Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,527,022 times

Advertisements

So ever since I was a kid I have struggled with doing math. But I seem to do well in reading.

I have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and a few other problems and for some reason I could never seem to do well in math. But I will do well in reading. All throughout K through 12 I was placed in special reading and math classes until my Junior year. I have managed to get past both reading and math. I have entered regular reading classes and graduated that in high school of 2012. But I have tried Algebra 1 and I failed that miserably even with assistance. Then during the school year one time I was taking a special math tutor lesson that I was doing well in that I no longer needed. Now that I am at community college the same thing is happening again. I seem to do well in reading and writing classes. But I do horrible in Math. I have failed one of my math classes 3 times but I have managed to complete reading all the way up to reading 115 with a C so I was doing well in there. I was trying to pass reading 115 so I could get into this science fiction writing class that sounded interesting that I might look forward to doing. So I was not very interested in math at the time. When I am in math I seem to do well on the homework part since I could have hours to look for help online or in the book. But when it comes to tests and quizzes I end up doing horrible at them. I would like to know am I the only one who is like this? I do bad at math but do well in reading and writing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,802,102 times
You're not the only person who struggles with math but does well in English-related subjects. I also failed Algebra I when I was in high school (struggled with some concepts early on, got behind and never caught up). I did fine in geometry, and didn't take any other math after that. I did well in all other subjects, and I still got into a good private college. I didn't have to take any math at the college level. For my general graduation requirements, science coursework could be taken in place of math coursework, so I did that. I graduated with honors. I was never interested in math, and didn't need it for my major.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,799,923 times
I really had to work very hard to get Bs in math but english/history etc. came very easily for me. I majored in something in college that didn't require math.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM

22,753 posts, read 48,001,080 times
Everyone is good in some things and not so good in others.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,861 posts, read 81,878,104 times
It's more common than most people are aware, but not even well known to schools.

Learning Disabilities Association of America

Nonverbal Learning Disabilities | Autism Spectrum Disorders

Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM

4,890 posts, read 6,999,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I really had to work very hard to get Bs in math but english/history etc. came very easily for me. I majored in something in college that didn't require math.
I can ditto your post on every point you made. My dad could do math in his head faster than most anyone could do it on paper and he had an 8th grade education. I'm OK at math, but it was never easy for me. One generation after me comes my son, a HS math teacher, and then my youngest daughter who really struggled at math. Our brains are all wired differently.

I think we're born where everyone is good at something. We just have to find out what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities