Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,230 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to find one?

I've come to realize that I'm at a crossroads in my life, and don't really have much direction besides the over optimistic people at my career center who are all talk and no action and the contradictory remarks on the internet.

I don't want to continue making poor mistakes based on things the career center told me or I read off the internet, and think a real mentor or decent career counselor could help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 21,095 times
I would say my one regret is to not have been involved been at my university (I was a transfer). Often times, at club events or student events, your consistent help in these things can foster strong relationships with the faculty or professors who sponsor/participate.

For example, one of my best friends in college was a very active and passionate member in the gay alliance club at our campus. She's been super involved with the people, the events, and also keeps her mentor (a professor) updated. I was surprised to learn that she had established a strong relationship with her mentor--they met over coffee or even scheduled skype chats every week. As far as I know, they have an established schedule every week to accomplish or work on projects. This could include planning an event or even a research paper about the communities on campus.

My advice is to get to really know the people around you, be it your classes, sports, clubs, counselors or even your community's networking events. Be proactive and work on side projects that exceed others' expectations. You'll surely make connections there. Good luck, OP.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
Professional organizations. Find a professional organization that is related to your major and join the local chapter. They usually have heavily discounted memberships for students. Volunteer for a board or committee position, and you will start building relationships with people who work in the profession.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
The software isn't letting me rep you right now, Arthur, but your advice is right on!

OP, most of us have been there!

You're right: you need better information and advice. In general, go to the source. If you can't, get as close to the source as possible, so find people who are doing the work you want to do and ask them questions. Get internships where you can and certainly join the professional associations (while a student, you can get student rates, and see if any of your faculty are in those groups and can introduce you around!)

Also learn what the respected trade manuals or journals are in your profession and read them for free in your college library database (not public library!). Some will be dry as dust, but learn the names of the important (or infamous!) members. Learn the common problems and debates. Formulate your own opinions about them so that you can discuss them intelligently. You'll also find data in them about trends and financial pitfalls.

A good college reference librarian can help you with the journal databases, if necessary.

All of this is extra work and money, but it will pay off handsomely in the end because in many careers, it's about networking. We hire the people we know when we can to avoid the dreaded workplace DRAMA.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,802 times
If your career is in Banking or Finance, then mentors are available at WiseRound.com. Basically people in the banking industry have signed up to offer their services to take a protege under their wing and give career guidance. This is the most value for money service i found. Wall Street Oasis provide a similar service but the price is too high.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It seems like most people would have a friend or family member who is a successful hiring manager that would be willing to spend some time helping with developing a career path..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities