time or money for more remedial work.

I had a long series of terrible teachers and awful books. It wasn't until I took responsibility for my own learning (and kept looking for materials that worked for me) that I finally made some headway. I wish we'd had Khan Academy and the Internet back then. I might've got further in the sciences if I hadn't been stuck in basic algebra.

Those of you who had excellent teachers are lucky! Those of you with brains wired correctly taught yourselves, very cool!

I'm jealous. ):

Old 05-05-2014, 10:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I have no idea why people hate math.

I suspect it is because it takes work.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHumdinger View Post
I learned that I actually hated math because I didnt get it throughout school so I didnt put much effort into it or focus when the teacher gave notes. Now I am a senior and passing math with flying colors and now I love it and have the confidence to pursue a Computer Science degree after I transfer from a community college to make up for my terrible grades in high school.
I hated Algebra, and all of it's X's in high school.
My math teacher never explained Algebra at all, he zoomed through it &
would give many questions afterwards. But later the math professors in
college were much better at putting it all into context.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
I don't hate all math, some of it can be fun, like solving a puzzle. Some math, however, is extremely boring and feels pointless to have to learn when it has literally NOTHING to do with one's present or future career. I think that the feeling of being forced to take higher-level math courses for people in that situation causes a good bit of resentment towards math.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 AM

315 posts, read 564,067 times
I personally hated math because I was never taught it very well. If you don't get a solid foundation for it at a young age, I find people have tons more difficulty with it.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
I hated Algebra, and all of it's X's in high school.
My math teacher never explained Algebra at all, he zoomed through it &
would give many questions afterwards. But later the math professors in
college were much better at putting it all into context.
This was me in highschool. for some reason they taught algebra without a lick of graphing. Once on college and I could see how graphs correspond to things mathematically it made a world of difference.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Many people miss something along the way. Everything from that point on may as well be Martian. It's quite easy to miss a piece. Often children will miss something for any number of reasons and there is no real structure in place to catch them up. Teachers really are hamstrung on this one because of the strict curriculum guidelines that they have to follow.

In addition, it takes daily practice. The more you practice the better you are at it. I would tell my students that I had to do my math homework two, sometimes three, times before I could get every problem correct. But I wanted the A and that's what it took for me.

The fun thing now is the growing movement of a contingent of people who claim math disability. Just math; that's all. It is extraordinarily rare to have a singular disability in math only. A student who has a true disability in mathematics almost always has other cognitive disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities