Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 PM

32 posts, read 40,016 times

Advertisements

My son got accepted to University of Minnesota, computer science.He got academic scholarship. His girlfriend got accepted too.

He also got accepted to Northeastern University Boston.

He got a presidential scholarship for University of Vermont. 64000.

Which better place to go???I am European, new to this system, have never been to Minneapolis, short time in Boston, Please share your opinion. Money not an issue.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,561,983 times
Those are all great colleges so no bad choices! My son lives in Burlington, Vermont and his college is adjacent to UVM. Burlington is a fabulous place to live and go to college, and it's more reasonably priced cost of living wise, than Boston. If your son likes outdoor activities like skiing and hiking, this is the place to go. The college has more out of state students than most US public colleges and a good reputation.

Of the three locations, Boston will be the most expensive. On the plus side Boston is a wonderful city and full of college students and will be the most cosmopolitan of the three. Northeastern is probably the best college academically also. It's in a great location in the middle of the city and right on the T line for easy public transportation. They do an excellent study abroad there also so many of the other students will be more globally minded. Maybe. In the Computer Science major Northeastern may be a real pressure cooker. Transportation from Boston will be less expensive than the other two locations. BTW, they have 8 feet of snow (2.4 meters) on the ground right now. From Boston, he could easily do a day or weekend trip to NYC via train.

I know nothing about Minneapolis but it's in the middle of the country so if he wants to visit either coast it's going to be an expensive flight. Probably the least expensive place to live.

All three of these locations are in the Northern tier of the US and will be cool from November until the end of March.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 AM

35,120 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Boston has a pretty hot tech market, so he would likely be able to find something locally when he graduates.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,949,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Boston has a pretty hot tech market, so he would likely be able to find something locally when he graduates.
Minneapolis is also. They've got a couple companies that all by themselves make it a great tech market. 3M and Medtronics.

Normally I'd say that weather would be more of a factor against Minneapolis when comparing to Boston, but this year it's the other way around.

Cost of living between the two cities is not even close. It'll take twice the money in Boston to live comparable to the cost of living in Minneapolis.

Which college is the best route to go discounting location? That's a tough call academically and prestige wise. No expertise on that one from me. I can say that U. of Minnesota has one big negative for me, but I know for others it means nothing. The campus is huge with nearly 50,000 students.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,938,961 times
I made some comments on this thread in another location..

I live in the Boston area, but grew up in Burlington, VT , and graduated from UVM over 30 years ago. I've also visited Minneapolis a number of times, and seriously thought about moving there once ( very nice area). All of your choices are very good. UVM will be the smallest school ( probably a bit under 10,000 students), while Northeastern will have 20,000+, and the University of Minnesota will have 40,000+, set in Minneapolis-St. Paul ( which now has two subway lines). Some will say that Boston is the obvious choice, because of all the students here, but don't discount the other two. Minneapolis will be the cheapest of the three ( yes, Burlington, VT, although small, is quite expensive now), and also the coldest ( although Burlington isn't far behind) and the city itself is booming right now. Pretty nice that he's got a scholarship to UVM and the University of Minnesota, too ( along with the girlfriend). Most of the time these high school romances don't last, but maybe's this one's different, although becoming acquainted with thousands of other college students might change one's mind..

In sum, all of your choices are good here. Keep in mind that Burlington is the smallest by far, but that Montreal is only 90 miles away ( need a passport now)...

Old 02-24-2015, 12:24 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
All good choices. I live in Boston, its a good place to be a student. I lived in Burlington as a student, its also a great place.

I'm not a gopher fan, but he can't go wrong their either.

I'd take one of the scholarships for sure. I can say, all the tech NEU grads I know were employed quickly and at well paying jobs. They're system is good for getting you in the door with the co-ops. But the tuition is high and many have large student load burdens.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:53 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Toobussytoday just about covered it. However, I have a few things to add.

If he is looking for a contained campus, Northeastern does not have one. None. Scattered buildings through out the city of Boston. Some students love that, and others feel that they are missing out on campus life. Norteastern prides itself in this fact (I've seen some of their literature)
I believe their catch phrase was "BOSTON is our campus!)

I know the least about University of Minneapolis, except to say that it's well regarded and that people from the Twin Cities tend to be very friendly, open minded and progressive. No, you would not be on the coast, but you would be in the American Midwest, which I've discovered has it's own beauty and culture. The Twin Cities are not "backwards" in any way.

University of Vermont is a great choice! I love Burlington too. Small city, but beautiful and vibrant. Stunning really. Solid academics. Beautiful campus. Access to Boston, and to Canada. (Montreal).

My son attends a small progressive liberal arts college in Vermont and he loves visiting Burlington and Boston with friends. To be fair, he also loves not having the distraction of Boston. He can visit when he wants, but Boston is not right outside his doorstep.

My least favorite choice is Norteastern. I prefer a more contained campus, as do my children.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,627,546 times
Northeastern would be my 3rd choice of those options as well, as much fun as Boston itself can be as a college town.

For me at 18 it would definitely have been
1) UVM
2) UM-TC
3) NU distant 3rd

I like all 3 cities, but school wise UVM or UM will generally be considered stronger schools, and the Twin Cities is a good post-college job market if he'd consider staying. I'd personally opt for UVM just for scale and location, and the scholarship at least seems like it might swing the cost equation as well.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:28 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,240,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Northeastern would be my 3rd choice of those options as well, as much fun as Boston itself can be as a college town.

For me at 18 it would definitely have been
1) UVM
2) UM-TC
3) NU distant 3rd

I like all 3 cities, but school wise UVM or UM will generally be considered stronger schools, and the Twin Cities is a good post-college job market if he'd consider staying. I'd personally opt for UVM just for scale and location, and the scholarship at least seems like it might swing the cost equation as well.
Program matters...

If you look at rankings for computer science its

1) UM-TC 29th
2) NU 60th
3) UVM distant 3rd as in not ranked

Job market will also be stronger in Boston.

Also Sheena is mistaken about the NU campus...there is one, and buildings "aren't scattered all over the city" it is a very contained area around the Fenway just like its neighbor Boston University which I also attended as an undergrad.

Not basing my knowledge of campus from brochures but as a Northeastern grad school alumni.

I'd say this is a pretty well contained campus similar to any large urban school

Northeastern University Campus Map

You can't beat college in Boston, it was many years ago for me but it was such a tremendous experience both undergrad and grad school...

Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 20,499 times
I can only give input on University of Minnesota. I seriously considered going there. One thing I liked is that many of the buildings are connected by skywalks or tunnels meaning that I wouldn't have to experience the Minnesota winter. The turn-off for me is that many students did not live on campus. Minneapolis is pretty cool city. They great restaurants and breweries. However, there aren't as many other cities nearby. You are more isolated than the other two locations you listed. The Minneapolis airport has many direct flights (domestic and international) so it isn't that big of deal if you can afford to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities