Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 AM

363 posts, read 433,167 times

Advertisements

I have an Associate Degree in Computer IT from a community college. I have almost 30 more credit hours than I needed to graduate. I am trying to go to a University to get a bachelor's degree, but the only problem is very few credit may transfer as in less than 20, and I really don't want to go back to school for at least 3.5 years

I am curious about schools like ECPI, I understand that you can technically get a bachelor's degree, but I've heard they're not very valued. Some even told me that my associate degree is more valued. I have a job now, I worked with my degree for computer companies but all of the jobs are Technical Support, I can't seem to get any jobs other than Technical Support, and I am trying to get better, more valued jobs like System Administrator or Analyst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Why will so few of your credits transfer?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
A relative got an advanced degree online from the University of Phoenix, and it resulted in a substantial promotion and raise at work. That, to me, seems the way those schools should be used. The employer often helps pay for the continuing education and rewards you for successful completion. For someone looking for a first job many companies do consider the source of the degree and look down upon schools like Phoenix and ECPI. That applies mostly to the larger national/international employers. Others, though, such as here where I work (only 2,000 employees) look for the degree but don't care where it's from. Interview questions are designed to help determine whether an applicant really knows the work.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:31 PM

363 posts, read 433,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why will so few of your credits transfer?
It's because my degree is in Computer IT. If I had gotten the two-year transfer degree, then they would have took it as a package and I would have started as a Junior in a university. But, now they have to pick and choose each class separate that relates to my degree.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I have an Associate Degree in Computer IT from a community college. I have almost 30 more credit hours than I needed to graduate. I am trying to go to a University to get a bachelor's degree, but the only problem is very few credit may transfer as in less than 20, and I really don't want to go back to school for at least 3.5 years

I am curious about schools like ECPI, I understand that you can technically get a bachelor's degree, but I've heard they're not very valued. Some even told me that my associate degree is more valued. I have a job now, I worked with my degree for computer companies but all of the jobs are Technical Support, I can't seem to get any jobs other than Technical Support, and I am trying to get better, more valued jobs like System Administrator or Analyst.
Aren't those for profit schools? I think one of them is actually being investigated. They suck people in by making it easy to go there, but in the end you'll spend your money for nothing. Go to a real school. Anything super easy is not going to be worthwhile.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:57 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Cold, hard, fact: In most cases a 4 year for-profit schools (ITT, UoP) cost a LOT and are valued less than a 2 year degree from a community college.

I work at a college with system admins and analysts.
I live in an area with thousands of engineers that work at a NASA site.
I used to work in that industry, too, and we called on the system admins and analysts to get help get our work done.
UoP and ITT have a physical campus here, but 99% of the local technical jobs won't go to their graduates. I know people with UoP degrees, but they typically go to UoP for things like an MBA after they had a 4 year degree from a regular school.

Look at it this way. Figure out the cost of a degree from ITT. Then look up the cost for a comparable degree at your local college for a degree in something like MIS or Information Science. Then look up the typical salary for a system analyst in your area. With a few years of experience, you could probably earn around $70,000. Now that system analyst job is going to be harder to get with a degree from ITT, plus you will likely be carrying a LOT more debt than if you went to the local college. The extra years you will spend at your local college will pay off long term dividends. While you spend more time in school, you will have (1) less debt (2) a degree that is far more respected by local industry (3) potential networking and internship opportunities.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
It's because my degree is in Computer IT. If I had gotten the two-year transfer degree, then they would have took it as a package and I would have started as a Junior in a university. But, now they have to pick and choose each class separate that relates to my degree.
Can you clarify? Do you have an AS, AA, or AAS? It would help to know which community college you attended.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 PM

497 posts, read 427,937 times
Quoted for truth. While not my primary job, I work with HR on occasion to hire technical people to work on my projects. Anyone who's primary qualification comes from UoP, ITT drops in the list. For me anyway this for two reasons - I am concerned about the quality of their training but also about their motivation and ambition. It seems to me that many people who attend these schools are looking for an easy route and may not be so good at strategic thinking.

Petition to have as many of your credits accepted as possible and go to solid state school. The classes you may have to retake will be easy for you and should help get you an excellent GPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Cold, hard, fact: In most cases a 4 year for-profit schools (ITT, UoP) cost a LOT and are valued less than a 2 year degree from a community college.

I work at a college with system admins and analysts.
I live in an area with thousands of engineers that work at a NASA site.
I used to work in that industry, too, and we called on the system admins and analysts to get help get our work done.
UoP and ITT have a physical campus here, but 99% of the local technical jobs won't go to their graduates. I know people with UoP degrees, but they typically go to UoP for things like an MBA after they had a 4 year degree from a regular school.

Look at it this way. Figure out the cost of a degree from ITT. Then look up the cost for a comparable degree at your local college for a degree in something like MIS or Information Science. Then look up the typical salary for a system analyst in your area. With a few years of experience, you could probably earn around $70,000. Now that system analyst job is going to be harder to get with a degree from ITT, plus you will likely be carrying a LOT more debt than if you went to the local college. The extra years you will spend at your local college will pay off long term dividends. While you spend more time in school, you will have (1) less debt (2) a degree that is far more respected by local industry (3) potential networking and internship opportunities.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 PM

366 posts, read 730,461 times
ECPI is accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) which is one of the twelve regional accreditors in the U.S.. ITT Tech is accredited by ACICS (Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools) which is the same accreditor that accredited Corinthian Colleges, the college that one of the other posters was alluding to in an earlier post. Corinthian Colleges has ceased all operations as of 2015 and is one of the current whipping boys of all detractors of for-profit colleges. While ACICS might've fallen asleep at the switch in their accreditation of Corinthian, the fact remains that Corinthian brought their demise upon themselves.

Regardless, both of these accrediting bodies are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Regional accreditation is considered the gold standard of accreditors. However, for those that turn up their noses at anything but regional accreditation, you must consider the source; meaning they're not the one that put any school through the process of accreditation in the first place nor do they represent the USDOE.

So what to do? Do your due diligence. Make sure that your choice now will serve you not only presently but in the future as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities