Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,421 times

Advertisements

I will be planning on being a full time student for this fall. I believe that I missed the deadline for my community college financial aid.

I also need to finish up my FAFSA

Since its too late to get money from my school, Could I still barrow money from the government like a Subsidize loan? Before the fall semester starts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:32 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,678 times
I sure hope you can borrow the money....

Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 PM

43 posts, read 95,327 times
You would need to be enrolled into summer term at least half term with a completed FAFSA for the 2013-14 school year and an award letter issued from your school before you can borrow any type of federal student aid.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Awww man really? : (

Its just that Ive been in school and took classes (a part time student) however I paid that tuition right out of my pocket I didnt even borrow from my parents. Im just tired and its taking me forever to get pass school I just want to be done with it. Also realizing that I need help

Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 PM

43 posts, read 95,327 times
Do you plan on transferring to a 4 year school? How many classes/credits do you need before you complete your Associates/requirements to transfer? Have you applied for any scholarships/grants?

Depending on your situation, you can pay for your entire CC education out of pocket, and transfer to a 4 year school. This can help minimize your expenses. I know you want to be done quickly, but you also need to be prepared for an actual full courseload. Again, depending on your major, going full time is a substantial change from going part time, especially if you work.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
I would avoid loans as much as possible, they are quite the exception to consumer protections. Before I get to off track in order to receive any type of financial aid, subsidized loans included, you need to have a completed FAFSA to your school along with any additional documents they require.

I would finish it and file it anyway, even if you "missed" the deadline you still might be able to get it. I am sure you are not the first person to miss the deadline.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,622,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post

I would finish it and file it anyway, even if you "missed" the deadline you still might be able to get it. I am sure you are not the first person to miss the deadline.
Good advice, though at this time of year I'd recommend talking to the financial aid office at your school first. There are two FAFSAs currently available (13-14 and 14-15) and you'll want to know which of the two, or possibly both, that you should be filling out.

You'll also want to have some idea what to expect after you've submitted it. For example, you'd only be eligible for federal aid typically if you're in a degree program. If you just submit the FAFSA but aren't in a degree program, you may not get any response from the school at all.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM

389 posts, read 917,306 times
The only reason to fill out the 2013-14 FAFSA would be if you plan to take summer courses. Otherwise, this fall starts the 2014-15 school term.

Have you contacted the financial aid department of your community college? They are really the best people to answer your questions. They should know whether it would make sense to fill out the FAFSA and what you might qualify for (if anything).

Old 05-27-2014, 04:47 PM

No, but thank you for telling me that, so I can call them!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
The page says I can't rep you right now, BuckeyeatHeart, but that's correct.

Also, some community colleges have private money and scholarships available right now (last minute) for fall term, but you need to contact them to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities