Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 PM

305 posts, read 724,346 times

Advertisements

It started from a job advertisement that I found on Twitter. It was supposed to be an ad for a pet store nearby, so I applied for it and set up a phone interview for the next day. I called 10 minutes early for a phone interview and the guy started asking me some questions. He's the guy who works for gigats. It's a company that matches you with job openings in my area. He also asked me if I was willing to go back to school if there was nothing interfering with it. I said yes. He also stated that his company will pay for the college education. That was when he directed me to an education counselor who mentioned that the Art Institute has programs for my major. I was uncomfortable with this at first, but I went along with it. I was then directed to the Art Institute, it was a 3 hour call with a guy telling me about the school, and attempting to register me. It involved registering me, getting fafsa set up, and talking to financial aid advisors.

I was very adamant about the No Loans. The guy kept asking me why I don't want loans, and without loans, it would be hard to pay for school. And he kept persuading me to get a loan, and saying it's not that bad. I still said no.

I also selected that I wish to start classes within a month, and he kept asking me why. I just wanted to prepare, and this guy just constantly asks me questions after question over something that's my personal choice.

I said I prefer to take an on-site class, on campus with an actual physical class, but the guy kept pushing me to go online, saying it's not that bad.

After talking to the advisors, after their special Achievement Grant which is $3,000 for one semester(out of $10k for the program.), and $1.7k after pell grants, I would only owe about $3000 just for the semester.

So after some small research, I don't know what to think. I don't know if the Art Institute is an actual school that could help me put my foot in the door for employment, which I could really use right now. I don't know if it's a scam. I don't even know if I should pursue it.

Someone give me advice on what I should do? Is the Art Institute legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
You responded to an ad to work at a pet store, and ended up getting the hard sell for an expensive program that will make you a more attractive candidate to work at a pet store? And you question if it's a scam? Yes, it's a scam.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
You're likely referring to the Art Institutes, a for-profit student loan mill. It is a real organization which will likely do you very little good - look up some reviews. I hope you haven't agreed to anything from them yet. Next time, just hang up and don't be so gullible.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 PM

305 posts, read 724,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You're likely referring to the Art Institutes, a for-profit student loan mill. It is a real organization which will likely do you very little good - look up some reviews. I hope you haven't agreed to anything from them yet. Next time, just hang up and don't be so gullible.
I just signed some papers, but didn't pay them a dime. These people were so pushy and aggressive, that I was pressured into doing it. I couldn't say no.

I'm honestly really scared.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Contact a Lawyer TOMORROW and find out how to get out of the contract. You may not have payed a dime, but you may have signed a contract that commits you to 10's of thousand of Dollars.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
What is your major I had a graphics/sign/engraving business for 16 years, and hired Art Institute (Seattle) students almost exclusively. People who are serious students, and talented can get a good education there but it's not cheap. I can tell you about 4 of them that I have kept in touch with.

1. Dropped out, moved away to dodge the student loan debt, now tending bar.

2. Very successful freelance graphic artist, does mostly advertising/packaging work for some major local companies.

3. Works at a textile silk screening business in Spokane as a designer.

4. Works at a major sign business in Seattle that specializes in huge printed images at professional sports stadiums, is flown all over the country.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I just signed some papers, but didn't pay them a dime. These people were so pushy and aggressive, that I was pressured into doing it. I couldn't say no.

I'm honestly really scared.
I do not understand how can you could be scared

Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You responded to an ad to work at a pet store, and ended up getting the hard sell for an expensive program that will make you a more attractive candidate to work at a pet store? And you question if it's a scam? Yes, it's a scam.
End of thread. Perfect answer. Walk away, art institute is a scam.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Highly suspect recruit tactic. That should say a lot to you. I am sure they have successful grads, but that said: I would NOT pay a lot for an art degree. You will never make it back!!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You can take graphic design and art classes at most community colleges.

What the heck did you sign and how? It was a phone call! Do you just sign everything people send you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities