Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:39 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
ROFL I can't believe I was arguing with trolls.

Yeah, the UOP thread and a few others are the same. Either some graduates are passionate about the school and just run into the forum while googling for their class reunion or something and feel the need to register to make 1 post defending the school..... OR somebody gets paid to troll the net and post positive comments by creating tons of disposable accounts.

Not saying its what is happening, just funny that so many people signed up over the months to make 1 post regarding their school. I guess they didn't ever find anything else worth commenting on.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 25,065 times
Default American Military University

I have a masters degree in Strategic Intelligence from AMU. I graduated in 2004. None of the government or civilian entities that I have applied for employment with accept my master's degree. They state, up front, that AMU is not accredited and this includes DoD and DOE.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 PM

7 posts, read 86,440 times
wow ... this thread is really bad.

Normally I wouldn't post as I use these forums for information regarding CITY DATA but I came across this thread while looking for something. Irregardless, the reason why I am posting is the horrible misinformation and personal bias in this thread that given the time of day will undoubtedly have negative effects on otherwise good intentions.

AMU is fully accredited. It is subaccredited through APUS, American Public University System. This is perfectly normal so say DOE. For those of you that find this school able to meet your needs do not hesitate to pursue your advanced education. I am a graduate honor with University of North Carolina and am currently a happy graduate student with AMU. AMU degrees are highly recognized and accepted within the federal government and outside.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can brag about their posts and how they spend time on these forums not like the trolls but buck online degrees which are becoming mainstream. Brick and mortar will become less and less an option and online degrees that are ACCREDITED will become the mainstay.

Sorry, just reading this thread made me amazed at the ignorance of some who easily cast judgement and offer advice to others without being accurate.

Do your own research, check accreditation, check US NEWS, check primary sources and you will find on your own, not from these morons, whether or not AMU/APUS or any other online program is worth it. Fact is Univ of Phoenix and other online univesities including brick and mortar online degrees have been helping busy people with familes etc advance the in their profession. Accreditation is the key.

Dont be a hater.

DDV

AMU/APUS accreditation follow the links on wiki for it
American Public University System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2008, 09:43 PM

to readtate,

Yep that stinks I feel bad for you. From the way I understand AMU/APUS was nationally accredited when you were in school BUT the main accreditation for just about anything whether your using credit to enroll in school or get a job is the REGIONAL. They didnt get regional accreditation until 2006 which makes your 2004 degree not in the window.

I read some horror stories like yours from other people. This doesnt help you now but as always research research research.

Best of luck to you,

DDV

Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 PM

U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs

I when to Dept of Education database and thought I would post this as well it shows the national (which I understand to be really not worth much) and the regional (which is the normal accreditation then any online or brick and mortar are required to have in order to be transferable and professionally recognized.)

Also a news release I easily came across using google search, people do your own research and quit getting information from some knuckle head spouting crap out.

http://www.apu.apus.edu/News-and-Events/Press-Releases/APUSRegional_final.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by delvek; 09-16-2008 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 65,671 times
So what you long time posters are saying is that since you post more on an obscure internet forum you are more educated and informed on any and all topics than someone that just signed up. Whether that be somebody that has inside information on a topic or not? So I guess a high school dropout that has a few thousand posts would be more knowledgeable than a Harvard law professor who finds a citydata forum about law and makes a onetime post to help people out. Sounds like you might have some since of entitlement or "ownership" of these forums based on senority. That is sad that the only thing that can boost your ego is your online identity. And in case you are wondering I do not attend AMU, I like others am considering a Masters degree and found this thread. And for those that are pro AMU sorry I will probably look somewhere else as there have been to many questions raised for my money.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 24,759 times
Default To answer your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
Is this a good Online University? Does it have a good nation wide validation? Expensive?
Yup, I'm one of those just passing by and decided to register just to respond simply because I happen to have done my research on this issue. So please don't hold that against me. So to answer the question above...

After an in-depth research, I've norrowed my choices for grad school, and AMU is the only online university I am considering (although I am also looking at a traditional sit-down clasroom and two other state universities that also offer online degrees). For my military/defense industry/government colleagues and I, AMU is an acceptable university for what we do. Sounds to me like some people here are not necessarily in the government business, and that is understandable, aswell as their reactions to AMU. I've been told by students and alums that classes are "traditional" in that you can fail if you don't study and/or do your work; A's aren't handed out like other online schools. So if you work in the defense industry/govt, you won't find rejection with AMU. Although I am surprised by another poster's comment that his degree was not recognized. Although he got his degree in 2004 prior to the Regional accreditation in 2006, it was still Nationally recognized - which means government organizations will still recognize it. The only thing not recognized are schools that are NOT accredited, nationally or regionally, like Columbus University. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_University]Columbus University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

"Does it have a good nationwide validation?" If you mean accreditation, it is nationally and regionally accredited. As you've already read, it is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools [URL="http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?institution=&state=WV&submit=Search&form _submitted=TRUE&Itemid=192&option=com_directory&sh owquery="]Higher Learning Commission[/URL]
and nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission, Distance Education and Training Council. You will find it under "American Public University System" which includes 'American Public University' and 'American Military University' (much like University of Illinois-Champaign and U of I-Springfield are in the same system). Below are other insitutions in the same accreditation:
Arizona State University
Colorado State University
Illinois State University
Indiana University
Iowa State University
Michigan State University
Northern Illinois University
Northwestern University
Ohio State University
Pennsylvania State University
Purdue University
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
University of Arizona
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri School of Medicine
University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Medicine
University of Nebraska
University of Notre Dame
University of Oklahoma
University of Wisconsin
Washington University in St. Louis (Harvard of the Midwest)

So, to ignore the accreditation by the said accrediting organization (NCA HLC) is like ignoring the accreditation of the above universities. The people that tested the above institutions are the same people that tested AMU.

Is it expensive? For grad school, it is $275 per credit, which makes it one of the cheapest out there. For undergrad, I think it's $250 and all your books are FREE! If you're military, obviously you get tuition assistance. If a school is not accredited, obviously the military will NOT pay tuition assistance, right?

Anyway, although it is nice to obtain others' "expert internet" opinions in a forum, sometimes it is best to do your own homework.

p.s. Although I am definitely considering AMU, I am leaning more toward U of I Online and the local univ where I am. Still haven't finalized my decision. I just might start with AMU, then transfer credits so it is cheaper. And yes, I've already checked with the local univ admissions office, and they said that they will accept AMU credits. Mind you, the local univ is rated by US News as a "Top School" and is Tier 1, top 25 out of 557 in the region for Master's. So it is not a blow-off school.

p.p.s Although some "brick and mortar" schools offer online education, what folks here haven't mentioned is the cost. Trust me, it is outrageous! I've checked out U of Maryland and St Mary's U (in TX) because of their programs, but UofM is costly because I am out of state and St M's is costly because I am no longer military (so no discount) and it is a private school. Something to think about.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 65,671 times
Good idea. I might just reconsider AMU/APU and see if my undergrad degree school (Ole Miss) will let me transfer AMU credits over to them. I am currently looking at a university program that requires a MAT instead of the GMAT or GRE. I wonder if I take some credits through AMU and then transfer over to a traditional school, after the max transfer credit hrs allowed, if they will make me take one of those exams?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
I do believe that APU/AMU offer identical degree programs. If you are concerned about the regional accreditation issue with AMU being under APUS and thus mistaken as not having RA, you could enroll with APU.

Just a thought. I know the programs I looked at for grad school were offered by both AMU and APU. I am pretty sure the call numbers are almost identical and I would not be surprised if they were the same course, open to both AMU and APU students.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 26,489 times
Default AMU - least its not UoP or TUI

Wow...same boat as most, saw the site and had to post. I actually found this doing research on a Marketing Project I'm working on for a class I'm taking with AMU. I am Active Duty USAF and in this bunghole of a town I live in, there was only 2 b&m schools that offered Master's degrees and neither offered the type I wanted. Hence, it forced me to look at on-line to finish it up (5 classes to go for MBA in Global Business Mgmt). Moving every four years and deployments make taking programs at B&M schools risky due to credit transfers later on. Anyway, for those who didn't do their homework first regarding checking on accredidation, I have no pity for you....one thing every place I've been to says to check for regional accredidation, amount of transfer credits accepted, fees, etc. Your own fault if you didn't...as far as the experience with AMU...it's tough. No kidding, I put in about 10-16 hours a week after work at night working on school and it usually means working right through the weekend. The reputation is better than UoP and other online degree mills, that's for sure. Especially when you say your retired military and hold a BS from xx and a Masters from AMU, they relate it to the military and it actually helps (what I've heard from many a contractor I work with...hope its true in 7 years!!). Good luck to you all!! Take care,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities