Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

I worked full time through college and graduate school, fortunately at a job that had flexible hours, so mostly evenings and weekends. At my current employer we have tuition assistance for any studies that are related to the job, or other kinds of work available here, so many people are going to school while working full time. We can make some accommodations to help such as different start/end times or working 4 10s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
Thank you for your feedback, but I insist, what about your responsibilities as students? I guess you were not there listening to 5 hours and returning home. You should have/had homework, projects, problems to solve (STEM degrees), exams. This is what worries me. Fortunately, I also will have flexible hours since will be a part-time job (5 hours/day). My guess... godbye free time and social life.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Thank you for your feedback, but I insist, what about your responsibilities as students? I guess you were not there listening to 5 hours and returning home. You should have/had homework, projects, problems to solve (STEM degrees), exams. This is what worries me. Fortunately, I also will have flexible hours since will be a part-time job (5 hours/day). My guess... goodbye free time and social life.
This. It's a matter of priorities. Unless you have rich parents paying for everything, or want to go into a lot of student loan debt, you have to make some sacrifices to improve your future. I did manage to meet my future wife as a senior in college, but there was a lot more phone conversations than actual time together until after finishing school.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:39 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I worked full time at one job and part-time at a second job when I was studying part-time for my Master's degree. Basically my weekends were completely devoted to studying during that time period.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Thank you for your feedback, but I insist, what about your responsibilities as students? I guess you were not there listening to 5 hours and returning home. You should have/had homework, projects, problems to solve (STEM degrees), exams. This is what worries me. Fortunately, I also will have flexible hours since will be a part-time job (5 hours/day). My guess... godbye free time and social life.
I had all of that, homework, quizzes, tests, group projects, solo projects, and of course I had to do research for my master's thesis, separate from all that, which I tied into my full-time job to try and kill two birds with one stone, which worked quite well.

How good of a student are you? What is your time management like? Do you need to study a lot? Do you have a photographic memory and can look/read something once and know it? College is memorization and regurgitation, plain and simple. I know it's nice to hear about other people's experiences, but you will of course get the full spectrum of answers. From is was easy to it was hard to everything in between.

You are the only one that knows how it will go. I guess if you are struggling, you can always leave the program? Life is all about taking risks, chances and challenging yourself. Try not to psych yourself out by worrying you won't have free time and a social life outside of work and school.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times
I was a good student but how I was a good student? Studying a lot of time. This time I really need to work, the Master's Degree is 1 to 2 years and I know I may fail some courses but this is common here, especially in engineering programs. We have up to 4 attempts, sometimes you are not prepared for the final exam, you can skip and go to the next scheduled exam for the same course. The worst part is in the first year when we have all courses; second year is just the dissertation, or final thesis, in case you passed all the courses, if not, you have the final thesis and the remaining courses that you failed or skipped the exams. In any case, I don't care about details, if I am able to find a stable career, even if I fail every course, will worth it.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:03 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Just consider it training for later in life when you are solidly working a career and juggling family life.
But yeah, it's a sacrifice to make for sure.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-15-2017 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: removed spaces for easier reading on mobile devices.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:14 PM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
Yes, full time work while completing all 5 college degrees. Didn't get my first Bachelor degree until I was in my 30's. Took me 4 years to complete my MBA.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My wife just got her masters in Library Science while working full time (at a library). It took her about four years. She did all of her classes online (Kent State). It took up about 1/2 to 3/4 of her free time. She would rush home from work and spend a couple of hours ont he computer (video classes) each night and sometimes a few hours on Saturday. She generally had 10-20 hours of homework a week, and sometimes had to take her vacation time to study for finals or work on papers. It was not easy, but it was doable. She had to multitask a lot. We have 5 kids, but they are mostly grown. Still there was a lot to do during classes.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
I'm becoming older, guys, and is time to take responsibilities. This will be the first time I need to study and work at the same time. I had older classmates, good friends, who worked and studied and their lifes were not enjoyable/funny at all. Hopefully I will do that with a Master's Degree, my best friend did that while studying the Bachelor's. Besides I need to work, I also need money to pay the Master's Degree bills. Anyway, study + work, how good are you doing it? or did it in the past?
Yes. Worked full-time in professional job while earning a terminal professional degree in another discipline. Can be done - especially considering the crazy amount of time spent on thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, President's week. Finals study week, summer break. My classmates exited with loans equivalent to a mortgage and I was debt free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities