Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,399 times

Advertisements

I've been researching graduate programs for the past couple months in an effort to further my self and pursue my career. The issue is I am having a hard time deciding between MSW programs and School Counseling programs as both have aspects that I am drawn to.

I've read countless websites that supposedly try to help you "choose" but the majority of these sites are simply offering definitions for "social work" and "counseling."

I have also come across threads talking about going for a MSW because of the versatility of the degree as opposed to a Masters of Science in Counseling. I have seen MSW's being talked up because of job opportunities, insurance reimbursement, and more; all of which would seem to make the decision quite simple from a practical standpoint.

However, in my state and several others that I have looked into the state certification requirements for becoming a School guidance Counselor (H.S. level) are a Master's in school counseling. This presents my dilemma.

So I have a few questions that I haven't yet seemed to find answers to:

1) Some state certification requirements list a Master's in School Counseling or similar degree as a prerequisite. Some list other counseling areas as acceptable in fulfilling this requirement, but I haven't seen any examples being given for MSW -- would a MSW be considered a similar degree/credential/area of study?

2) Would it be possible to obtain a MSW and a certificate of advanced study in counseling/school counseling as an alternative to a MSC in order to receive certification (thereby receiving the benefits of having a MSW)?

3) Other options that I have come across -- MSW + Ed.S. or MSW + MSC -- but would holding two degrees make me more marketable or become a hindrance in the job market (being undecided, "over-qualified")

Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 07:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,498,607 times
Insurance reimbursement has become less of a problem for LPCs, LMHCs, and LMFTs because of the Affordable Care Act. Which state are you in?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 PM

I'm in Maryland currently, but am open to relocating (I'm not really all that interested in private practice currently)

Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,344,282 times
An MSW will not let you operate as a counselor; you need a graduate degree in counseling. School counseling jobs are few and far between.

What do you do now?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Currently I'm doing warehouse work while completing an undergrad degree in social psychology. I'm just trying to figure out what my next steps will be

Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,498,607 times
There are school social worker jobs. In my state, school social workers are pretty rare. We mostly depend on school counselors. School counselors are required to have a couple of years of teaching experience here. Maryland is the same way unless you graduated from a CACREP-accredited program. With that, it looks like you don't need the two years of teaching experience. If you just train in school counseling, you won't have the flexibility of an LPC/LMHC, LMFT, or LMSW/LCSW. I don't know how many states will let you become a school counselor without teaching experience and a school counseling-specific practicum.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,344,282 times
Back to add that I know of two school districts that do not have counselors and social workers on staff; they contract with a social service agency, who provides those services to their schools. Just based on casual conversation I get the impression that qualified employees may apply for these school openings as they occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities