Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM

356 posts, read 808,572 times

Advertisements

My GPA is a 2.91 (weighed) and I havent taken the ACT or SAT yet...I took the PSAT and did crap (132 out of 240). I have a non verbal learning disability so I struggle at math and science and am inconsistant in other classes.

I have good extra cirriculars I think:

*Writer for local paper (beat writer for my HS football, baseball, and basketball teams)
*Volunteer for democratic party and was a paid canvasser
*Traveled to Pennsylvania to try and get Obama elected
*Editor of the Sports Section of high school paper (and could get promoted to head editor next year)
* Part time job delivering pizza
*Member of schools Young Demorcats club
*Member of schools Support The Troops club
*Helped work on our high schools news program.
*Sports broadcasting camp attendee
*Traveled to 10 countries and 25 states by age 17.

I think my solid lists of colleges that I want to apply to are:
*Uconn
*IU-Bloomington
*University of Greenwich in London
*Keene State
*Hofstra
*Syracuse

What do you think? Feel free to be honest, if you think I'm retarded or whatever say so! I take criticism fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
I'd say for sure Hofstra and Syracuse are out with your GPA. UConn as well. My cousins all go to Keene State and can't have much above a 3.0 so I'd say that is a fair choice. Hate to say it, but your extracurriculars are pretty moot with that GPA- even with a learning disability. Is there no way to bring it up? Are you getting proper accommodations?

School in the UK are tricky because of the completely different systems of education. British students get into unis based on their A level scores so it's hard to make a comparison to US schools (though admissions there do have systems for American students). I would email Greenwich to see what their averages for American students are or what they would recommend.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,028 times
Back in my days of screening applications, I looked for many things. GPA is one part of the process. If you apply/interview for ANY school, be sure that you check your admissions essay for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and that you have some solid answers to interview questions.

Obviously, I don't know you, so all I have to go by is your post, which contains many errors. And please, don't EVER say that you or anything else is "retarded." (Or "gay" or "ghetto" or all the other things that some people say.)

Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,430 times
My daughter is a junior in high school, and also has learning disabilities. She has been in special ed classes for years. She does well in those classes, though, and usually makes C's and up. After she graduates, we have decided to have her enroll in the local community college for a couple of years to get her used to college classes. I think anyone with learning disabililties would do much better starting off there. Also, most community colleges have great transition services for LD students. After she feels more confident, and has taken and passed a few courses, we would consider having her apply to a four year school.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM

356 posts, read 808,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'd say for sure Hofstra and Syracuse are out with your GPA. UConn as well. My cousins all go to Keene State and can't have much above a 3.0 so I'd say that is a fair choice. Hate to say it, but your extracurriculars are pretty moot with that GPA- even with a learning disability. Is there no way to bring it up? Are you getting proper accommodations?

School in the UK are tricky because of the completely different systems of education. British students get into unis based on their A level scores so it's hard to make a comparison to US schools (though admissions there do have systems for American students). I would email Greenwich to see what their averages for American students are or what they would recommend.
Yeah I did...its a fairly new school so they'd like American students. Plus my dad is from South London!

I TRY....its not like I dont try but sometimes things can be a little overwhelming. Plus I think sometimes the teachers and I arent on the right page.

For example I did everything my english teacher asked of me and she gave me a C and told me I'm "working hard". I think they're underestimating me to an extent.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Where are you trying to go with this, what major, do you have a career in mind? You may change these plans and probably will, but it might focus your mind to think about these.

To be blunt your ability to express yourself in writing is not good. Take for example the title of your post - what exactly do you mean using "chance" as a verb? Take a look at the online writings of Fred Reed and Col. Jeff Cooper - men in full, who express themselves well in writing.

The ability to clearly express what you saw, what you propose to do, how a task should be performed, the basis of your cost estimate, why you deserve a raise...are all critical for engineers and scientists, people who make their living more with mathematical ability than verbal.

If you are looking at journalism, writing, law...the ability to express yourself in writing and perhaps by speaking will obviously be even more critical.

It does not matter if you are working hard or hardly working, what matters is what you get done. If you are in the right field *for you* you should mostly feel like you are hardly working.

Don't consider that I am being harsh with you. I'm just being realistic. The world is a harsh place.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
M3 Mitch, The OP is using common slang for High School kids asking us to rate her chances to get into certain colleges. I wouldn't ding him/her for that one.

This website will give you a better idea of the accepted students at whatever college you want to know about: College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics Just type in the name of the college, select it and then click on admissions. It will give you the SAT avg of the accepted students.

If I were you I would search out schools that go the extra mile with students that have learning disabilities.

Your EC's look good, I don't understand how you got paid to canvass for Obama. I did it for free as did everyone else I worked with.

Have you thought of a majoring in Sports Management and communication?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Traveling to other countries/states is not an EC if they were just vacations. I would not mention this on an app unless your little league/pony league baseball team was winning world championships or you were volunteering across the globe.

Sports Broadcasting Camp attendee? Don't put this on a college app either. Millions of kids go to camp every year. Big whoop dee do. Unless you were a camp leader or did something above and beyond that is deserving of some sort of recognition you should keep this off.

Did you play a specific role in helping your high school's news program? As for the other two clubs that you belong(ed) to: Some people may disagree with me on this, but....if you did not hold an officer position or if your club(s) did not do any community outreach type of stuff, just being a member of a club is not going to cut it. Yes, it does look good that you are involved in your high school, but if you want to get into a competive school this is not going to be enough. Anyone can join a club, but only a few hold a position of officer (and strangely, most don't want to be an officer).

As you are standing right now, I would say no to Hofstra, Syracuse, UConn and IU-B, but you will never know if you do not apply. I have not heard of Keene nor Greenwich.

I would suggest that you get your GPA above 3.0 next year, learn the tricks to score high on the SAT and/or ACT (or just do some serious studying), hold an elected position in one or both of your clubs or start a new club on campus, and begin to write your admissions essays now; the essay alone can make or break your apps.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times
community college FTW!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:44 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To be blunt your ability to express yourself in writing is not good. Take for example the title of your post - what exactly do you mean using "chance" as a verb? Take a look at the online writings of Fred Reed and Col. Jeff Cooper - men in full, who express themselves well in writing.
"To chance" has become a common slang verb on internet forums for high school students looking for advice for college admittance. For someone who probably has only ever gone to teen venues to seek out help, it's understandable why he'd use it. That "verb" certainly became part of my day to day vocabulary when I was about 16 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities