Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:37 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times

Advertisements

So my college did a survey of students this semester to ask how much they liked the covid19 shift to online classes.

The results were

48% said they preferred in-person classes
10% said they preferred online classes
41% said they preferred a combination of in-person and online components.
Generally this meant the instructor gave live instruction and the students did online assignments.

A blow to those who think youtube is going to replace teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 02:44 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
So my college did a survey of students this semester to ask how much they liked the covid19 shift to online classes.

The results were

Generally this meant the instructor gave live instruction and the students did online assignments.

No it isn't. Those are the same type of people who declare that all US cars will be EVs by 2025 and self-driving in 2027.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No it isn't. Those are the same type of people who declare that all US cars will be EVs by 2025 and self-driving in 2027.
The overwhelming response we got is that they miss the interaction & liked it better the more interaction the instructors did.

We also had 65% indicate "disagree" either slightly or strongly that they are learning as much online that they used to in-person. The most damning finding of them all in my opinion.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The overwhelming response we got is that they miss the interaction & liked it better the more interaction the instructors did.

We also had 65% indicate "disagree" either slightly or strongly that they are learning as much online that they used to in-person. The most damning finding of them all in my opinion.
Oh, no doubt. I think I may have predicted similar when this carnival started. I was loudly hooted down and told I was just trying to protect my pension (which I've been collecting now for five years) by several of the educational "experts" on this forum.

There was even a thread about how this signaled the death knell for schools because everyone will prefer online.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coll...r-schools.html

Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Oh, no doubt. I think I may have predicted similar when this carnival started. I was loudly hooted down and told I was just trying to protect my pension (which I've been collecting now for five years) by several of the educational "experts" on this forum.

There was even a thread about how this signaled the death knell for schools because everyone will prefer online.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coll...r-schools.html
LOL @ your post #2 on that one!

There's a certain kind of anti-social auto-didact that likes online classes but I think existing online classes were already capturing those.

I also think that the really slick online materials that those people like is more of a "product" than a class. There should be (and are) companies that produce that material for the customers that want it, not teachers doing all this remote nonsense.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:33 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,936,638 times
Quote:
Ridiculous though those people may be, his findings were a blow to those same exact people. Your response was a non sequitur. Glad you secured your pension many years prior.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ridiculous though those people may be, his findings were a blow to those same exact people. Your response was a non sequitur. Glad you secured your pension many years prior.
You missed both Redguard's and my points. Keep working and contributing to my pension.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:11 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
I do think that online education will eventually take off. We just haven't figured out how to do it well yet... and it may be several years until we do. Until then, in-person is the only sufficient way.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:58 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Or some type of hybrid program may become more popular. X number of weeks on-line, followed by a week or two of residency.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,264,759 times
Quote:

The results were

My college student kid hated it and so did every single one of his friends.

Some "things" you need to be physically present for so all of his labs were cancelled & his research was obviously cancelled. Wondering who has been taking care of the rats.

My just-graduated-from-HS kid is currently taking 2 online summer classes with the college he will be attending (and hopefully not from home) in the fall.

What a HUGE joke - and zero discount for this distance learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities