Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 PM

605 posts, read 866,673 times

Advertisements

What courses are required in your state to get an MSN?

Here, one can have a BA in anything, then go onto an MSN, we also have accelerated programs for the RN to the BSN and MSN---but I'm wondering if the curriculum differ from school to school, or state to state for an MSN??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post

Here, one can have a BA in anything, then go onto an MSN, we also have accelerated programs for the RN to the BSN and MSN---but I'm wondering if the curriculum differ from school to school, or state to state for an MSN??
I've never seen an MSN program in Texas that did not require a BSN, but I've heard there are some accelerated programs where you can "convert" your bachelor's degree to the BSN, then dive straight into the MSN.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:

Why do you want a Master's degree in Nursing? If you are truly interested in the practice of nursing, you might want to look into your current undergraduate course of study and make an appointment with the someone in the College of Nursing in order to decide what your options might be. Unfortunately there are degree tracks for non-nursing majors, but I do not know the pre-reqs, those particulars vary among institutions.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Why do you want a Master's degree in Nursing? If you are truly interested in the practice of nursing, you might want to look into your current undergraduate course of study and make an appointment with the someone in the College of Nursing in order to decide what your options might be. Unfortunately there are degree tracks for non-nursing majors, but I do not know the pre-reqs, those particulars vary among institutions.
I am 3 courses and an internship away frommy bachelors in Psychology, why do a 360 and start all over...It all depends on the school regarding pre - reqs, and whether I want an RN, BSN, or MSN. Another reason I want to earn my MSN is why go from a Bachelors to an AA? (It could be an AS in your state) in Nursing? Kinda unwise dontchya think
I want to move forward - not backward.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I've never seen an MSN program in Texas that did not require a BSN, but I've heard there are some accelerated programs where you can "convert" your bachelor's degree to the BSN, then dive straight into the MSN.
Yes - some programs here have the RN acceleration to the MSN, or the BS (in any major acceleration to RN via MSN
(2 years) kinda cool

Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
I am 3 courses and an internship away frommy bachelors in Psychology, why do a 360 and start all over...It all depends on the school regarding pre - reqs, and whether I want an RN, BSN, or MSN. Another reason I want to earn my MSN is why go from a Bachelors to an AA? (It could be an AS in your state) in Nursing? Kinda unwise dontchya think
I want to move forward - not backward.
First of all, "RN" is a license, NOT a degree and I ask again, why nursing? Have you any experience in healthcare? You haven't really answered the question and "...Another reason I want to earn my MSN is why go from a Bachelors to an AA?..." indicates that you really haven't a clue about nursing or the options available. Before anyone can help, YOU have to know what it is you wish to accomplish. Therefore, I repeat, make an appointment with someone at your college who can sit down with you and give you the options available for someone with your credits that might permit you to dual major. Most colleges of nursing require you to apply in the sophomore year and not everyone is accepted. Good luck to you.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:10 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
First of all, "RN" is a license, NOT a degree and I ask again, why nursing? Have you any experience in healthcare? You haven't really answered the question and "...Another reason I want to earn my MSN is why go from a Bachelors to an AA?..." indicates that you really haven't a clue about nursing or the options available. Before anyone can help, YOU have to know what it is you wish to accomplish. Therefore, I repeat, make an appointment with someone at your college who can sit down with you and give you the options available for someone with your credits that might permit you to dual major. Most colleges of nursing require you to apply in the sophomore year and not everyone is accepted. Good luck to you.

Quiet Right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities