Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:23 PM

926 posts, read 982,436 times

Advertisements

hello, I am researching the possiblity of any decent U.S. university anywhere, which charges same rate for in-state and out-of-state residents (excluding very expensive private universities). Would it possible at all to find? Does it even exist? Any web-site that can give a lead on this?
As you know must public and even some private universities charge somewhere between 2-4 times the in-state tuition. Thanks.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,223,435 times
No. In-state tuition is where tuition is subsidized by the state government at some level of funding. Out-of-state tuition is unsubsidized. Since most states have continued to decrease funding to universities, out-of-state students are often charged more than cost of attendance so out-of-state students can assist with subsidizing more in-state students. It's a vicious cycle.

I recommend finding the best in state university for your degree program. You can always get an internship in an area of the country where you want to live and hopefully move there once you graduate.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,127,196 times
Truman State, Kirksville, Missouri, not exactly the same rate, but probably one of the most affordable state schools for out of state students.

Don't discount "expensive" private schools so quickly, they tend to have a lot more scholarship money to give and often are less expensive than state schools in the end.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:58 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,340,934 times
Depending on where you live, sometimes just-across-the-border schools charge in state rates for out of state residents living on their border.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,631,109 times
Full state-state reciprocity is rare. There was talk this past budget cycle that WI might back out of the agreement it has with MN.

But it's true that some institutions may have softer rules for residents of counties in bordering states. Here's the one for Portland State (w/ WA) as an example:

https://www.pdx.edu/registration/sit...der_Policy.pdf

But note that while tuition is the same, they cap enrollment to half-time.

If you live in the west, there's also a program called WUE that a range of states/institutions participate in that allows one to pay 150% of tuition, though the rules are fairly complex, and it's not exactly what the OP asked about.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,954,203 times
Michigan has reciprocity with Ohio, but I am not sure it applies to all schools.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Depending on where you live, sometimes just-across-the-border schools charge in state rates for out of state residents living on their border.
Yes, we are in a bistate area (Kansas City metro, which straddles the MO/KS state line), and many local schools offer reciprocity, but it doesn't extend to the whole state, just students in the immediate vicinity.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:45 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,010,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
hello, I am researching the possiblity of any decent U.S. university anywhere, which charges same rate for in-state and out-of-state residents (excluding very expensive private universities). Would it possible at all to find? Does it even exist? Any web-site that can give a lead on this?
As you know must public and even some private universities charge somewhere between 2-4 times the in-state tuition. Thanks.,
Not all private schools are that expensive. Try there first. Also, look at community colleges. They do have more expensive out of state tuition, but it's still cheaper than most privates and 4-year schools.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:29 AM

15,880 posts, read 21,488,248 times
Private schools are generally more generous with scholarship funding. When applying to college, I didn't bother with many state schools because they would almost certainly be more expensive than a top private school - even in-state ended up being far more expensive than what most of the private schools I got into offered me. Don't focus entirely on sticker costs.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM

926 posts, read 982,436 times
thanks all, when i was studying my B.S., i applied private school in seattle which called Seattle University. Yes they have me generous fin.aid package but after all tuition and paid yearly living cost covered was about 3000$ which is not possible in metro area like seattle. as a consequence, I moved to eastern washington to reduce my COL and enrolled in WSU. Had I qualified for scholarship, then it could have been different (at least according to what you guys have described here). I did not have time and resource to research scholarship, only for fin.aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities