Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is happier?
less marketable major you love 15 48.39%
very marketable major you hate 16 51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times

Advertisements

the person who majored in what they love but not exactly the most marketable degree (i.e history) or the person who majored in something they hate but very marketable (i.e petro engineering)?

or does money overcome unhappiness at the workplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Money can't buy happiness. But it can definitely help rent it.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
It depends. If the history major is homeless or something, then the petroleum engineer. But if the history major can support himself and just doesn't have a ton of extras, then the history major.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:14 PM

309 posts, read 515,862 times
While love/hate is one criteria, can/cannot do is another. Hence:
1. do what you love and can do well = happier
2. do what you love but cannot do well = not so happy
3. do what you hate but can do well = not so happy
4. do what you hate and cannot do well = natural disaster!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:20 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Well, the history major will be thinking about what if he'd chosen a more marketable major...and will be broke.

The engineering major will be thinking about what if he'd chosen something he loved...and will have money to console him.

I'd rather be the engineer.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,859 times
Neither. Stop using external sources/things to make you happy.

There is only one source of happiness; you. That's it. You control your own mind, that's it.

Last edited by aaa127; 11-03-2014 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 AM

46 posts, read 61,329 times
The business major might retire early and pursue whatever interests he found / finds enjoyable.

A la Gordon Wasson.

The history major may find out that in addition to not making much money, years and years of doing *anything* tend to get tedious.

Obviously the ideal is a balance.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM

73 posts, read 187,016 times
My wife left a job that paid much more to go into education that she said was her perfect career.

I had higher paying jobs that I didn't really like.

As it turned out, she complained about her job much more than I did, over the years.

We're both retired now and it didn't really matter that much. A job is a job and it's all working toward retirement. Go for the best benefits and income.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
NOOOOO. Don't go after the money in hopes of saving for retirement "so that you can then do what you really want to do." If you reach retirement, and if you happen to be in decent health, guess what... you will be too fricken old to do what you really want to do!

This is a joke right? That people, without using the real language of the situation, are stating... work for someone else doing their will for the entirety of your youth, earning little green pieces of paper the value of which you have no control over but which will certainly decline over time, in hopes that someday when you are no longer of value to your employer you can then reach out of your indentured servitude to do what you've always dreamed of in old age using the residual value of the green pieces of paper to support your lifestyle!

Come on... be serious folks... if that sounds good/reasonable to you, you need to stop drinking the Kool-aid or at the very least stop encouraging others to do it.

Do you realize that if everyone chooses the way of the Engineer in the OP's example in search of riches vs doing what they enjoy doing/have actual interest in, you won't see hardly progress in any of the fields of human achievement? I'm unapologetic in pointing out I have yet to see but a mere handful of people retire happy after spending their entire youth in jobs they hated... if you are continually planning for the future worrying about it, guess what... you will miss TODAY.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Money can't buy happiness. But it can definitely help rent it.
I agree that money does not buy happiness, but like it or not, you need it to live. While some people (surprisingly) argue against my logic, the three basic needs you have are food, clothing, and shelter. All three of those things cost lots of money. If you can barely afford those because you have gotten a worthless degree and are slinging hash, that makes for a pretty miserable existence. If you are working slightly better than slinging hash and can at least afford the basic necessities but can't do much else, while the stress may be lower, that still makes for a pretty miserable existence. So yes, you do need to make a decent wage to afford a good quality of life. As far as making friends, finding a significant other and things like that, no amount of money will help you on those. That's where the money can't buy happiness saying comes into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities