Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:03 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I thought about joining Peace Corps about five years ago. I never finished my application. My professor recommended it and said that it would be good experience. I know I would have lots of trouble being accepted into Teach for America, though (I don't even qualify), and the way people are talking about Peace Corps, it's sounding a little like Teach for America. Plus, there are all of the perils that come along with living and working in a foreign country. It would be okay if were with a relatively large camp of people from the U.S., but what if that's just not the case? I don't know how well I would adjust if it were just me, maybe some other more experienced volunteer, and a whole group of natives. Plus, what if I were put somewhere I DID NOT want to be, like the Middle East? I guess it could be an experience, but after all of this talk in the U.S. about "honor killings" and strict traditions that they hold, I would, understandably, be a little worried.
Here is your fundamental problem -- you are absolutely scared of stepping out of your safe little box because of all the possibilities and what if that you just don't know. You have to get out of that box because it's choking you. If you don't break the stranglehold your fears have on you now, you never will. You don't have to do Peace Corps or any other specific job, but it's time to step out of the safe school box and take your chances alongside the rest of us. You don't have to love it. You don't even have to like it. But you do have to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:14 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Here is your fundamental problem -- you are absolutely scared of stepping out of your safe little box because of all the possibilities and what if that you just don't know. You have to get out of that box because it's choking you. If you don't break the stranglehold your fears have on you now, you never will. You don't have to do Peace Corps or any other specific job, but it's time to step out of the safe school box and take your chances alongside the rest of us. You don't have to love it. You don't even have to like it. But you do have to do it.
^^^agreed.

OP, as a teacher, part of your job is to inspire and motivate. How can you do that if you are terrified of your own shadow?

People do not grow and improve themselves by staying comfortable.

They grow and improve by stepping out of their comfort zone, by stretching themselves, by challenging themselves.

You are scared to go to a friend's birthday party or to the beach, but you think you can handle and INSPIRE a roomful of teenagers?!? They will EAT. YOU. ALIVE.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
^^^agreed.

OP, as a teacher, part of your job is to inspire and motivate. How can you do that if you are terrified of your own shadow?

People do not grow and improve themselves by staying comfortable.

They grow and improve by stepping out of their comfort zone, by stretching themselves, by challenging themselves.

You are scared to go to a friend's birthday party or to the beach, but you think you can handle and INSPIRE a roomful of teenagers?!? They will EAT. YOU. ALIVE.
I kind of want to be taken off of the menu. With all of this talk about being "thrown to the wolves" and "being eaten alive" by kids that are like "a herd of wild beasts." I think perhaps I would have been better becoming a wildlife veterinarian... or maybe a zookeeper or wildlife handler and trainer? At least their behaviors are predictable. Kids, from what I understand now, really aren't.

I did look at teaching sort of like acting or being a speaker on stage when I started the program and it never dawned on me to start asking questions to find out if the story that was fed to me was indeed what the job was really like. I expected to learn a neat little script, have a textbook with many of the answers and activities, and improvise and answer questions as I felt comfortable. That would have made the most sense, but no, that's not how they do it. I never knew it depended so heavily on your own creativity and ingenuity. I've tried to catch up, but it's been a very steep learning curb that I haven't mastered.

Last edited by krmb; 08-16-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
There are free online courses through MIT, Rutgers, others. I think it's called open source courseware. You should check these out. So much to learn in a wide variety of topics, and free!

MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
10 OpenCourseWare Sites for a Free Education
This might be something to look into. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
I thought about joining Peace Corps about five years ago. I never finished my application. My professor recommended it and said that it would be good experience. I know I would have lots of trouble being accepted into Teach for America, though (I don't even qualify), and the way people are talking about Peace Corps, it's sounding a little like Teach for America. Plus, there are all of the perils that come along with living and working in a foreign country.
It would be okay if were with a relatively large camp of people from the U.S., but what if that's just not the case? I don't know how well I would adjust if it were just me, maybe some other more experienced volunteer, and a whole group of natives. Plus, what if I were put somewhere I DID NOT want to be, like the Middle East? I guess it could be an experience, but after all of this talk in the U.S. about "honor killings" and strict traditions that they hold, I would, understandably, be a little worried.
My friend is applying for a country in Africa (you used to just apply for anyplace, now you apply for a specific position in a specific country) and most of the Peace Corp volunteers will be placed in a small village (no electricity & no running water) a two to three hour bike ride (over dirt paths) from any other volunteer. A supervisor (usually a third year volunteer) will visit every six weeks or so. Between those visits (every six weeks) the volunteer is completely, totally, 100% absolutely on their own. Now, a few volunteers may be placed in a regional capital, but all of them will be planning and working on their projects independently.

At least in most places, it is not like you see in the movies, where there are a half dozen Peace Corp volunteers in the same town, living together and having fun together during their "off time". The literature that I have read clearly states that there is no "off time" and although a volunteer may not be physically working all the time it is considered a 24/7 commitment to the community. At least where my friend is applying, she will likely only see another "non-native" once every six weeks, and only get together with other Peace Corp volunteers once a year (when the new volunteers arrive and the two year volunteers leave). Other than that, or extreme emergencies, she will be totally on her own, to carry out various ongoing projects and plan and carryout her own major project for the village where she is placed.

Frankly, KMB, if you are having difficulty when teachers do not leave good lesson plans it is difficult to picture you being placed in village where you have to be in charge and may be the only teacher for miles and miles, teaching all subjects in a different language with no supervision or assistance. Of course, teaching in a larger town would be a little different, with multiple teachers from the community that could help, but I would still assume that it would be a daunting task.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would still assume that it would be a daunting task.

The way you describe it, it would probably be a daunting task for anyone. It sounds like more of an opportunity than substitute teaching could ever provide, though, but I would need at least one other American, preferably from my region, helping me with my projects. I wouldn't want to work alone, just because I'm not outgoing and might be perceived by the natives as unfriendly. Also, Peace Corps trains its volunteers before just dropping them into the new environment, don't they? After having some training in the language, culture, basic etiquette of living in those conditions, perhaps I would be better equipped to handle the situation? Plus, it sounds like in a situation like that, there would also be a lot of relief work going on: well drilling for clean water, teaching the natives to hunt, fish, and grow crops, teaching them English, and building sturdy school buildings. Really, it sounds like a lot of fun. I have no idea how I would get anything accomplished, though, if I were working alone. That would be pretty difficult. I would have to make friends with some of the natives, and that would be a daunting task for me, given my social anxiety, unless by some miracle we just clicked. My adult students respect me, or tolerate me, but I'm not super-friendly. I can't show a lot of emotion or show interest in clients without feeling like I've crossed some kind of invisible social boundary; it just isn't me.

Last edited by krmb; 08-16-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 01:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
The way you describe it, it would probably be a daunting task for anyone. It sounds like more of an opportunity than substitute teaching could ever provide, though, but I would need at least one other American, preferably from my region, helping me with my projects. I wouldn't want to work alone, just because I'm not outgoing and might be perceived by the natives as unfriendly. Also, Peace Corps trains its volunteers before just dropping them into the new environment, don't they? After having some training in the language, culture, basic etiquette of living in those conditions, perhaps I would be better equipped to handle the situation? Plus, it sounds like in a situation like that, there would also be a lot of relief work going on: well drilling for clean water, teaching the natives to hunt, fish, and grow crops, teaching them English, and building sturdy school buildings. Really, it sounds like a lot of fun. I have no idea how I would get anything accomplished, though, if I were working alone. That would be pretty difficult. I would have to make friends with some of the natives, and that would be a daunting task for me, given my social anxiety, unless by some miracle we just clicked. My adult students respect me, or tolerate me, but I'm not super-friendly. I can't show a lot of emotion or show interest in clients without feeling like I've crossed some kind of invisible social boundary; it just isn't me.
It sounds like "a lot of fun" ??? ???

I am a very outgoing person and an extremely self-reliant person. But, even I can't imagine being in a situation, where I am placed in the middle of nowhere, in a country with a different language, being completely on my own (except for a few hour visit once every six weeks to make sure that everything is going OK), expected to walk the narrow line between working professionally with everyone in the village and being friends with everyone in the village (from the new babies to the elderly). Not even mentioning that it may be a several day trek via foot and bike and jeeps on dirt paths/roads just to see a doctor in case of an emergency.

Now, there are placements in larger cities and in Europe, South America and the far east that may be different, but IMHO, still very, very difficult for a person who is not extremely outgoing, social and able to handle any and all problems on their own, without any help.

I'm trying to say this delicately, but from what I know about the Peace Corp, it really does not sound like something that you would be able to handle.

Now, a several week or month long mission trip in a foreign country, that someone else organizes and where you are told exactly what to do and when to do it, may be a great learning experience for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities