Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:28 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times

Advertisements

I was lucky, I had a good friend from high school who was moving to the same city for college, so we got an apartment. Dude was a mess though, never did dishes or cleaned his room. I didn't care about his room but always having a sink full of dishes gets to you after awhile.

Now I live alone, no roommates ever again other then a woman, and she has to be damn fine and sleeping in my bed if you catch my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:46 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
I wrestled, so I didn't get to go home over christmas break because of the Midlands tournament. I had a very nice suite dorm room with a central living area, separate kitchen, and two side bedrooms with two people each (it used to be this building: Shoreland Chicago - Modern Luxury Rental Apartments in Hyde Park). Over break there was basically no one in the whole building, but I forgot that I had one roommate who lived in Chicago....

He was Korean, pre-med, and a biochem major. So were nearly all of his friends. Which meant many of them had the aldehyde dehydrogenase mutation (cannot metabolize alcohol and intoxicate more rapidly), and the guys all came from a particularly Korean-Chicago cultural group that highly valued alcohol tolerance. As pre-meds, they had just finished a very high stress academic term and were looking to blow off a lot of steam. And as bio-chem majors, they had access to lab grade purified 200 proof alcohol.

And on new years eve, when I pretty much just wanted to sleep, he and about a dozen of his friends showed up at our dorm room to have a new years eve party, complete with several liters of pure alcohol.
It became a "man" contest where all the men were trying to outdrink each other, out-do each other with their various shots, and spent a lot of time hitting on and groping the one unattached woman who was there.
I didn't sleep.
I didn't drink.
I did babysit.
I did break up a fight.
I did put out the rather large fire they set when they attempted to do flaming shots and exploded the shot glasses. Unfortunately, they tried to put it out too, with their beers.
I did clean up a lot of puke.

On the bright side, that roommate later apologized for his antics after a different drinking incident where the other roommates and I basically saved his life. And since he had a car and knew Chicago, he would periodically take us out on random trips around Chicago during finals week to help us all destress. So, while that incident was really bad, he ultimately was not that horrible of a roommate. That would be the roommate who was having an affair in our dorm room with a married woman, but that's another story (and kinda boring actually).

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
My friend had a very controlling roommate.. the type that's always pushing their way, ideas, morality, etc. on those around them. That relationship only lasted a few months. This type of person was very judgmental.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I wrestled, so I didn't get to go home over christmas break because of the Midlands tournament. I had a very nice suite dorm room with a central living area, separate kitchen, and two side bedrooms with two people each (it used to be this building: Shoreland Chicago - Modern Luxury Rental Apartments in Hyde Park). Over break there was basically no one in the whole building, but I forgot that I had one roommate who lived in Chicago....

He was Korean, pre-med, and a biochem major. So were nearly all of his friends. Which meant many of them had the aldehyde dehydrogenase mutation (cannot metabolize alcohol and intoxicate more rapidly), and the guys all came from a particularly Korean-Chicago cultural group that highly valued alcohol tolerance. As pre-meds, they had just finished a very high stress academic term and were looking to blow off a lot of steam. And as bio-chem majors, they had access to lab grade purified 200 proof alcohol.

And on new years eve, when I pretty much just wanted to sleep, he and about a dozen of his friends showed up at our dorm room to have a new years eve party, complete with several liters of pure alcohol.
It became a "man" contest where all the men were trying to outdrink each other, out-do each other with their various shots, and spent a lot of time hitting on and groping the one unattached woman who was there.
I didn't sleep.
I didn't drink.
I did babysit.
I did break up a fight.
I did put out the rather large fire they set when they attempted to do flaming shots and exploded the shot glasses. Unfortunately, they tried to put it out too, with their beers.
I did clean up a lot of puke.

On the bright side, that roommate later apologized for his antics after a different drinking incident where the other roommates and I basically saved his life. And since he had a car and knew Chicago, he would periodically take us out on random trips around Chicago during finals week to help us all destress. So, while that incident was really bad, he ultimately was not that horrible of a roommate. That would be the roommate who was having an affair in our dorm room with a married woman, but that's another story (and kinda boring actually).
Not to ruin your story or anything, but if they were actually drinking alcohol from a lab.. they would be dead. There's no such thing as "lab grade purified 200 proof alcohol" that you can drink. Unless you meant they brought it home to clean up with.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
How did you get along with your college roommates? Any strange/weird roommate stories to tell?

my freshman year roommate and I were complete opposites who essentially acted very cordial to one another but never hung out nor engaged in any meaningful or lengthy discussions. We simply recognized each others right to exist haha and were respectful of each other's space. no animosity or dislike just we both knew we had no common interests.

My sophomore year roommate was a guy from high school I knew. Good roommate because he essentially went home almost every other weekend. There was a good 2 month period in the fall where he was dating some girl back home and like clock work would leave campus friday afternoon and come back sunday evening. So basically the room was mine every weekend.

junior and senior year i was an RA and had my own room.

My last semester I lived with 2 guys I knew in an apartment. One I knew going in was going to be annoying but he was my friend all the same. The other I thought would be chill and easy going....turned out to be a huge Dbag. I was student teaching that semester and would use the dining room table to grade and lesson plan in the evenings and sometimes leave my stuff on the table over night and gather it in the morning before heading off to school. He would rip me for leaving my mess all over the common area and taking up space even though he never used the table and never ever ate in. He was also a thermo-nazi. If you even slightly tried to keep the apartment warm in the winter or cold in the summer he'd go ape crazy.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Not to ruin your story or anything, but if they were actually drinking alcohol from a lab.. they would be dead. There's no such thing as "lab grade purified 200 proof alcohol" that you can drink. Unless you meant they brought it home to clean up with.
I think you are thinking butyl alcohol for cleaning?
This was ethyl alcohol for dna extractions (e.g. chloroform, ethanol, ethanol washes) and tissue dehydrating.
Like this:
Ethanol, 200 proof, anhydrous, ≥99.5% | CH3CH2OH | Sigma-Aldrich
Ethanol, Absolute (200 Proof), Molecular Biology Grade, Fisher BioReagents™ - 10784022 - Chemical Product Phy.Prop Display - Fisher Scientific

It's not like they were chugging this stuff by the liter, but they were using it to mix drinks a shot at a time.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Spectroscopic grade ethanol. It is distilled with an entraining agent to form a ternary azeotrope that allows all of the water to be removed, and then a simple fractional distillation can be used to separate the entraining agent.

Reagent grade ethanol is denatured to render it undrinkable, and also to avoid a very hefty tax.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Reagent grade ethanol is denatured to render it undrinkable, and also to avoid a very hefty tax.
Yeah, I expected what they had to be denatured too, but it was a different grade (and like $50 a liter, 20 years ago). Either way, the important part was that it was a really bad idea try flaming shots with it.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Hate living with anyone. I had one weirdo who used to freak out if I used the microwave after 10pm.. I one time was in the library for 2 days, came home at 10:30 and made a can of soup. He then updated his facebook status to "im going to kill somebody".. I locked my door. Next thing I know I have someone screaming at me, saying "FCK YOU I CANT SLEEP" literally crying and saying I can't eat past 10.

I told him I'm tired and eating and told him to go away.

Yeah, one year lease and it was like that for a long time...
That must have been a long year.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
My room mate story is of the "its a small world variety"

I went to a large, >25,000 student private university in a metropolitan area of the Northeast. This was way before social media, internet, cell phones etc. Back in the day, you didn't get to choose your room mate, you didn't meet your room mate ahead of time, no names addresses whatever...you just showed up on campus were told what dorm to report to and met your room mate for the first time that day.

I show up to my dorm room drop off my stuff, the other side of the room is already largely moved in. I say good bye to my folks and head to the student center with about 5000 other Freshmen to get my ID. As I'm in line I am talking to the guy ahead of me, small talk usual stuff. Conversation turns to what dorm are you in? Hey me too! What floor are you on? Same as me, cool. Wait, what room are you in? Hello room mate!

30 years after graduation we still talk and get together every year or so despite living 3000 miles apart...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities