Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 04:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times

Advertisements

Memorizing code is a waste of time. Better to understand how to code and how code works. I might get a section of code and alter that to do what I want or use it as a function in which case I just need to know what input is needed and what output is received.

Sounds like that professor doesn't understand the nature of coding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 05:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,012 times
Hello,

You ask a very good question. But, according to me, There is no need to cram the program codes. You just have to understand the flow of the program and the syntax of the programming language. A good practice helps you in memorizing the code.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:34 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
always thought coding was called programming language because it is works in the same way. it can be fluid once you learn basic "blocks". yes, my code is sloppy, i dont do it professionally, as long as it "works" i am happy enough. i just need to know how to do some loops and not to forget a ) or ;.

was like learning french, i could have flash cards of words but wont know how to piece them together until i knew it well enough. at that point, even if i messed up a few conjugations, the sentence could be understood even if i got odd looks. not a good way to get a passing grade, got me through france though.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,012 times
Hello
There is no need to memorize the coding. You just have to understand the concept and flow of the program and syntax of the programming language. If you learn them, then you don't have any need to memorize the coding.
Thanks

Old 11-30-2016, 02:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
I taught C and C++ at a college level. If you are having to memorize code, then that means you do not understand the algorithms you are using. Generally, I expected a student to be able to understand and remember an algorithm, and then translate that algorithm into code on the fly. I didn't really expect a student to get all of the syntax correct on a written exam, that's what compilers are for. But I did expect the student to remember an algorithm. For example, how to perform a bubble sort using linked lists, or something like that. You can code that many ways, but the algorithm will be the same.

Advanced Java will have even more complicated algorithms, like using various design patterns to implement objects and their relationships, and the way they communicate. But you memorize the design pattern, not the code. And the easiest way to memorize it is to write a program that uses it.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 PM

307 posts, read 363,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I taught C and C++ at a college level. If you are having to memorize code, then that means you do not understand the algorithms you are using. Generally, I expected a student to be able to understand and remember an algorithm, and then translate that algorithm into code on the fly. I didn't really expect a student to get all of the syntax correct on a written exam, that's what compilers are for. But I did expect the student to remember an algorithm. For example, how to perform a bubble sort using linked lists, or something like that. You can code that many ways, but the algorithm will be the same.

Advanced Java will have even more complicated algorithms, like using various design patterns to implement objects and their relationships, and the way they communicate. But you memorize the design pattern, not the code. And the easiest way to memorize it is to write a program that uses it.
...that would have been so if it were the previous Java professor however my current professors method of instruction does not follow the convention for the previous instructors. She does not teach us concepts like pseudo-code. She also does not provide her code for study. Even if she does she does not comment them at all.

The only way you learn the code/algorithms you mention is by listening to her talk in class. The kicker is, the time you spend listening to her is the only time you have to copy the code for study!!! it's a total cluster f%#$#k!!!

So pretty much then they only way to recreate the information during a test is to memorize the code.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:24 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
The only way you learn the code/algorithms you mention is by listening to her talk in class. The kicker is, the time you spend listening to her is the only time you have to copy the code for study!!! it's a total cluster f%#$#k!!!
Buy a portable mp3 recorder and record the lecture.

Quote:
...that would have been so if it were the previous Java professor however my current professors method of instruction does not follow the convention for the previous instructors. She does not teach us concepts like pseudo-code. She also does not provide her code for study. Even if she does she does not comment them at all.
In today's learning environment the professor is irrelevant. There are tons of online resources where you can learn to become an expert coder for free. Going to class is only necessary for socializing.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:

So pretty much then they only way to recreate the information during a test is to memorize the code.

I don't understand. Is she asking you to feed back her code verbatim or is she asking to solve a problem using your code? What college/program are you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities