Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
Well first of all, the plural of advice is not "advices." Pluralize "advice" and you still get "advice."

... who's work you are very familiar with (and can discuss)...
It's 'whose' not 'who's'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellogurl23 View Post
...get three or four good, positive letters (always ask to see them first)...

Also read:
Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D. by Robert Peters.
Everything I've ever read about recommendation letters (including in Peters' book, page 79) indicates that applicants should never look at the letters. You must submit forms to your recommenders (which are then sent to the schools) indicating whether or not you waive your right to see the letters, and 'open' letters carry less weight.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

117 posts, read 334,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
It's 'whose' not 'who's'.
Yes; of course it is. Thank you.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
Cellogurl23, thank you for all the advice. I find it a bit difficult to establish any relationship to an american professor since I'm so far away, but I will think about that and talk to my current professor if she has any contacts to share with me.
But given the ubiquitous nature of the internet, it doesn't really matter where you are located. You don't have to develop a full-blown relationship; you just have to have some genuine interest in their work, read their papers, and exchange emails.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Everything I've ever read about recommendation letters (including in Peters' book, page 79) indicates that applicants should never look at the letters. You must submit forms to your recommenders (which are then sent to the schools) indicating whether or not you waive your right to see the letters, and 'open' letters carry less weight.
I did not know that. I'm in the music field, and I always look at my letters.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:50 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
Thank you, all of you, for helping me out here.

The stipends surely differs from around here. Some of you say that the students have to pick a job while working on their Phd. But how is that possible? Isn't the Phd program so demanding in itself that there is not time to do anything else? (The 50k was in USD, not Euro, emh, since you mentioned it. 50k in Euros equals almost 65k in USD - and we do not receive that. )

Juniperblu, my field of interest is macroeconomics, or monetary policy to be precise. Thank you for listing several universities, I will look into them.
Regarding the job, for the friends I have it's often tutoring or assisting with "outside" research or projects. Then, in the summer they get paid internships and just save up.

I'm currently in a part-time master's program with Johns Hopkins, and (just for reference) my macro professors went to Duke, Stanford, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, and University of Pennsylvania. Many of them have worked with the Federal Reserve.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
emh

298 posts, read 852,083 times
Quote:
True, but on occasion a professor will want the student to review the letter first to make sure it's what they want. The professor will then sign it and send it to the school.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,398,411 times
A masters in econ with a PhD in applied statistics would be better. see: www.ucr.edu

Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 764 times
I took my gre recently, i got a score of 288. I have 85% in b.tech.I'm looking to study ms(computer science) in us.As i'm financially not so strong i prefer universities with funding in cs.please suggest me some universities for my score. thanks a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities