Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Minnesota is the only state the comes to mind.

California and Wyoming have really cheap (compared to other states) in-state tuition if you can wait and establish residency first.
Minnesota does indeed have out-of-state tuition. They have some agreements with certain nearby states,e.g. Wisconsin, that many people refer to as "reciprocity", though it really isn't quite that.

There is a group of states out west here called WICHE (Western Interstate Commision on Higher Education) that have similar agreements. In the case of WICHE, not every school participates, and those that do, do not have it available for every program. An example, the tuition for Physical Therapy school (grad school program) at the University of Colorado is 150% of in-state tuition for Wyoming resients. The last time I checked, the University of Colorado did not offer WICHE tuition for any undergraduate programs. The University of Wyoming offered it for most undergrad majors. You might see if AZ is part of WICHE (pronounced "witchy").

Add: Just saw Drover's post which explains the Minnesota issue, and also advises you as I did. Talk to your advisor.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 PM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
I am going to major in
International Business (MBA)

Out-of-state tuition is expensive to such a large extent.
As I said earlier it is hard for me to keep on living here. I have very bad allergies, and I had surgery to relief my nasal passages. That's how bad it is.

All though, I can still live here. Its just that is a significant irrititaton.
I have family in New York State.

I was looking to move there after I finish my transfer's degree. I will probably end up taking the year of.

Here is my question:

Lets say I moved to NYC, and I applied and go accepted to New York State University.
Could I take on-line classes? And do I still have to pay out-of-state even if I take on-line classes?

Old 06-15-2008, 04:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I would say yes, but you know the easiest answer is to simply e-mail or call the admissions office at NYU. If you are oos, you are oos. Doesn't matter if the class is on-line or not. When my daughter was attending college in IL, but still a resident of PA, she took an on-line class at the University of Kansas and paid oos tuition for it. Also, unless you are 24 and not a dependent on your parents income tax you cannot quickly be considered a resident of another state. Your mileage may vary by state/college.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would say yes, but you know the easiest answer is to simply e-mail or call the admissions office at NYU. If you are oos, you are oos. Doesn't matter if the class is on-line or not. When my daughter was attending college in IL, but still a resident of PA, she took an on-line class at the University of Kansas and paid oos tuition for it. Also, unless you are 24 and not a dependent on your parents income tax you cannot quickly be considered a resident of another state. Your mileage may vary by state/college.
Just to clarify, NYU is a private university where the tuition is the same regardless of residency. There is no "New York State University" rather there is SUNY (State University of New York) of which there are many, many campuses (Stony Brook, Binghamton, Buffalo, etc.) and CUNY (City University of New York which is in the New York City metro area).

Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 PM

oops, thank you for clearing that up. That is what I meant SUNY.

I know that SUNY is a lot more reputable then CUNY is. (All though it depends what you put in your education of course)

That sucks you have to pay out-of-state for on-line classes. But I guess it makes sense to a degree.
Private Universities are pretty expensive. -- Scholarships are offered usually to students with higher gpa's. My high school gpa was pretty low. (3.2)
It looks like my options are limited.

It takes 1 year to become a resident if you do not attend a university (Full time)
I can still be claimed dependent, just as long as I work for that one year. And not go to school full-time. Then I get in-state residency in most cases.

Still 1-year is a lot of school lost...
Lots of thinking for me to do.

Probably more logical to stay in arizona for my bachelors, all though I would totally hate being here for another 3 1/2 years. lol --

all though I'll probably risk taking a year off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Just to clarify, NYU is a private university where the tuition is the same regardless of residency. There is no "New York State University" rather there is SUNY (State University of New York) of which there are many, many campuses (Stony Brook, Binghamton, Buffalo, etc.) and CUNY (City University of New York which is in the New York City metro area).

Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Every public school has its own rules about in-state residency. Check the rules for the school you are interested in on their website. In general, if you are a dependent on your parent's income tax return, your residence is their residence.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Yes I am dependent. (They claim me on their tax return)

Can you clarify what the term "your residence, is their residence" means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Every public school has its own rules about in-state residency. Check the rules for the school you are interested in on their website. In general, if you are a dependent on your parent's income tax return, your residence is their residence.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:50 PM

If they are living in Arizona, you are living in Arizona for tuition purposes, usually. You have to be "emancipated", ie, not dependent on your parents to be a resident of some other state, even if you are living somewhere else and working.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Since no one has asked, I will take the plunge. What are your grades, test, scores, and extracurriculars like? I will be honest and tell you that you need to really research your options before leaving the state because those are two extremely good options.

Did you graduate high school this year or are you graduating next year?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Minnesota does indeed have out-of-state tuition. They have some agreements with certain nearby states,e.g. Wisconsin, that many people refer to as "reciprocity", though it really isn't quite that.
Did you read my second post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities