Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:43 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Since that's were the jobs are, and pay is.

I'm a millennial, and my friends that studied computers have high paying 6 figure jobs straight out of school. Those that didn't, are either in grad school or have jobs not at all related to their degree.

I will say though that some CS programs are quite outdated, and might not result in a decent job though.
Sure...

but the only problem is that once you all do that, there will be a much greater supply than demand for those jobs, meaning your future wages and employability will still go down...

sorry... Economics 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmm, I've noticed many posts on other forums from programmers who say they can't find jobs. Are they just being too picky?
It's a big field. The business programming jobs have largely been outsourced, or filled with consultants from body shops which hire visa workers by the planeload. So even if you can find such jobs the pay will be lousy and you'll be working with people who aren't so competent (note: there are many competent visa workers but they tend not to work for such body shops). The tech jobs, where programming is critical the main business of the company, are much better, but these jobs tend to be concentrated in a few high-cost areas of the country, and they're also very selective.

Quote:
What about other programmers and developers on the freelance sites who work for peanuts. Are they just hobbyists or not very talented?
Mostly they are in third-world countries where the cost of living is very low.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
...It is far easier to take a discipline, say genetics, and train someone in it to be a programer than the other way around.
This is, most certainly, not true and indicates a lack of knowledge regarding software development.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
...it is easier to train a sales projection expert on software development than to train a software developer on sales projection...
Why do folks just spout this type of disinformation? What kind of software developer do you think you'll get after "training" that "sales projection expert?"

Old 10-03-2014, 05:03 PM

256 posts, read 462,935 times
Do you believe whatever they say? Even the best software engineers I know did not start with 6 figures! Also do not forget that everybody cannot be a software developer! It is very hard to find good software developer. Most people with 4 year CS degree can code however it does not mean they are good at it! You can easily outsource the coders! The key component or difference between coder and software developer is to understand what business want! If you have that talent then you will be making big bucks!

Old 10-03-2014, 05:54 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
The tech field is long overdue for a major correction. IMO investors have way too much taste for companies that only feature a burn rate and a great press release.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,438 times
I should hope not. How boring.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If everyone was an English major, at least we would understand them.

I think what you are trying to say is that because the majority of software developers are male that we wouldn't be helping women by making them become software developers. I find your statement borderline sexist because the reality is that schools are trying to make everyone technically literate and we need both sexes to participate.

The whole thread is silly. We need all kinds of people and what types of jobs are hot now may not be hot in ten or fifteen years. It's really hard when you are starting in college to know for sure what to go for as a young adult. If you hate math you probably should not go into a math related field. A good life is not defined as how much money you make.
Wow. My apologies. That was a horrible autocorrect error. I meant to say that we wouldn't progress in technology.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM

86 posts, read 86,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
Do you believe whatever they say? Even the best software engineers I know did not start with 6 figures!
That's right, and that's reality. Nobody starts off with 6 figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
Also do not forget that everybody cannot be a software developer! It is very hard to find good software developer.
I don't know what you mean by that. Good can mean a lot of things, and unless you have a huge company with Senior Software Developers to interview newbies, it is not hard to find the right people. If that's note the case, well then you are conducting bad business decisions.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 PM

229 posts, read 382,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Perhaps but consider this first.

How do we build systems for the computer to be able to understand the outside physical world? What do we have to know in order to be able to do that?

Let's say you want to build a cybernetic system but one that is psychology based. What do you need to know in order to do that? Or perhaps it is an expert system to be used in the investigation of house fires. If all you do is know how to program, will you be able to get the necessary information from the client to make an efficient program?

A simple problem. I want you to build me an interface with ARCGIS so that for an oil spill here, I want to know where the central point of the slick will be in 8 hours for the given wind and current. Or perhaps I want you to build me a code break system which, for the start, uses the Caesar cipher (and we get more complex from there).

The point is that unless, at least, there is someone on the team who understands the world from more than just a programming standpoint, it is bound to be very inefficient and frustrating. It is far easier to take a discipline, say genetics, and train someone in it to be a programer than the other way around.
I agree with most of this but you do realize that becoming a good programmer is really difficult right? It would not be easy for a geneticist to just pick up programming like it's nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities