Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 AM

420 posts, read 469,843 times

Advertisements

I was told by someone that all community colleges are actually free past 12 credits (i.e. you only pay for 12 credits, the rest of the credits you take are free.). Let's say you take 20 credits total, you only pay for 12. Is this true everywhere, even online and out of state (which is sometimes the case). If I were to take a course from an out of state college since they're the only one with the program course I want, I'd end up doing the online thing. So does the over 12 credits free apply in this scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
It is not universally or even generally true, although it is possible that some college somewhere has this tuition schedule.

Colleges post their tuition rates online, it would be easy for you to check the institution you are interested in.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Never heard of such a thing. Ask that someone to name what CC he is speaking about.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Now more than ever, colleges all have their own methods of calculating tuition.

The closest to what I think you are explaining is schools where you pay a 'full time' rate instead of per credit hour when you are enrolled full time. This will be good up to so many credit hours- 12, 15, 18, etc... You will be charged a discounted rate for each additional credit hour beyond the full time rate.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I think maybe you should recontact the person who told you this, and find out more specifics and under what circumstances this applies.

It's not true here.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It used to be true at universities, IDK about CC's. But now, with the loss of state funding to higher education, including CC's, they need to charge for everything, that's my impression. You may find a CC system in a few states that charge only for the standard full-time course load of 15/16 credits, and everything over that's a freebie, but most CC's these days charge per credit that you sign up for. Like buying items in a store; if you buy over a dozen, you don't get the ones that are over the specially-priced dozen for free.

The other thing is, OP, that since 15/16 credits is considered full-time, many schools require you to get permission from someone to take an overload. A Dean's office, or some other authority. You may not be able to register for more than 16 credits without some kind of official "OK".

Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It used to be true at universities, IDK about CC's. But now, with the loss of state funding to higher education, including CC's, they need to charge for everything, that's my impression. You may find a CC system in a few states that charge only for the standard full-time course load of 15/16 credits, and everything over that's a freebie, but most CC's these days charge per credit that you sign up for. Like buying items in a store; if you buy over a dozen, you don't get the ones that are over the specially-priced dozen for free.

The other thing is, OP, that since 15/16 credits is considered full-time, many schools require you to get permission from someone to take an overload. A Dean's office, or some other authority. You may not be able to register for more than 16 credits without some kind of official "OK".

Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
This was true at both my CC and the university I currently attend. The cost of tuition this past semester (16 units) was the same as if I had taken the 12 units required to meet full-time student status. Once you reach the 12 unit threshold, you're good. However - each college has a cut off level for how many units per semester before requiring permission from the dean's office. I had a classmate who took 19 one semester, and another who was enrolled in 22. He stopped coming to class after the midterm.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:36 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
This was true of my very expensive private college. You pay for the semester and that gets you anywhere from 12-18 credits; if you go over 18 there was an extra charge and if you go under 12 you’re better off electing to be part time.

I took some spare courses at a local community college and they charged per credit, so it wouldn’t have worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities