Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM

30 posts, read 121,126 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I need your help, thoughts, feedback, and etc please...

I just recently went through a life change in my life. This is not about my family issues, it's about my career and going back to school once more. I have worked for a high tech corporation in San Jose, California since 2000. I left the company in 2014 and came to KY in 2016. I didn't work the entire year of 2015.

I have BA and MBA specialized in Business and Marketing. I earned two diplomas before moving to KY. I want to ask everyone who is reading my thread, will it be silly for me to go back to school and earn an BA/BS degree in any Science Courses, (e.g physics, biology, and etc). I recently quit working for a company in Cincinnati, OH because I though this company was ehhh..... I have a new career that needs Science degree and the manager hired me because I know physics for a long time.

I learned a science from general education, taking some classes for my electives, and learning it from reading books.

I am planning to attend either University of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky University, or some community college in Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky Region. It will be impossible for me to earn MA in any of science course because I do not have BA.

Please let me know your thoughts without profanity and insults.

Thank you

MRAGSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
You may get more input in different forum on education or careers in city-data. The regret of generation x-ers not getting a STEM degree is large but not sure going back full time for years to get one would be worth it. Some jobs only ask for " at least 15 hours in hard sciences " which makes more sense than going for the full STEM degree.

What job or career fields do you want and what do they require? There are certainly out of work scientists so just the degree is not magic. You have an MBA and 15 years job experience.

Going back to the earlier option, a certificate in Organic Chemistry with 15 college hours may fit what you are seeking vs. A BS in chemistry.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:14 AM

266 posts, read 271,763 times
If you are interested in the Medical field it is always a safe bet for jobs; also the flexibility to move anywhere. Good luck on your decision, never a bad idea to continue your education.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mragsa View Post
Hey guys,

I need your help, thoughts, feedback, and etc please...

I just recently went through a life change in my life. This is not about my family issues, it's about my career and going back to school once more. I have worked for a high tech corporation in San Jose, California since 2000. I left the company in 2014 and came to KY in 2016. I didn't work the entire year of 2015.

I have BA and MBA specialized in Business and Marketing. I earned two diplomas before moving to KY. I want to ask everyone who is reading my thread, will it be silly for me to go back to school and earn an BA/BS degree in any Science Courses, (e.g physics, biology, and etc). I recently quit working for a company in Cincinnati, OH because I though this company was ehhh..... I have a new career that needs Science degree and the manager hired me because I know physics for a long time.

I learned a science from general education, taking some classes for my electives, and learning it from reading books.

I am planning to attend either University of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky University, or some community college in Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky Region. It will be impossible for me to earn MA in any of science course because I do not have BA.

Please let me know your thoughts without profanity and insults.

Thank you

MRAGSA
Uh....why would you expect profanity and insults?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 PM

johnsonkk:

I am sorry for my late reply. I was sick for a week and I finally recovered from it. I was planning to go back to become a science major, specifically Physics. I am in search for new position because I am tired of introduce stuff to people and convince them to buy it.

I also have MBA but I need a change in my life.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 PM

426HemiCA:

I am not interested in Medical field because it was my first major when I started college. I throw up when I had to see a dead body and I had to open the body.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 AM

244 posts, read 414,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mragsa View Post
johnsonkk:

I am sorry for my late reply. I was sick for a week and I finally recovered from it. I was planning to go back to become a science major, specifically Physics. I am in search for new position because I am tired of introduce stuff to people and convince them to buy it.

I also have MBA but I need a change in my life.
There are a lot of opportunities with your background without a need to further your education.

Have you considered going to work for a science foundation working in their operations? It would give you exposure to a new field but you wouldn't have to spend money and time returning to school.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM

162 posts, read 62,352 times
So you currently have a job that you got because of the general education science classes you took, but the boss would prefer you get an actual science degree? If that's the case, then sure, grab a B.S. in Physics.

But if you're considering the field of physics in general, most physicists are researchers with advanced degrees and a niche specialization they build up over many years. That way of life is very different than the business world and could be a bit of a shock. Never too late though.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
What do you want to do in life? Saying you want any science degree is not a direction. Esp for physics. A physics degree will absolutely kick your butt if you don't love the lifestyle of living, breathing, eating, and dreaming physics. You should decide what you most want to do, and then see if a degree is the way to get there.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:27 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Is your employer going to pay for the degree? When you were hired, did they tell you that they expect you to earn a science degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities