Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'll add that for the reasons mentioned above, many OSU grads in liberal arts ended up at Nationwide Insurance (HQ in downtown Cols) and in various call centers around Cols, along with the communications majors.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, liberal arts as an undergrad major might've been okay, but even when I was in college, it was an MRS major: women went into it while looking for a husband getting a degree in medicine or engineering. Her goal was to find a husband who was going to make a good living so that she could stay home with the kids. In the meantime, she needed a major that left her plenty of time to socialize, and many became Greeks, which takes up a ton of time.

Say what you will, but even with "women's liberation" in the 70s, this has still been the plan of a great many women and probably some men in this day and age.

I happen to think it's the lazy way out and they deserve what they get in the end, but we've always had slackers in our society.
Unfortunately, there is some truth here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 AM

158 posts, read 333,013 times
Quote:
I'll add that for the reasons mentioned above, many OSU grads in liberal arts ended up at Nationwide Insurance (HQ in downtown Cols) and in various call centers around Cols, along with the communications majors.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, liberal arts as an undergrad major might've been okay, but even when I was in college, it was an MRS major: women went into it while looking for a husband getting a degree in medicine or engineering. Her goal was to find a husband who was going to make a good living so that she could stay home with the kids. In the meantime, she needed a major that left her plenty of time to socialize, and many became Greeks, which takes up a ton of time.

Say what you will, but even with "women's liberation" in the 70s, this has still been the plan of a great many women and probably some men in this day and age.

I happen to think it's the lazy way out and they deserve what they get in the end, but we've always had slackers in our society.
True in some cases, but the liberal arts is what Ivy League school(and many others) were built off of. Many major firms on Wall Street recruit liberal arts majors from Ivies for the strengths that such a degree provides(I.e. critical/creative thinking, communication skills, writing skills).

Sure, many would call these skills "soft", but your average billionaire(or millionaire) isn't a hardcore math genius, but a visionary who can think outside of the box.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
It seems as if the sales industry is one area where many liberal arts graduates find themselves pursuing after graduation. Do you, or have you known, of any LA grad who did exceptionally well in this field?
A person with "salesperson attributes" does well in sales.

Many liberal arts types are in this field because it is one of the few fields that usually have plenty of openings, and many companies recruit directly from college with the only requirement is having a degree. My former company's sales department (software) was full of people with liberal arts degrees. Many did exceptionally well, many did not, one girl became a territory manager? within four years making over $70,000 base.

The degree requirement was just to prove the person has the abilities to comprehend the product and other instructions given, the salesperson attributes is what gets the person in the door. The recruiter/hiring person will make the determination within ten seconds if the person has these attributes or not.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:

With their business headquarters in downtown Columbus, there are many opportunities for those grads in ANY MAJOR to advance.

Once they get their foot in the door, they can collect some experience, a few professional designations (on the company dime) and continue moving up and up.

What in the world is lazy about THAT???

Please. Don't speak about what you don't know.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
True in some cases, but the liberal arts is what Ivy League school(and many others) were built off of. Many major firms on Wall Street recruit liberal arts majors from Ivies for the strengths that such a degree provides(I.e. critical/creative thinking, communication skills, writing skills).

Sure, many would call these skills "soft", but your average billionaire(or millionaire) isn't a hardcore math genius, but a visionary who can think outside of the box.
In years gone by, the purpose of going to college was to learn history, philosophy, and critical thinking. Once you graduated you would apprentice yourself to someone in your desired field to learn the skills necessary for your career.

Those days are long gone for the most part. Most companies expect to be able to hire someone who can walk in and start working fresh from college.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What?
How is getting a college degree "the lazy way out"?
Right? I guess Engineering and accounting are the only "non-lazy" majors. Most everything else is considered part of Liberal Arts. Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics etc are all Liberal Arts. People on this forum are generally very anti higher education because of their own insecurities about being stuck without a degree at Wal Mart. Any degree can make you successful if you know how to market yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities