Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:21 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
My college student kid hated it and so did every single one of his friends.

Some "things" you need to be physically present for so all of his labs were cancelled & his research was obviously cancelled. Wondering who has been taking care of the rats.

My just-graduated-from-HS kid is currently taking 2 online summer classes with the college he will be attending (and hopefully not from home) in the fall.

What a HUGE joke - and zero discount for this distance learning.
If I were a student today I'd just take a break from school until this crap is over.... probably next summer term. I completely agree the value for the money isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
Online learning has shown significant growth over the last decade, as the internet and education combine to provide people with the opportunity to gain new skills. Since the COVID-19 outbreak, online learning has become more centric in people's lives. Even before the pandemic, Research and Markets forecasts the online education market as $350 Billion by 2025, so the numbers might be updated after analyzing the growth impacts of COVID-19 on the online learning market.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:13 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
If you start them online from kindergarten they won't know what they're missing.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:03 AM

313 posts, read 269,580 times
The school district in my town is only offering distance learning. Many of the new kindergartners are struggling to learn using Zoom, plus a workload of 5 to 9 assignments daily.
They're bored, unable to engage, fight their parents over school, and don't want to "log on" to school anymore.
These families can't keep up and some have removed their kids from our local public/Zoom schools. They're now homeschooling using purchased curriculums that include paper and books rather than computers.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:17 AM

I'd like to see comparative surveys of how much students like online school vs. how many adults who work from home actually like it.

What the pandemic has taught me is that I don't WANT to work from home. Yeah, skipping traffic and whatnot is nice, but it's like my job and life have blended. I am "taking a break" from working in the middle of the night Friday night as we speak. This sucks.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:48 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Difference between online learning and in-person classes:

For each of the following, select either seeing live or watching online or TV:

Pick One: Attend the MetOpera in person or view live performance on TV or MetOpera Stream.
Pick One: Attend Live Performance of Vienna Philharmonic or listen to recording.
Pick One: Attend 3 Tenors Concert or watch on streaming.
Pick One: Attend live performance of Hamilton or watch on TV.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:20 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Difference between online learning and in-person classes:

For each of the following, select either seeing live or watching online or TV:

Pick One: Attend the MetOpera in person or view live performance on TV or MetOpera Stream.
Pick One: Attend Live Performance of Vienna Philharmonic or listen to recording.
Pick One: Attend 3 Tenors Concert or watch on streaming.
Pick One: Attend live performance of Hamilton or watch on TV.
How about "none of the above" because I wouldn't watch either way. But to use your idea, lets say, football. I'd rather watch a football game on TV. I've been to NFL and MLB games and where you end up in the stands doesn't let you really see what's happening. Went to a game at Mile High one time and we were so far back they might as well have been ants. On TV you can get much closer view of the action.

The point being it's all relative to the topic at hand in education. For myself, way before home computers, I learned far more science watching Jacques Cousteau, National Geographic (when it was actual programs, not entertainment TV), COSMOS, and heck, even Star Trek, than I did in the school classroom. The average teacher just can't put "starstuff" into perspective as Sagan.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How about "none of the above" because I wouldn't watch either way. But to use your idea, lets say, football. I'd rather watch a football game on TV. I've been to NFL and MLB games and where you end up in the stands doesn't let you really see what's happening. Went to a game at Mile High one time and we were so far back they might as well have been ants. On TV you can get much closer view of the action.

The point being it's all relative to the topic at hand in education. For myself, way before home computers, I learned far more science watching Jacques Cousteau, National Geographic (when it was actual programs, not entertainment TV), COSMOS, and heck, even Star Trek, than I did in the school classroom. The average teacher just can't put "starstuff" into perspective as Sagan.
Not much of a culture fan, eh? Maybe you should give it a chance post-pandemic. But I can assure you, a classical music performance or a Broadway show live vs recorded is like black and white. Recordings can't even approximate the experience. There is some music that's meant to be heard in studio-quality, e.g.: a lot of rock or pop is heavily produced & edited, so it's supposed to be heard over a recording. And then music that needs to be experienced live.

With Cosmos, you can't ask Carl a question, ask him to go into more depth on something, nor ask him to clarify or help you understand something. Sagan would have said his role was to inspire people to learn, not to teach them all they need to know. The thing with Cosmos, etc.. is that it's just the presentation. Education is more than the presentation. If that was all it was, we'd call it motivational speaking.

As a sports fan myself, there is a quite noticeable difference in watching games that have audiences versus these empty stadium games they're playing now. It's just not as fun, and I watch a lot less now. Games don't feel like "events" when they're presented this way. There's a reason why sports ratings are down. In fact I didn't know how much I would end up missing an audience in the stands even when I'm watching a game on TV.

Last edited by redguard57; 10-12-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2020, 06:26 AM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
A group can generate enthusiasm and passion, when watching a concert or a football game. Even if you are sitting in nosebleed seats.

When you are teaching a live, in-person class, you can actually feel that enthusiasm. A few excited students can transform the entire class into children eager to learn. And so the herd begins to converge into an excited, knowledge ready group. The teacher can see by a glance who is participating and who is just waiting for the bell.

I've yet to hear of anyone doing the "wave" when sitting alone in the living room.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
I only can speak for our family and a few friends: as to the college kids, the ones that feel the most cheated are the freshman, who looked forward to the entire college flavor. They are not at all happy. It is also beginning to hit the younger kids; more and more in our local school districts are opting to return to traditional classes. I know some people seem to think, if kids start kindergarten in a virtual way they will never miss regular classes. This would be true, perhaps if the entire district was virtual but when it is a mixture, those being schooled at home do wonder what it would be like to be with their friends in a classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities