Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

It matters a lot, especially when you're pursuing a career that needs more focus on an area than other schools. For example, most people go to medical schools if they want a career in medicine. I have no doubt that a degree from a medical college will be considered more credible than one from a state college.

That's why designers go to art colleges. Graphic design, web design, fashion design, etc, are at a lot of state colleges and universities, but art colleges can provide a better education in these fields. Most of the time, in art colleges, your teachers actually do what you're studying for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 04:16 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I think it matters only when trying to secure that first job after undergrad or trying to get into a graduate program. After this, what matters is what you know, your personality, your work ethic, and how effective you are at meeting expectations.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
I cannot speak for law school, but unfortunately, this is a false pretense regarding medical school. An elite school will only get you so far in the medical school admissions process. If you have a 2.9 GPA and a 24 MCAT from Harvard, guess what? YOU ARE more than likely NOT GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!

Your academic performance as an undergraduate is by far (and rightfully so) more significant than your undergraduate institution. The name is only going to help you if you are "neck n neck" with another applicant with the same stats, extracurriculars, letters of recs, etc.
Although someone later disagreed with caliprincess, I agree. I believe cali is a dr, that should give her some standing in a discussion about med school. I am a nurse whose daughter wants to go to med school. Her college, the University of Colorado, has a pre-med club that advises students about med school, and that seems to be what they are saying. I think it's important to keep in mind that there is no one "best" college for anyone. Sometimes the "best" school is the one you can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It matters a lot, especially when you're pursuing a career that needs more focus on an area than other schools. For example, most people go to medical schools if they want a career in medicine. I have no doubt that a degree from a medical college will be considered more credible than one from a state college. That's why designers go to art colleges. Graphic design, web design, fashion design, etc, are at a lot of state colleges and universities, but art colleges can provide a better education in these fields. Most of the time, in art colleges, your teachers actually do what you're studying for a living.
Haaziq, you really need to talk to your advisors about that statement. See the above post and my response. There are no undergrad medical colleges. There are colleges that have med schools, and perhaps they are more likely to consider students who went there for their undergrad, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If you are considering med school, and your high school advisors aren't being helpful, go talk to someone at a local college. There is also no "pre-med" major. There wasn't when I was in college 40 years ago, and there isn't now. There are certain pre-reqs that you need, and it's hard to get those with a say, history major, but it can be done! I have known docs who went to college for an additional semester to get all their med school pre-reqs in. One I know has an undergrad in aeornautical engineering.

Quote:
* What you study. An RN is highly desirable everywhere. Ditto for accountants. Architects are a dime a dozen and those from top schools tend to fare better in the job market.
You do not get an RN from college. You get either an AAS in nursing (two yr degree) or a BSN (4 yr). You get the RN from passing a test. Not all pass. Either degree plus the RN will get you a job, but the BSN has a lot more opportunities for both jobs and advancement. In a specific area, people, e.g. directors of nursing that do the hiring, know which programs are better than others, and may make hiring decisions with that in mind. If you have a degree from outside the local area, it doesn't matter that much.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
For the Ivy League, yes it does give you a leg up but remember that even idiots can get an Ivy League degree (look at our President!) if their daddies hand over a big enough check to buy them admission.
For other universities, it largely depends in geography. A degree from a school like Northwestern University is a great thing if you are looking for a job in the upper midwest. It is highly recognized there. But if you are down here in Georgia, different story. A UGA grad will probably get hired before you will.
Northwestern is one of the best schools in the country, that's common knowledge.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default Does it matter what college?

Sometimes. It depends more upon what you want to study, and perhaps choose as a career. It also may depend upon how much schooling you see yourself doing, or needing, in order to accomplish your career goals.

If you are considering going on as far as a PhD, or just a Master's, you could do your undergraduate work at perhaps a less prestigious (but still good) school, and spend the BIG $$$ on the advanced degree(s).

NO education is wasted, or not good enough. In some circles, however, which college you attended, or from which one you ultimately earned a degree may become important, or critical. Remember, the diploma can be from a prestigious school, while some of the undergraduate work ie. the first two years, can just as easily be from a smaller, or lesser-known school.

There should be no shame in having to attend a smaller, less expensive school, but there are any number of ways of getting yourself accepted to, and paying for, a major, and often more expensive, college or university.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I believe that your school matters when you first graduate, as well in certain sectors such as finance.

However, five years afterwards, it matters far less where you graduated than what you know.

For example, I have three different clients who graduated Harvard. Yet they listen to my suggestions and act on them. And here I received my degree in English from an obscure Methodist liberal arts college.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
It can. Obviously if someone goes to an Ivy League School & drops out or becomes a drug addict their education isn't going to do much. But overall a graduate with say a Harvard degree compared to someone starting out with a state school degree is probably going to have a leg up when it comes to entry level job opportunities.
Not to mention a job as an entry level senator or governor.

Who says you have to drop out of the Ivy League to become a drug addict?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Remember, too, that it isn't just the university itself but the college within the university that you get your degree.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Northwestern is one of the best schools in the country, that's common knowledge.
I would go further and say that, if you consider the cost vs the product and reputation, Northwestern IS in fact the best college in the country! I just don't think you will find that kind of quality and reputation anywhere else without spending alot more money.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would go further and say that, if you consider the cost vs the product and reputation, Northwestern IS in fact the best college in the country! I just don't think you will find that kind of quality and reputation anywhere else without spending alot more money.
Hey that's awesome !.. I went to Northwestern. Unfortunately, as another person mentioned about the south and UGA... I don't think people in Southern California know of Northwestern as much... I also went to CSUF for my Master's... I'm sure other people in other States haven't heard of it.... but those in Southern California have.... so, the region you go to school also matters.

-chuck22b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities