Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,781,160 times

Advertisements

Turns out the SAT is planning to use am "adversity score" to submit with a college student's test scores. they've already tried it out with some schools and plan to expand it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.f771feda9e24

But I don't see the point of any of it. If an applicant self reports his/her hardships, they can simply lie.

But if all of the data is from public sources, which is what it seems like here, then the schools could find out anyway. Selective schools certainly know which schools and homes are in very tough neighborhoods and they can tell a lot of other things through the applicant's own essay and teacher recommendations.

I'm all for giving smart kids from a tough background some extra leverage in selective college admissions. I'm just not sure this is the best way to do that. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 05:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Too many variables. There are caring parents in the 'hood, doing what they can to give their kids a better life. There are abusive, dysfunctional parents in suburbia. Kids in all families may have to deal with the early death of a parent, divorce, serious illness of their own or a family member.

You can't boil it own to a number.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
They should verify with employers if the kid has worked at McD's, Taco Bell or retail. After all, privileged young people don't work at these places. It would help to establish at least some degree of financial hardship.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 PM

14,334 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They should verify with employers if the kid has worked at McD's, Taco Bell or retail. After all, privileged young people don't work at these places. It would help to establish at least some degree of financial hardship.
Are you serious?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,569,261 times
Everyone will claim they face "adversity." Good safe space training for Snowflake U.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are you serious?
If this were implemented, expect to see a jump in the number of applications at the McDonald's or GAPs near high-performing schools, even the affluent ones. The average SAT percentile of fry cooks and retail associates will hit the 90s.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,395,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If this were implemented, expect to see a jump in the number of applications at the McDonald's or GAPs near high-performing schools, even the affluent ones. The average SAT percentile of fry cooks and retail associates will hit the 90s.
Somehow, I don't think there will be a jump in applications to these fast food places. For a rich kid, that might mean giving up a summer of backpacking in Europe and playing golf, so they can go to work slinging burgers. And they aren't going to give up that lifestyle so easily.

And I do think one way to assess financial hardship is to look at the student's work history, at actual paid jobs. And verify with the employers that they worked there.

But just asking the student to self report on their financial hardship invites many to lie.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Somehow, I don't think there will be a jump in applications to these fast food places. For a rich kid, that might mean giving up a summer of backpacking in Europe and playing golf, so they can go to work slinging burgers. And they aren't going to give up that lifestyle so easily.

And I do think one way to assess financial hardship is to look at the student's work history, at actual paid jobs. And verify with the employers that they worked there.

But just asking the student to self report on their financial hardship invites many to lie.
Do you really, seriously believe that your "so called privileged" young people don't work at fast food or other jobs during high school? The actual number of really rich kids who "backpack Europe and play golf" is so vanishingly small as to not matter. I'm getting really tired of this whole attitude that anyone who didn't grow up in the 'hood is somehow "privileged."

I guarantee that some how by the hidden formula they use, I would be one of your "privileged" kids. Yep, I was "privileged" enough that we didn't have air conditioning. I was "privileged" enough that I plowed and planted what we ate. And "privileged" enough to pick beans and corn and other crops in the July and August sun. Then "privileged" enough help mama can those crops in a steam filled kitchen so we'd have food to eat in the winter. And "privileged" enough to serve in the United States Air Force and earn my way through college.

So that if it were today, all that "privilege" would get my score lowered because somehow I would be too "privileged" to deserve college.

Yes, let's punish those kids and families who worked hard by lowering their score and adding extra barriers to entry for them.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
So many better colleges are becoming test optional, and I don't see how adversity can be quantified.

College admission, as the person from Georgetown stated,is an art, not a science. Admissions officers are already aware of over performing HS in wealthy areas. Colleges are also aware that students from such areas are often coached in how to obtain better scores. So, they become "good at taking tests".

I think this is an attempt for the SAT to stay relevant in a time when many colleges are questioning it's usefulness.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:

I think you're underestimating how much "gaming the system" goes on to try to get into elite schools. If it were discovered that your application would get extra consideration if you could stand on your head for a long time, competitive students would start practicing for it as HS freshman, rich families would pay for head-standing consultants, and a few less-ethical parents would pay tens of thousands to have someone create photoshopped pictures and deep-faked videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities