Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:44 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,184 times

Advertisements

I'll say English because I have a BA in English. It honed my analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills..."real" skills, not book learnin' skills (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am a healthcare analyst. Has served me well.

But really, job skills helped immensely and at a certain point employers want a degree, any degree, for jobs that are not in a clear category like science.

I knew a masters was in order after figuring out what I was doing. At age 22 I wasn't prepared.

I'm not good at science, computers bore me (love math though), and finance/business was too vague. Looooove literature and discussing it, so majored in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
You might want to look into that.
Schools can put whatever they want in their colleges, but in the college I work in computer science is definitely not a liberal art, nor is it one in any state university in two states that I have worked in. It's considered a technical/professional field, and is sometimes located in the engineering school. Liberal arts are academic subjects, NOT technical or professional.

We don't have any undergraduate programs in actuarial science, but there are actual actuarial schools, which would be a professional school and definitely not a liberal art.

None of those degrees will say BA on them.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Computer science is not a liberal art. I don't think actuarial science is either.
Actually, it is. It's part of the Mathematics and Sciences curricula. Actuarial science is a subset of Mathematics.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Schools can put whatever they want in their colleges, but in the college I work in computer science is definitely not a liberal art, nor is it one in any state university in two states that I have worked in. It's considered a technical/professional field, and is sometimes located in the engineering school. Liberal arts are academic subjects, NOT technical or professional.

We don't have any undergraduate programs in actuarial science, but there are actual actuarial schools, which would be a professional school and definitely not a liberal art.

None of those degrees will say BA on them.
Computer science is the theoretical underpinning of the applied sciences like programming, database management, information technology etc. Coursework frequently overlaps, but then it does in most disciplines. When I returned to college, I went with the information technology curriculum, and took 1 theoretical course -- in project management. All the rest involved programming or other technical skills. The students in computer science were studying why computers could do what they do.

Students graduating with biology or physics or mathematics degrees get BS degrees, but those are all liberal arts. Most colleges consider the "liberal arts" to mean "liberal arts and sciences".

Old 12-22-2015, 02:08 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I'll say English because I have a BA in English. It honed my analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills..."real" skills, not book learnin' skills (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am a healthcare analyst. Has served me well.

But really, job skills helped immensely and at a certain point employers want a degree, any degree, for jobs that are not in a clear category like science.

I knew a masters was in order after figuring out what I was doing. At age 22 I wasn't prepared.

I'm not good at science, computers bore me (love math though), and finance/business was too vague. Looooove literature and discussing it, so majored in that.
OP is looking for a marketable bachelors degree. If you had not gone back for a Masters, do you think just the bachelors would have led to a well-paying job? That is what OP is asking.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,183 times
I found it interesting that philosophy majors have the highest GRE verbal scores.

Really, that fact alone made me respect the major more than I used to.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,272,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I found it interesting that philosophy majors have the highest GRE verbal scores.

Really, that fact alone made me respect the major more than I used to.
Philosophy along with Poli Sci, are great for entrance into law schools. I know my undergrad philosophy degree had an available track for law and I think business.

The degree does require great reading and analytical skills. You're constantly having to argue (in most cases) esoteric points in writing, and if you can do that sort of writing, that can easily translate to law or copywriting or even a technical field. I'd argue that it also forces you to argue different sides of arguments and isn't relegated to one subject, which can help with creativity.

Though, I wouldn't say its the most marketable degree, in combination with another degree like comp. sci., business, it can be a great addition.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP is looking for a marketable bachelors degree. If you had not gone back for a Masters, do you think just the bachelors would have led to a well-paying job? That is what OP is asking.
OP said marketable LIBERAL ARTS, not any degree. Everyone went to marketable ones, which is logical but not everyone is bent that way.

Throughout my work life any degree is what employers want for an undergrad. I don't know anyone with just an undergrad that has a career in the field they studied, unless it is a non-liberal degree.

So maybe the answer is: Doesn't matter.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
OP said marketable LIBERAL ARTS, not any degree. Everyone went to marketable ones, which is logical but not everyone is bent that way.

Throughout my work life any degree is what employers want for an undergrad. I don't know anyone with just an undergrad that has a career in the field they studied, unless it is a non-liberal degree.

So maybe the answer is: Doesn't matter.
I'm just saying, if you had to go back to get a Masters to get a good job, than your English degree was not that marketable as a stand-alone degree. OP isn't looking further than a bachelors.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:27 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Any liberal arts degree from an Ivy League school or top 10 school can be very marketable.

After all, a liberal arts from Yale is worth much, much more than a bachelors in science from DeVry or University of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities