Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 04:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
May I ask what your connection to higher education is? Because your arguments and beliefs are those of someone who has little actual experience with contemporary university practices and policies, but who listens to a lot of conservative talk radio. And is the OP not asking for a "safe space" so that they don't have to encounter any ideas they dislike?
The OP is asking for the ultimate "safe space" where he will not have to encounter any ideas they don't like at all.

Those participating in "safe spaces" in universities are certainly forced to deal with ideas they don't like all the time. The safe space is really an attempt for them to find other people who feel as they do, therefore it is "safe" in that context.

But there is no evading ideas you don't like in an university setting regardless of where you are in the political spectrum. Ultimately you're there to get a degree to help you get a job. Some people, including the OP would rather get caught up in nonsensical drama.

I did like the work of some of my professors. Others I thought were complete garbage. I still got nothing lower than B+s and most of the time As in courses where I thought the political agenda of the professor was just plain STUPID.

I wasn't there to gain approval for the professor or my politics, or to like them necessarily. I was there for the credential, and I got the BA, and later on I got the MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:15 AM

2,448 posts, read 895,945 times
Quote:
May I ask what your connection to higher education is? Because your arguments and beliefs are those of someone who has little actual experience with contemporary university practices and policies, but who listens to a lot of conservative talk radio. And is the OP not asking for a "safe space" so that they don't have to encounter any ideas they dislike?
Sure. I'm currently in the last stages of getting a master's degree and was previously a graduate assistant in the last few years. Additionally, I teach at a mid-sized public high school. These games you're attempting to play may work with people who haven't been to college in many years, but I can attest to the insidious effects of "SJW" cultism on: admission of students (I've interviewed a past chancellor who attests to this), hiring of faculty, inflitration of cult dogma into courses, administrative kowtowing to these activists and their dogma (I attended a hilarious SJW meeting right after the 2016 election which I'd love to share), the transformation of public universities as places of learning for young adults into "homes" for children under the watchful eye of diversicrats/administrators, bias response teams, grown adult faculty members who now have signatures on their emails that contain "Preferred Pronoun: ." I've sat in on department meetings, including those with the head diversicrat if the university. No, no, my lady, this time it won't work. I'll be more conversant on the subject than you will be and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is indeed you who has not been on a campus in years or decades. What's your current experience in academia?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The OP is asking for the ultimate "safe space" where he will not have to encounter any ideas they don't like at all.

Those participating in "safe spaces" in universities are certainly forced to deal with ideas they don't like all the time. The safe space is really an attempt for them to find other people who feel as they do, therefore it is "safe" in that context.

But there is no evading ideas you don't like in an university setting regardless of where you are in the political spectrum. Ultimately you're there to get a degree to help you get a job. Some people, including the OP would rather get caught up in nonsensical drama.

I did like the work of some of my professors. Others I thought were complete garbage. I still got nothing lower than B+s and most of the time As in courses where I thought the political agenda of the professor was just plain STUPID.

I wasn't there to gain approval for the professor or my politics, or to like them necessarily. I was there for the credential, and I got the BA, and later on I got the MA.
You really need to put more thought into your replies. In one sentence, you argue that students are in college to be exposed to new ideas. In another, you argue that they're there "to get a degree to help you get a job." Would you like to pick one definitive answer and get back to us?

The only folks on public university campuses these days demanding that they not be exposed to ideas they don't like are SJWs. This is why they push for speech restrictions and penalties for those who deviate from SJW orthodoxy. What do you think about speech codes? I take it you must vociferously object to these codes, given what you've written?

"Political agendas" have no place in the classroom. Period. This is why you should object to any teacher who uses the classroom as a platform to advance an ideology rather than teach.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I'll be more conversant on the subject than you will be and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is indeed you who has not been on a campus in years or decades. What's your current experience in academia?
I'm sitting in my office on the university campus where I've worked for the past 15 years, so, hi!

Quote:
You really need to put more thought into your replies. In one sentence, you argue that students are in college to be exposed to new ideas. In another, you argue that they're there "to get a degree to help you get a job." Would you like to pick one definitive answer and get back to us?
Why can't it be both? The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
"Political agendas" have no place in the classroom. Period. This is why you should object to any teacher who uses the classroom as a platform to advance an ideology rather than teach.
You say that you teach high school, so are you positive that your agenda isn't bleeding into your lessons?

And since this "debate" has become tedious, and you've made it clear that you'll need to have the last word, I'll leave it there.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-24-2018 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm sitting in my office on the university campus where I've worked for the past 15 years, so, hi!

Why can't it be both? The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

You say that you teach high school, so are you positive that your agenda isn't bleeding into your lessons?

And since this "debate" has become tedious, and you've made it clear that you'll need to have the last word, I'll leave it there.
Tedious, indeed. Notice how I present arguments while you folks simply respond with slurs, minus any defense of SJW dogma with evidence? Here's an easy test as to whether your question was made in good faith: would you or did you ask the apologists for SJW dogma what their experience or status in academia happens to be? If not, it was asked in bad faith and an example of the fallacy know as "argument by authority." It doesn't get more tedious than attempting to debate approaches it like that.

In what area/department do you work at your school?

I didn't state that there is one reason for going to college. He did. You'll need to ask him to clear that up.

No one can be absolutely sure of that and I doubt anyone can entirely keep their own biases out of everything they teach. That is miles away from actively inserting your biases into your teaching and trying to advance an ideological, or in this case, a religious/cultist agenda where you expressly avoid presenting opposing views. I daresay many or most of my students believe that my political beliefs are the opposite of what they are on many issues because I'm diligent about presenting many sides and encouraging debate.

Take you, for example. You and some others have imagined that I am a right-winger. In fact, I voted for Bernie in the primary and Stein in the general election. I didn't vote for a single Republican last time or in recent elections. There are a growing number of Democrats and even self-described liberals disavowing SJW identity politics and particularly the campus SJWs and their assault on free speech and free expression.

Can you name the right-wing student groups who have fought to keep liberal/radical speakers off public campuses? Can you name any right-wing student groups who have advocated and then carried out assaults on people with whom they disagree? Can you name any right-wing student groups who have advocated speech codes that would disallow their opponents the right to articulate their views on controversial issues?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Quote:
Tedious, indeed. Notice how I present arguments while you folks simply respond with slurs, minus any defense of SJW dogma with evidence?
No...I don't really see that at all.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No...I don't really see that at all.
Please point to the posts in which apologists for SJW cultism defend the basic tenets of the religion with objective evidence. I've asked multiple times and even given them numerous examples (white privilege, the value of safe spaces to aggrieved groups, the school-to-prison pipeline, the redefinition of racism, 63 genders, the patriarchy) of dogma to defend.

In response, I've gotten:

- Declaration that I must get my evidence from "conservative websites"
- Declaration that I must not be college-educated or involved in academia.
- Strawman argument that I don't want to hear opposing views.

Among others. In other words, nonsense that is immaterial to the debate at hand. There are a minimum of three logical fallacies in the slurs above.

But, again, I'd love to see these evidence=based defenses of the concepts I mentioned above in this thread. Where are they?

Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 AM

10,071 posts, read 7,250,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Agreed. My experience was similar.

What I would add is that I never felt that I could NOT express my political opinion in any of my college classes. It just had to be germane and well-supported.

I never felt that any professor I ever had was so invested in a political agenda that it biased their work. Some let their politics show more than others but they all seemed committed to professional integrity.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Agreed. My experience was similar.

What I would add is that I never felt that I could NOT express my political opinion in any of my college classes. It just had to be germane and well-supported.

I never felt that any professor I ever had was so invested in a political agenda that it biased their work. Some let their politics show more than others but they all seemed committed to professional integrity.
And how many years ago was that?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,487,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Social justice warriors are always railing against cultural appropriation. They're not really warriors, just a bunch of untalented, unremarkable people who have to think that they're making a difference.

This is what happens to kids who are told they're special by virtue of doing nothing, other than talk. Wake up Murica!
For a bunch of nobodies doing nothing, they sure do scare the bejabbers out of people like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities