Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times

Advertisements

I went to (and dropped out) of community college twice during my early 20s. First time was when I was studying computer programming and could not pass the REMEDIAL math course over 3 times. A few years later I went back for accounting and dropped out because I just wasn't "getting it". I got lucky and found a place that was willing to hire me on full time (although for low wages) and have been there for over 15 years. I just can't imagine what a young person today would do for employment if in the same situation I was in 20+ years ago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
I wouldn't use the word "dumb". It's possible to lack intellectual capacity for college. It's also possible to lack motivation to learn. Both of which can cause a student to fail college.

The good news is that these are not permanent. Often, people gain intellectual capacity and/or motivation over time, allowing them to continue their education.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Think back to the students in your high school. Do you think that everyone there was smart enough for college? The students who had straight D averages or flunked out in tenth grade? Were they "too dumb for college"? Maybe yes and maybe no. Maybe they weren't motivated, maybe they had learning problems, or drug problems, or bad home lives, or maybe they "matured late"?

But, it is true that college is not for everyone, just like AP Physics or AP Calculus is not for everyone.

But, if everyone went to college who would do the jobs that do not need a college degree? Who would collect the garbage? Who work in the factories? Who would do the janitorial work? Who would be the sort order cooks in cafes? Who do construction work? Who would grow the crops? Who would be the security guards?

College is not for everyone. You have a job and did not go to college. That is true for other people as well.

However, if you are thinking about trying again, maybe college would be right for you now and maybe not. You can always retake you SAT or ACT tests, or basic math tests and talk to a counselor about what to do.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wouldn't use the word "dumb". It's possible to lack intellectual capacity for college. It's also possible to lack motivation to learn. Both of which can cause a student to fail college.

The good news is that these are not permanent. Often, people gain intellectual capacity and/or motivation over time, allowing them to continue their education.
I agree, some people learn at a slower pace, but just may not have the aptitude for certain subjects. In some cases, especially with math, it can be a condition such as Nonverbal Learning Disorder. While many can overcome that, it may take repeating classes and tutoring. Typically with this condition people excel at
reading and writing but struggle with math, especially geometry and advanced concepts.

Non-Verbal Learning Disability (NLD or NVLD): Your Child: University of Michigan Health System

Nonverbal Learning Disorders | LD Topics | LD OnLine

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
I'm guessing that 90% of kids going to college aren't smart enough. That's why they have to take remedial courses just to get started.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Not anymore.
They let anyone in these days.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM

18,704 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I am sure if I ever tried to take math courses or programming courses I absolutely wouldn't have succeed. Am I "too dumb?" I can do some academic-type things extremely well- they just didn't lead to jobs, that I could see, so I dropped out. I always knew to stay away from math, etc. My mind just doesn't work that way.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
Yes, people can be too dumb.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Absolutely not! All it takes today at some schools is the ability to get a loan or pay tuition, a pulse, and enough horse sense to find your way back to the same campus periodically. If you can show up at a job and do a function for more than a few days at a time, you can get robbed by a school that won't teach you anything, but will give you a piece of paper, and promise you that it will get you a lot of money. You can even repeat for additional degrees if you so choose.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I went to (and dropped out) of community college twice during my early 20s. First time was when I was studying computer programming and could not pass the REMEDIAL math course over 3 times. A few years later I went back for accounting and dropped out because I just wasn't "getting it". I got lucky and found a place that was willing to hire me on full time (although for low wages) and have been there for over 15 years. I just can't imagine what a young person today would do for employment if in the same situation I was in 20+ years ago.
I was in your exact situation. I couldn't pass pre-Algebra in junior high, but went to summer school and somehow skated past to next grade. I had pre-Algebra two more times and I just couldn't get it. Had migraines and would throw up. Finally my GC said, "Let's try Gym."

I didn't go to college and instead took a temp position doing data entry for minimum wage. Twenty years later, I have worked my way up through the company and then left for bigger and better positions, like stepping stones, til my current position as Senior Developer. I taught myself programming (which funnily enough, required me to understand variables, which is what screwed me up in math).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities