Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,847,753 times

Advertisements

this may, on the surface, look like a sports question, but it is not.

what if you were asked to come up with a second ivy league……let's call it The Gothic League since that offers that same ivy -like feel.

the Ivy League has 8 members, all private institutions….Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown, Yale, Cornell (primarily private), Columbia, Princeton, and Penn. The Gothic League would also have to have 8 members, all private institutions (sorry….UVa, U-M, & Cal aren't invited). but the region for the the gothic league would not overlap the Ivy. It would not have any schools in the northeast corridor.

So here's the deal…..create a Gothic League based on the academic reputation, the Ivy-like similarities….of 8 universities that are not in the northeast. These universities must be picked on the basis of their academics; athletics should not be considered and if a school doesn't even play sports, it is still fine to include it. Also, a school's desire to play in such a league is totally irrelevant.

Thus the New England and Mid-Atlantic states are off the board; areas picked must be from outside the region.

No school can be on the list if it is in ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC

what would your list of 8 look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 08:31 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,818,255 times
Since there are no Ivies in DE, MD or DC I'm not sure why they are excluded?

So I guess we are looking for private, Research 1 schools with stellar academic reputations then? This could be fun.

Off the top of my head I'd go with, in no particular order:

Duke
University of Chicago
Stanford
CalTech
Northwestern
Washington U at St Louis
Rice
USC

If you put DC/MD back in play, I'd add Johns Hopkins and Georgetown maybe?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,734,654 times
Stanford, Caltech, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Case Western Reserve University, Washington University in St. Louis, Duke

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
I love this question because while I am originally from the East Coast, I now live in the mid west, and I am duly impressed with the plethora of prestigious institutions in this region of the country, as well as in the south and west.

Here is my list: (in no particular order)

1. Kenyon College, OH
2.Macalaster College, MN
3.Beloit College, WI
4.Oberlin College, OH
5. Hendrix College, AR
6. University of Chicago
7.Washington University, MO

Runners up are two darlings of academe - Cornell College IA and Earlham College IN.

I'll add three schools that remain religiously affiliated that I also thing deserve to be on the list. Since none of the Ivies retain religious ties, I left out these schools, but I think they deserve a mention -

1. Gustavus Adolphus, MN
2.Notre Dame IN
3. St.Olaf. MN

Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,847,753 times
Chicago
Northwestern
Washington STL
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Rice
Stanford

Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,928,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
this may, on the surface, look like a sports question, but it is not.

what if you were asked to come up with a second ivy league……let's call it The Gothic League since that offers that same ivy -like feel.

the Ivy League has 8 members, all private institutions….Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown, Yale, Cornell (primarily private), Columbia, Princeton, and Penn. The Gothic League would also have to have 8 members, all private institutions (sorry….UVa, U-M, & Cal aren't invited). but the region for the the gothic league would not overlap the Ivy. It would not have any schools in the northeast corridor.

So here's the deal…..create a Gothic League based on the academic reputation, the Ivy-like similarities….of 8 universities that are not in the northeast. These universities must be picked on the basis of their academics; athletics should not be considered and if a school doesn't even play sports, it is still fine to include it. Also, a school's desire to play in such a league is totally irrelevant.

Thus the New England and Mid-Atlantic states are off the board; areas picked must be from outside the region.

No school can be on the list if it is in ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC

what would your list of 8 look like?
I came up with regional lists. I limited the list to Private universities with a national student body.

My lists are not a list of the "best" universities in the country but rather the highest ranked PRIVATE universities outside of the so called "prohibited" states. There are many FABULOUS universities that are not part of the Ivy League in those so called prohibited states that are better than the ones I listed below. Think MIT (MA), Carnegie Mellon (PA) and Johns Hopkins (MD) and many others not listed.

Additionally, there are many FANTASTIC public universities. Especially in CA and the south. I propose a list of "Public Ivies" from all states as follows:

UC Berkely (CA)
UCLA (CA)
Virginia
Michigan
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
William and Mary (VA)
GA Tech
Penn State

Note how many fantastic schools are from the south (half).

Edited to add: I read some of the other lists. I excluded Liberal Arts colleges. There are some fantastic ones but the Ivy League is not a group of LAC so I excluded them.

Here are my regional lists:

West
Stanford
Cal Tech
USC
Rice
Pepperdine
SMU
BYU
Baylor

Southeast
Duke
Vanderbilt
Emory
Wake Forest
U of Miami
Tulane

Midwest
U of Chicago
Northwestern
Wash U
Notre Dame
Case Western
Marquette
Loyola
St. Louis

Old 03-08-2014, 02:41 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,774,254 times
Ignore the geographic overlap part, the UAA is very close to what the OP is looking for University Athletic Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, especially considering that several of those schools could probably easily transition to Div I if they wanted to.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I love this question because while I am originally from the East Coast, I now live in the mid west, and I am duly impressed with the plethora of prestigious institutions in this region of the country, as well as in the south and west.

Here is my list: (in no particular order)

1. Kenyon College, OH
2.Macalaster College, MN
3.Beloit College, WI
4.Oberlin College, OH
5. Hendrix College, AR
6. University of Chicago
7.Washington University, MO

Runners up are two darlings of academe - Cornell College IA and Earlham College IN.

I'll add three schools that remain religiously affiliated that I also thing deserve to be on the list. Since none of the Ivies retain religious ties, I left out these schools, but I think they deserve a mention -

1. Gustavus Adolphus, MN
2.Notre Dame IN
3. St.Olaf. MN
Earlham is Quaker.
Kenyon is Episcopalian.
Macalester is Presbyterian.
Hendrix is United Methodist.
The U of Chicago has Baptist ties.

Actually, most of the Ivy League schools have religious origins as well:
Brown-Baptist
Columbia-Church of England
Dartmouth-Puritan
Harvard-Puritan
Princeton-Presbyterian
Yale-established as a seminary for the Congregational Church

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-08-2014 at 07:19 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Additionally, there are many FANTASTIC public universities. Especially in CA and the south. I propose a list of "Public Ivies" from all states as follows:

UC Berkely (CA)
UCLA (CA)
Virginia
Michigan
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
William and Mary (VA)
GA Tech
Penn State
Penn State? Seriously? Penn State is good at whatever measures US News uses, but . . ." No one has ever won a Nobel Prize while serving on the Penn State faculty. No one who has served on the Penn State faculty has won a Nobel Prize after leaving Penn State. Penn State has never hired a faculty member with a Nobel Prize. No one with an advanced degree from Penn State has ever won a Nobel Prize. Here is an additional fact which Penn State will tout: one alumnus, with a B.S., went on to win a Nobel Prize. Paul Berg, a 1948 graduate, won the 1980 Nobel Prize in Chemistry"for his fundamental studies of the biochemistry of nucleic acids, with particular regard to recombinant-DNA." "

Left of Centre: Nobel Laureate Inks Marketing Deal with Penn State

Penn State is not a high academics school. They have a low acceptance rate at the main campus, b/c they've been busy developing their commonwealth campuses. At first, back in the 1970s, one was supposed to go to the CC for two years then transfer to the main campus. Only a select few got admitted directly to the main campus. Some people still do that. However, these days, some of the CCs have grown and offer bachelor's and even master's degrees themselves. University of Wisconsin, University of Washington and maybe even University of Colorado-Boulder would be a better choice.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Earlham is Quaker.
Kenyon is Episcopalian.
Macalester is Presbyterian.
Hendrix is United Methodist.
The U of Chicago has Baptist ties.

Actually, most of the Ivy League schools have religious origins as well:
Brown-Baptist
Columbia-Church of England
Dartmouth-Puritan
Harvard-Puritan
Princeton-Presbyterian
Yale-established as a seminary for the Congregational Church

You are correct. However, they have long since abandoned any ties with those churches. I don't think they give scholarships based on faith.

Trinity in Connecticut and Bard in NY were Episcopalian. I don't even think Bard has regular chapel.The building remains. Not the way one would find at St.Olaf, which is an ELCA congregation in and of it self.

I also doubt there is much Baptist left at U o Chicago.

I think almost all first generation colleges in the US were founded by some Protestant church.

Second generation - Think Carnegie Mellon and others founded by the robber baron set, were fully independent.

There is nothing wrong with a college having religious ties. However, I doubt that anyone thinks of Columbia as a "Christian College".

I also did not include "institutes of technology", because while MIT shares Cambridge with Harvard, it's still not "Ivy League".

How "Christian" is, say Macalaster?

That was how I interpreted the question, private, non religious (currently) and non technical.

What would your list look like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities