Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

If you can afford to pay cash for all the expenses of getting a degree in a non-remunerative field, and then you can still afford to pay for the expenses that getting an employable degree will require, go for it. Otherwise, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 PM

19 posts, read 25,714 times
My passion is environmental science but I'm strongly considering doing computer science. "Following my passion" is ironically probably going to end up being anything but that, I'm afraid its going to leave me working in sales or customer service... which is what I'm doing now. And I would definitely be miserable if I got stuck working this type of job for the rest of my life. I don't really believe that if I get a degree in environmental science thats what I'll actually end up doing. I've watched too many of my friends work hard to get their degree only to graduate and realize it didn't leave them any better off than before. I don't want to waste my time or possibly get into debt for a degree that won't be valuable in the job market (beyond business, sales, or customer service). So I keep coming back to computer science. I think it would be a happy medium for me. I'm not super interested in computers or anything but I do enjoy some aspects of it such as programming and web design.

As far as financial aid goes, I was lucky enough not to have to take out any money my first two years of school. I've been out of college for almost two years now and this time around, due to personal circumstances, I have to do use financial aid. When I go back in fall I have a pell grant to get me through my first year. I already have my basic core curriculum completed. I may have to eventually take out loans but I don't think it will be that bad since I'm already halfway through with no debt. I think it will be worth it to go back and finish my degree, especially if I do CS.

But again, I guess I just find it kind of depressing that I wouldn't be going back for something I love. I just don't think I can justify taking a risk like that when there's no much at stake (if I end up taking out loans, which I probably eventually will have to).

Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbritty View Post
Basically it comes down to this: do I pursue what I love or what's going to get me a decent job?
Bottom line:

Can you afford to live the life you want, on what you love? I mean fully independent with your own apartment and car.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM

112 posts, read 133,188 times
Practical.

There are numerous practical degrees and related jobs though, so the decision can be based on some level of what you enjoy though.

I picked forestry as it had some things that appealed to me (field work, dealing with data). I wouldn't say I went into it as a passion, you do get more passionate about things though the more involved you are with them though too. I am definitely passionate about the way it pays my bills, save for retirement, and lets me do other things I love. I don't think anyone should go to school for a poor paying job/ no job.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
I followed my passion and got a degree in Child Development. Preschool teachers don't make much money, high turnover, and little benefits, but boy did I love the job.

If I could go back I would have listened to my MAIL and gotten my Elementary education degree and teaching credential, even though I didn't want to teach that age group I would have made more money, had better benefits, and better job security.

If I could afford to go to school now I'd take classes to become an accountant, it's a little late in the game for me with two children to help put through college.

In your case, try to pick a major that pays well when you graduate, that you can find some joy in.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Flip side of this...I did theatre in college (never had the goal of making it a profession, myself). One of my classmates who did found employment as an actor for about a decade, and in his offseasons, parlayed his interests into working for state political campaigns as a communications director. It appealed to his sense of showmanship, his love of addressing large audiences, the rush he gets from being onstage, etc. Now, years later, he is the executive director of a large environmental lobby in the capital. The same skills and traits he employed onstage for entertainment, he employs on the political stage, does quite well for himself financially, and loves every minute.
See? Homeless, or stuck for all eternity in D.C. surrounded by politicians.

Which is worse?

Old 04-20-2017, 02:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm sorry. I thought we were discussing people putting their skills and interests to use in rewarding careers that they enjoy?

I missed where it shifted to putting skills and interests to use in careers you would enjoy.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbritty View Post
My passion is environmental science but I'm strongly considering doing computer science. "Following my passion" is ironically probably going to end up being anything but that, I'm afraid its going to leave me working in sales or customer service... which is what I'm doing now. And I would definitely be miserable if I got stuck working this type of job for the rest of my life. I don't really believe that if I get a degree in environmental science thats what I'll actually end up doing. I've watched too many of my friends work hard to get their degree only to graduate and realize it didn't leave them any better off than before. I don't want to waste my time or possibly get into debt for a degree that won't be valuable in the job market (beyond business, sales, or customer service). So I keep coming back to computer science. I think it would be a happy medium for me. I'm not super interested in computers or anything but I do enjoy some aspects of it such as programming and web design.

As far as financial aid goes, I was lucky enough not to have to take out any money my first two years of school. I've been out of college for almost two years now and this time around, due to personal circumstances, I have to do use financial aid. When I go back in fall I have a pell grant to get me through my first year. I already have my basic core curriculum completed. I may have to eventually take out loans but I don't think it will be that bad since I'm already halfway through with no debt. I think it will be worth it to go back and finish my degree, especially if I do CS.

But again, I guess I just find it kind of depressing that I wouldn't be going back for something I love. I just don't think I can justify taking a risk like that when there's no much at stake (if I end up taking out loans, which I probably eventually will have to).
My major is Civil and Environmental Engineering and I do environmental work/engineering, though I've seriously considered getting out of it ... somehow. But don't let that scare you away. 80% of loving a job is fit. Some people in my field love their job. There's also lots of different types of paths you can take.

Anyway, environmental science/geology/civil engineering is a very practical and employable major. So, if you're scared about being homeless, I'd stop that right now. You'll be able to find a job with that major.

The LAST thing I would do is major in computer science if your passion is being outdoors. I shouldn't even have to explain why.

College is not that expensive these days. Just go to the cheap state school and take classes part time. It's not a race. My best advice to you is to start researching and interning at jobs that might fit you.

You want a job that has meaning for you. What are you contributing to this world? You want a job that you can go home and talk about with your wife/friends stories about what you did that day. You also need to work with people you don't hate, but that's holds less relevance for you right now.

Remember that.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I believe most people can do both. A lot of people fail in their fields for multiple reasons: not willing to move, not knowing where to search for jobs, not doing what it takes to get a license or certification, not willing to get a necessary graduate degree, etc.

People think about the practicality of majors, but fail to think about the practicality of their school choices. Better yet, people fail to be pragmatic in their school choices. Do you really need to spend $30k per year to go to a small, liberal arts college and live on campus?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I have a good friend who is in environmental engineering (I think), he is a toxicologist for the EPA. Pretty sure at least one of his degrees is Environmental engineering, not sure if they all are. He is paid well and it is an exciting job. Whenever there is a spill or other incident in our region, they sent him out to make sure things are handled safely and completely. He is considered a first responded, which allowed him to join a motorcycle club for LEOs and first responders (he is their token nerd). Other than having to fly to Washington recently to plead for his job (well actually to try to demonstrate why it is important to keep the regional first response teams online), it seems like an awesome job. he loves his job and talks about it all the time because it is quite exciting to him. I know only a few people who actually love their jobs.

BTW he has a PhD in whatever. He also gets to teach classes on occasion at the local university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities