Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times

Advertisements

It's unprofessional. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with cursing in itself, but there's a time and place. I think in the Humanities it can work. That said, I personally don't do it in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:53 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Wow you are so pollyannaish and superior now?
Why would I file a grievance on a professor for cussing during lectures? That isn't an attack on me. You need to read better instead of jumping to conclusions and putting words into my mouth. If a professor wants to cuss a lot during lectures and make himself look trashy and angry, then that is his bad and his failure. I lose so much respect for an idiot like that. I also don't care much for your lectures.
Nope, just stating my opinion. That is what this forum is for. Actually, students do file grievances for cursing, and about everything else (such as skipping exams and not receiving credit....). That doesn't mean anything will happen with the instructur, but it's the right of the student to do so. I think that you need to work on taking criticism from others. I read yours, listened, and am choosing not to agree. You are more than welcome to do so as well, but can do so without insults. Even if we agree on points (I, as a professor, wouldn't curse in my courses), we'll never agree based an attitude. I'm done with this.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,774 times
As a university professor (I teach physics and astronomy) ... I don't do so often, but there are times when I drop a profane intensifying adjective or adverb in lecture. It happens most at the 101 level, and when we end up discussing public policy on science/space/technology/education.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Default Sophisticated or Unsophisticated?

Quote:
You are defending and encouraging trailer trash behavior.
You don't act like an idiot to get freshman to listen......it isn't a bootcamp. lol

People are allowed to judge others. It is perfectly useful in life.
Actually, Artsyguy, while swearing for the sake of swearing bothers me - whether in students or professors - your stereotyping of "trailer trash" bothers me more than a professor's swearing would.

Your notion that college "education is supposed to be dignified and sophisticated" strikes me as only considering one facet of collegiate and university life. Consider, if you will, the percentage of our colleges that got their starts as agricultural institutions, let alone places like the Colorado School of Mines. There is only so dignified that one can be while milking a cow, or with your arm in the backside of a horse up to your elbow, or with your face covered in soot from an explosion you've just created to illustrate some mining principle.

Yes, processing in one's multi-colored robe and hood is stately. No argument. And certainly, many professors adopt (or even possess) more than their fair share of gravitas. Nonetheless, the assertion that the entire realm of education or even collegiate education is supposed to be a bastion of sophistication strikes me as, at best, unsophisticated.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
I once had a professor in my ethics class who was such a cool guy. Very liberal minded...clashed well with me, not so much with the fundies in my class. One day, he lectured about totalitarianism, and made a line graph:

Not totalitarian |-----------------------------------| Totalitarian

He then slid a pen starting at Not totalitarian, and said "Tell me when to stop when you think it applies to our current government."

The pen got to about:

Not totalitarian |---------------------------|--------| Totalitarian
And everyone said "Stop". And he said "That's scary, isn't it? If this is what you truly think, and if you think your freedom is in jeopardy, f***ing do something about it!"

And the class was dead silent. But it was that powerful moment that really sunk into me, and made me think about what we take for granted and how we could lose it.

Now, Artsyguy, I don't see that as "trailer trash". I see a man like him as sophisticated, because he takes the time to think about our freedoms. He also serves as a mermber of the city council, so he does his fair share. So, I wouldn't ever consider him unsophisticated.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORGUSX View Post
Remember that a word is just a social construct so cussing isn't something that I frown upon and they do have the freedom of speech!
BorgusX, you're being a little disingenuous here -- I assume, obviously, that you really DO know that a word is far more than "just a social construct," or rather, that any "social construct" cannot be brushed off with a "just." By your logic, not committing cannibalism is "just a social construct." Not doing your mom is "just a social construct." Not defecating in your neighbor's living room is "just a social construct."

Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,659 times
Quote:
So as an adult student I can go into a classroom cussing and making off color jokes because I am an adult and there is freedom of speech? What is wrong with you people? University education is not trailer trash 101....educated people take SATs and pass multiple exams that are to expand vocabulary yet you all think cussing is fine? Wow. I am shocked and very disappointed in all of you .
Perhaps you would feel more at home in a college which stressed more conservative values, such as a Christian college, a madrasseh, or a yeshiva?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,471 times
Quote:
Ever had professors that cuss and act beligerant during lectures.....I always thought University education was supposed to be sophisticated and dignified not trailer trash....

just wanted to ask your opinions on that..
I've only had professors that occasionally swear. Never had one that swears so much it makes them sound ghetto or trailer trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities