Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times

Advertisements

Uh, why don't you google "sub 3.0 GPA and grad school". You will find plenty of hits relating to med school, B school, and grad school in general and the success stories that follow. It won't be easy, but it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attavamp22 View Post
Okay number 16, I hate to be rude here but your advice from my own view and that of others is just terrible. I am not going to quit while being this close to finishing.

Good For You!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because your plan so far has worked so well?

I didn't say quit, did I?

I said pause ... Then come back and change your major.

Or just go ask your dad. Have a great life!

A "pause" might be a good move if OP was not further along. However, he's right at the finish line. Why waste all the time, money, and effort put into his education just to walk away with nothing? He can re-evaluate his educational goals while having something to show for his efforts to this point.

BTW, AP, have you attended/graduated college? Its tough, and changing majors, or graduating with a major one doesn't care for happens quite often. But realize college is not vocational school. Its not to train you for a specific job.

I like the idea of checking out the military. He could go in as an officer, get job training, along with a ton of benefits. Look especially into the Air Force, they seem to be the best for overall benefits, etc. Can't hurt to at least talk to some recruiters.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:12 AM

OP, do you have any type of credit established? If not, its going to be tough to find a place to live on your own, unless your parents co-sign a lease for you. Also, do you have a vehicle/ Start looking into those issues.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:16 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,794 times
Attavamp22, et al...

Time to take a breather and inject some levity into the situation....

As you can see, no major is "perfect:"

35 Slogans For College Majors If They Were Actually Honest. #6 Is So True.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,548 times
Problem with military officer is that my GPA is too low, being an officer is very competitive and they take guys with GPAs over 3.0.

I have been thinking military for quite some time, I graduate in the fall so if I start the process now will they be able to rescue me from my overbearing parents?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,794 times
Attavamp22....

I too had overbearing parents so I can sooo relate.

Give a listen to this--I had the lyrics plastered on my wall in my room at the sorority house back in the 70s. Your story is as old as time itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dx6Zdx2AJ4

BTW...Kid #2 is in AFROTC at college with the goal of becoming a pilot in the Air Force. This summer she is trying to get her pilot's license. Last week she flunked her flight test and will have to take it over at $200 a pop.

...and so it goes...

Oh, and FYI--the military can't rescue you--only YOU can do that.

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 07-05-2015 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: added a comment.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:33 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,318,980 times
Quote:
Okay number 16, I hate to be rude here but your advice from my own view and that of others is just terrible. I am not going to quit while being this close to finishing.
There may be advantages to taking a break (not the same as quitting) before finishing off the degree. One of them is that, depending on the school you're at, you could petition to have some of your worst semesters expunged from your record, thus allowing you to redo a bunch of classes in a major that you really prefer to study. I work at a university and have seen this several times; many universities have very lenient "forgiveness" policies.

On the other hand, you can just sprint ahead and finish off the degree, though you'll probably wind up back in school if you really want to study finance or something unrelated to your current major. I've seen a few students return to college for a second BA, and there's really no stigma in doing so. Alternatively, you wouldn't be the first person in the world to graduate with a low gpa in one field, and successfully enter into another field after graduation. I'm sure there are MBA/MA programs around that would consider you, though they may admit you on probation for the first year, requiring you to complete all of your coursework with a B or better. It will take a lot of savvy and work on your part, but it can be done.

Another approach is to finish your current degree, but stretch the completion time to one year, instead of one semester, so you can take a course or two in finance. If you do well in these courses, you may be able to transfer them to another program in the future, if you go that route. Otherwise, the courses may do you good anyhow, if you decide to graduate in your current field and switch to another after graduation. If you extend your graduation timeline, you can also continue to use the university's resources, like the career center and counseling office, during that period. Once you graduate, you may not necessarily have access to those resources.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Problem with military officer is that my GPA is too low, being an officer is very competitive and they take guys with GPAs over 3.0.

I have been thinking military for quite some time, I graduate in the fall so if I start the process now will they be able to rescue me from my overbearing parents?

Please, stop hating on your parents so much

Really, I do understand totally where you're coming from! Decades ago, I , too, was 21 and thought I hated my parents, too. It was just that I was chomping at the bit to get out and be on my own. I think its a part of growing up. Just the same as you grow physically, you grow psychologically, too. If you still cling to your parents, like you did when a child, well, you would never move on into the true adult world.
You are just letting go of your childhood, and entering the adult world. Perhaps you need to dismiss your parents, for awhile, to complete the growing process.

But don't burn your bridges. They are the ones you would call if in a wreck, or needed a kidney!

I'm now struggling with my two "adult" kids. I'm trying to launch them, with things like establishing credit, give them each a car---ok, an "old" but serviceable car, to spare them the expense of buying a new one now, so that gives them at least 1-3 years without that expense

We offered to let them both live at home, no rent, if they went to college. We're not trying to control them, just help them on their way----but seems they want no part of any of it! Just realize, like I told my kids, circumstances change. We might not always be able to offer them what we can now...we, parents, have ourselves to think about, as well.

its a tough world out there! Many lessons you learn the hard way, but life's a tough, unforgiving teacher.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,274,820 times
Take only the classes necessary to finish your degree in chemistry and fill in as many credits as you can with classes in economics, business, and accounting. If you can meet with an adviser (or search online) in the business dept if there is one there as to the minimum classes needed to get into an MBA program. There are a lot of MBA programs you can take evenings or online. In the meantime you might try to apply for jobs with a pharmaceutical company as a traveling salesman, thus getting you away from your parents into a good job with benefits and out into society. Something like that would also add to your resume when applying for a master's at business schools.

I wouldn't worry too much about your gpa in such a difficult subject as long as you graduate. Adding as many initial business classes as you can should help pull your averages up. Always a good idea to combine skills and make use of your past learning. You can customize your business degree when you get into a program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities