Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:56 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

How would an out-of-state law school be cheaper than your own in-state law school? The UW law school is very good. If money is a consideration (which it doesn't appear to be, with all these degrees you're racking up, or considering racking up, and I recall from your past threads you said money isn't a consideration, and you simply enjoy furthering your education), you can apply to Seattle University, which also has a good law program, and they offer financial aid.

What's your career goal? Gathering excess degrees, especially advanced degrees, can actually hinder you, depending on what type of job you really want. I've seen people with advanced degrees, including a guy with 2 PhD's, get fired, after it was discovered that he didn't disclose all his degrees, when applying for a lower-level job. Some people will not hire you, if you're over-qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 12:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My wife got a masters online through Kent State, it seems to be well received.
A master is not a PhD.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
A master is not a PhD.

It isn't? Wow, how did you find that out? Is there a website or something where you can learn this?

BTW above:

A JD is useful for many career paths other than practicing law. Politics is the most obvious one. Business should be another obvious path. 50% of my graduating class are not practicing law, but are using their JD in their current career path. Most of those are CEOs. I know one is a general, one is some kind of officer in the CIA, several are politicians. One is a - Whatever Anne Coulter is.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It isn't? Wow, how did you find that out? Is there a website or something where you can learn this?

The unfunny snark aside. If it's that obvious to you, then why did you compare a Master to a PhD????

Old 12-02-2017, 04:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
OP ... I'm not hearing anything in your decision about what you're passionate about doing in life.

Getting degrees for the sake of getting degrees doesn't necessarily equate to a happy career path.

I've seen way too many folk get degrees for the sake of creds to get hired at jobs they hate ... and can't wait until retirement vesting and age presents. A lot of them have reached that pinnacle of their lives only to be miserable and unhappy, unsatisfied in what they've accomplished ... and many are medical cases now or have passed on shortly after that retirement date.

May I suggest you look at other's decision making process about careers/jobs ... such as "Bluefishing" by Steve Sims. Obviously, he's got an entirely different background leading to his success ... but the core message he delivers is applicable to many folk. As well, there's shades of folk like Zig Ziglar in his thinking; ie, "you get what you want by getting other people what they want".

So what drives you?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OP ... I'm not hearing anything in your decision about what you're passionate about doing in life.

Getting degrees for the sake of getting degrees doesn't necessarily equate to a happy career path.

So what drives you?
Well put - unless the OP is being a "professional student" and collector of degrees.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Once again, we have people who know absolutely nothing about online education. This might be the worst forum to go to for anything related to online schooling. Most of the posters here couldn't be more clueless.

There are actually a lot of online and low-residency PhD programs offered at legitimate schools. A WHOLE LOT. To say that there are only a few is completely false.

Would one be able to obtain a tenure-track position with an online PhD? Why not? A PhD from Texas A&M is a PhD from Texas A&M.

Neither your transcript nor degree will say "online." The problem would be not having any teaching experience unless you work as a lecturer or adjunct before applying to tenure-track positions.. Many on-campus PhD students work as teaching assistants, so they have the teaching experience by graduation.

Plant Breeding Distance Education | scsdistance.tamu.edu

Doctorate - Distance Learning - University of Florida

https://online.odu.edu/programs/english-phd

https://www.online.colostate.edu/degrees/online-phd.dot

Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) Online Program | College of Nursing

PhD in Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics - Bama By Distance

I could spend hours posting programs, but I won't.

If you earn a PhD from a non-traditional school, then landing a tenure-track position will be more difficult. You can earn a PhD at the University of Phoenix without taking online courses, but it's still the University of Phoenix. The problem is really the reputation of the school and not the mode of delivery.

Last edited by L210; 12-03-2017 at 01:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 01:30 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
To be honest, they both sound like bad ideas. First of all, don't bother with a JD unless you can get into a top law school. U of Montana is ranked outside of 100 (!!). Don't even waste your time.

Second, an online PhD program??!! I have heard there are a few PhDs you can get online, but most are just scams. And no respectable institution is going to hire someone who got his/her PhD online.

It just sounds to me you are going for the easiest way to get a fancy degree. If you are really focused on your career then do it right - get into a top law school or go to an accredited PhD program. Also, many PhDs end up taking way more time than you think.

Why do you say "accredited" as if online programs automatically aren't? There are, literally, thousands of online, doctoral program offered by accredited schools. When did the OP say that he or she wanted to attend an unaccredited school?

Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
What is the reason why you want to pursue either one? Is a PhD actually going to help you in your career in a specific, tangible way that you can name right now? If not, do not do it. It's a lot of time and money that can leave you looking more foolish than qualified, especially if it is in a subject in which you have little to no practical experience. For example, no one will hire you to lead an organization just because you have a PhD in organizational leadership - they want you to actually have led an organization. I believe that PhD is primarily designed for people already leading organizations. If that's not you, it's probably not a good idea.

I'm not sure how the market is for lawyers right now. If it's good in your area and you've checked that out thoroughly, then that sounds better as far as a career. You need to do a lot of research, though.
I'm not even sure if there's a concentration called organization leadership.

But many concentrations in business PhD programs sound like organization leadership, for instance, strategy, management, international business, etc. Most of them end up teaching in other universities - staying in academia, not outlining strategy in a company. A few of them go to consulting, though.

Contrary to what many people believe, academics often have little or no industrial experience. Most professors these days have no training/experience outside academia.

The market for law school graduates is abysmal. Top graduates from Yale law can still secure a job, but the same cannot be said for a mid-tier school.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Once again, we have people who know absolutely nothing about online education. This might be the worst forum to go to for anything related to online schooling. Most of the posters here couldn't be more clueless.

There are actually a lot of online and low-residency PhD programs offered at legitimate schools. A WHOLE LOT. To say that there are only a few is completely false.

Would one be able to obtain a tenure-track position with an online PhD? Why not? A PhD from Texas A&M is a PhD from Texas A&M.

Neither your transcript nor degree will say "online." The problem would be not having any teaching experience unless you work as a lecturer or adjunct before applying to tenure-track positions.. Many on-campus PhD students work as teaching assistants, so they have the teaching experience by graduation.

Plant Breeding Distance Education | scsdistance.tamu.edu

Doctorate - Distance Learning - University of Florida

https://online.odu.edu/programs/english-phd

https://www.online.colostate.edu/degrees/online-phd.dot

Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) Online Program | College of Nursing

PhD in Aerospace Engineering & Mechanics - Bama By Distance

I could spend hours posting programs, but I won't.

If you earn a PhD from a non-traditional school, then landing a tenure-track position will be more difficult. You can earn a PhD at the University of Phoenix without taking online courses, but it's still the University of Phoenix. The problem is really the reputation of the school and not the mode of delivery.
Online PhD programs are very very rare.

Normally, a PhD student has to complete some coursework, do TA/RA, do a ton of research working with his/her adviser, publish papers in academic conferences and journals and finally defend the dissertation. Doing coursework online is imaginable, but the the rest is very hard.

The programs you listed look like professional PhD programs, which are very different from traditional PhD programs. The catch is, not every PhD program prepares you well for research career. If you want a PhD in business or computer science, you'll probably have to do it on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities