Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

You'll do fine when you graduate and move on to the real world. Don't worry about all the made up scenarios of how this question was trying to teach you something special. The prof wasn't thinking that complex; it's just a poorly worded question. The real lesson is you have to keep your eye on the goal, which is graduation, and sometimes you just have to tell the teacher what she wants to hear and just know in the back of your mind what the right answer is.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
I would rather have the OP as my nurse rather than her professor or the people in this thread who are attacking her.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Let. It. Go. Already.

Wow. Get to studying for your next exams.

Or keep arguing and posting and fuming and wanting to be RIGHT at ALL COSTS. Because, well, that's all that matters, showing up your professor.

Or post another 50 times today about how you were right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This attitude is going to hurt you, Josephine. I understand your objection to the question; I get it completely. If three of the possible answers on a test are clearly incorrect, it's not a bad strategy to guess the 4th answer even if you don't know what it means. That's what they'd teach you in SAT prep classes, for sure.

The problem here is your overall attitude of arrogance and your inflexibility. You were wronged with that question - I think most of us will agree.

But then when you say that thing about so many stupid nurses, you're headed for constant struggles in your career.
Ok, Josephine, I've been following this thread since you started it, but haven't responded until now. As in the quote I bolted above, you definitely want to be right at all costs. And I get that, because I used to be exactly that way (I still am that way deep inside, but I've learned to control it when needed). Dr Phil used to say "Would you rather be right or be happy?" (in the context of marriage and other relationships, but it can kinda apply here too.) My point is, you can be RIGHT, and know you're right in your heart of hearts, but you're going to make yourself miserable dwelling and stewing and rethinking this thing to death! You will burn bridges with people who might affect your future. You will label yourself as stubborn and arrogant and difficult to work with. All because you had to not only BE RIGHT, but convince everyone else that you ARE RIGHT and smarter than everyone else to boot! Try to let this go now, be content knowing in your own heart that YOU knew the material, but for whatever reason the professor is not going to back down. Yes, she is being stubborn too, but don't let her continue to bring out this negativity in you. Let it go.

And definitely rethink your attitude about "stupid nurses." That is just ugly, plain and simple. If I were in charge of awarding scholarships, I would revoke yours in a heartbeat for that statement alone.

Lastly, think about this:
A basketball game was never lost because one player missed the final shot at the buzzer. Oh it may SEEM like it's his fault, but there were MANY other misses and errors throughout the game. If you lose your scholarship, it will not be because of this one question. There have been wrong answers and missed points all along the way, but you are choosing to focus on this one badly worded question.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I had a similar situation. As part of an exam, the instructor had us classify several organisms that were displayed on a table. One of the organisms was a tick, which I correctly classified as an arachnid. When I got my exam back, I noticed the tick was marked as incorrect. I confronted the instructor and explained that a tick is indeed an arachnid. He replied "Well, in my class a tick is an insect!" He refused to correct my exam grade.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM

In any case, regardless of your opinion of the OP, does everybody agree that a scholarship that requires a perfect 4.0 is counterproductive? It will force the student to take the easiest classes possible, and to drop any class that he/she is getting even a B in. It will also force the student to argue every single point with the professor, knowing that there is no room for error. I know professors hate it when students argue over grades. But do you not realize that by requiring a perfect 4.0 for a scholarship, it forces students to argue over every single grade.

My advice to the OP: don't let the other posters here get to you. Since you still have the final exam and it seems you can still get an A and keep your scholarship, do whatever it takes to get that A. Keeping your scholarship will be the best vindication you can get against that professor. If you don't get a high enough grade, then try to appeal the scholarship, pointing out that another question was dropped from the exam, because the teacher's pet complained about it. Force them to explain why different rules applied to different questions.

Good luck. I really hope this works out for you.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I had a similar situation. As part of an exam, the instructor had us classify several organisms that were displayed on a table. One of the organisms was a tick, which I correctly classified as an arachnid. When I got my exam back, I noticed the tick was marked as incorrect. I confronted the instructor and explained that a tick is indeed an arachnid. He replied "Well, in my class a tick is an insect!" He refused to correct my exam grade.
Just for clarification. You were in a class that asked you to identify specimens to class, instead of phylum or order, and a teacher wanted insecta instead of arachnida for a tick?

Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In any case, regardless of your opinion of the OP, does everybody agree that a scholarship that requires a perfect 4.0 is counterproductive? It will force the student to take the easiest classes possible, and to drop any class that he/she is getting even a B in. It will also force the student to argue every single point with the professor, knowing that there is no room for error. I know professors hate it when students argue over grades. But do you not realize that by requiring a perfect 4.0 for a scholarship, it forces students to argue over every single grade.

My advice to the OP: don't let the other posters here get to you. Since you still have the final exam and it seems you can still get an A and keep your scholarship, do whatever it takes to get that A. Keeping your scholarship will be the best vindication you can get against that professor. If you don't get a high enough grade, then try to appeal the scholarship, pointing out that another question was dropped from the exam, because the teacher's pet complained about it. Force them to explain why different rules applied to different questions.

Good luck. I really hope this works out for you.
This wasn't a scholarship. This was an offer, by the college, to give money to any student who achieved a 4.0. I know not everyone has the time to read through this entire thread to get the specifics. ;D

Nursing students don't have choices in what classes they take - they are on a specific curriculum with their graduating class.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
This wasn't a scholarship. This was an offer, by the college, to give money to any student who achieved a 4.0. I know not everyone has the time to read through this entire thread to get the specifics. ;D
Actually, I have read every post in this thread. You are just arguing semantics. The OP referred to it as a "scholarship" multiple times, whether you like the term or not.

Quote:
Nursing students don't have choices in what classes they take - they are on a specific curriculum with their graduating class.
At the college that I attended, every major, including nursing, had to take general education electives in addition to the requirements of their major. If you had a scholarship to keep, especially one that required perfection, it forced us to take easy general education electives and with easy professors.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's not just nursing school but a common multiple choice tactic to set up impossible questions and ask the student to pick the "most correct" or "least wrong" when all the choices are wrong. Those types of questions actually favor the less capable students because they don't know enough to know all are wrong and so go with the more common answer.
My son has been dealing with this in his biology class (he's a frosh in college/bio major)....and complaining about it.

"Pick the best answer and explain why it is".

"Pick the least incorrect answer and explain why it is"

This is why the class average on every test is a high F or a low D.

I understand that it's a "weed out" class & so does he, but he still complains about the lack of straight- forwardness on the tests vs. what is being taught in lecture & is very black & white in his very expensive text book that the Prof. is apparently teaching from.

Thankfully the kid has been wavering between barely an A and a B+...exams are next week. We will see his final grade in this section of bio, soon. Hoping he doesn't tank.

Quote:
The most hilarious example was when I took the Praxis exam years ago. Since I was a professional thinking of becoming a teacher, I had years of experience in some of the areas on the exam. There were many questions in my field where I knew the choices were incorrect so I asked myself "what would a school teach as the correct answer?" The technique worked well: 99th percentile. Never became a teacher though since I didn't have an education degree.
Same as you with the Praxis: 99th percentile. I took the Praxis a very long time ago b/c my state had/has an "Alternate Route" program that would allow one to teach - no education degree needed to do so. I went that "route" (included taking many classes at a state college & student teaching). While doing my student teaching I realized that teaching was NOT for me.

Back to the test. IMO? The Praxis is a joke compared to the SAT, ACT or the GRE.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:

Like every other major in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities