Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:58 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
This is true. However, there was a huge lawsuit regarding which school was entitled to call themselves USC. University of Southern California won because the courts ruled that most people associate USC with So. Cal. Thus, they are USC and the University of South Carolina is UofSC.
That's not what the lawsuit was over. It was over logos used on baseball caps. Southern Cal said SC's logo was too similar. The two logos are simply the letters S and C interlocking. https://patentlyo.com/patent/2010/01...-carolina.html

Apparently Southern Cal fans were buying SC baseball hats by mistake. I would not have confused the two because SC doesn't have gold in their school colors.

SC can use the abbreviation USC if they want to and I'm sure they do at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
That's not what the lawsuit was over. It was over logos used on baseball caps. Southern Cal said SC's logo was too similar. The two logos are simply the letters S and C interlocking. https://patentlyo.com/patent/2010/01...-carolina.html

Apparently Southern Cal fans were buying SC baseball hats by mistake. I would not have confused the two because SC doesn't have gold in their school colors.

SC can use the abbreviation USC if they want to and I'm sure they do at times.
I have two friends who are professors at UofSC. After the court ruling, they mentioned that the provost notified everyone that UofSC could not "officially" call themselves USC any longer. And, in fact, they now refer to the school as UofSC.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
The court ruling never had anything to do with use of USC. SC and Southern Cal had agreed back in the 1980s to both use USC.

SC was trying to trademark SC because people typically associate SC with South Carolina. All the court ruling did is prevent SC from trademarking SC because numerous other colleges also use SC such as Santa Clara. The court said that there is no evidence that people associate SC exclusively with South Carolina.

From SC's website, Welcome to Trademark and Licensing Program

SC's trademarks include the word USC but not UofSC. In addition to those words, Logos and trademarks include: Interlocking USC, Interlocking SC (baseball/softball)

SO I misunderstood the court ruling and SC can still use an interlocking SC baseball hat logo. I saw some SC baseball hats available with the interlocking SC logo on an sports apparel website. It seems unlikely that SC and southern Cal apparel are both going to be available for sale at local retailers anyway given the distance between the two fanbases.

SC's decision to use UofSC does not appear to be based on this court ruling and I only see it used for social media purposes. They mostly likely use it for social media because southern Cal had already created USC handles on social media. UofSC isn't on any apparel that I have seen. SC probably doesn't have a problem using UofSC for social media given it tried to trademark SC.

SC's main logo is a C with a gamecock inside of it.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 09-08-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 01:52 PM

944 posts, read 1,211,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Fun fact: All of the schools that used to be in the Big Eight Conference arrange their initials ending in "U." Apparently it was some conference standard at the time.

University of Colorado: CU
University of Kansas: KU
University of Missouri: MU
University of Nebraska: NU
University of Oklahoma: OU
It had something to do with the way the conferences were ordered in newspaper box scores in the mid-20th century... after the Big 10, SEC, and whatever the Pac-10 was at the time. Hence UK is Kentucky, UO is Oregon, UM is half a dozen schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities