Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Will likely pose a problem if your undergraduate degree can't be verified. The school you wish to attend likely has protocols for foreign programs, but if it no longer is operational, you could have an uphill battle getting your degree recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 21,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Will likely pose a problem if your undergraduate degree can't be verified. The school you wish to attend likely has protocols for foreign programs, but if it no longer is operational, you could have an uphill battle getting your degree recognized.
from what I was told some sort of Law office holds all the students transcripts for up to 7 years however It's not easy to reach such an office and ask them to send my transcripts. I am so mad as I feel I wasted 4 years for nothing. Forget about the money, it's more about the time and effort I put.
I would have preferred to be right now without a degree than being with a useless one.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begogo View Post
from what I was told some sort of Law office holds all the students transcripts for up to 7 years however It's not easy to reach such an office and ask them to send my transcripts. I am so mad as I feel I wasted 4 years for nothing. Forget about the money, it's more about the time and effort I put.
I would have preferred to be right now without a degree than being with a useless one.
Only for 7 years?

Why is it not easy to get in touch with them? Call them or visit them.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begogo View Post
Do they ask for your undergrad diploma when you apply for Graduate school ?

or only a copy of it ?

or not at all ?

Yes. They will find out if you do not have a 4 yr. college degree.

Are you serious?

Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Yes. They will find out if you do not have a 4 yr. college degree.

Are you serious?
But wait I thought your suppose to keep the degree certificate for yourself, no ???

Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 AM

In my experience, nobody cares about the physical diploma, what they care about are the grades on your transcript, which no diploma will tell them.

Have you checked with the school(s) you are applying to? They will tell you right away if your particular undergraduate institution is even one from which they would accept a degree. Any reputable program is going to require that your previous degree be from an accredited institution that can be verified. They're not just going to go on your word.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:40 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
^^ This. Diplomas are meaningless. Certified transcripts from an accredited institution are everything.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM

How do they verify if the transcripts are real in my case (when my college is closed) ?
I mean will they contact the Council of Higher Education of the country the degree is from or what.

I can get my transcripts to be "Apostille" witch means they are internationally verified and real by the law. Should I do that ?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:06 PM

By whose law?

The only entity that can tell you if they have any means of verifying your attendance and grades at a school that no longer exists is the admissions dept. and/or registrar at the graduate school you want to attend.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:21 PM

653 posts, read 817,003 times
I work in graduate admissions. Transcripts have to be sent directly from the university. If they are international transcripts, they too have to be sent directly from the university or from a translation service. However, I would check with the school or schools you are applying too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities