Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What I find disturbing is that too many people who went to college believe the hype and actually do consider themselves "smarter" or "more intelligent" or even "more educated" than a plumber. It's actually kind of scary. And this phenomenon is not limited to people who attended Ivy League schools.
You know, I have worked with people who did not attend college who thought that they were smarter and/or better than their college counterparts. This attitude is human nature, maybe even a personality flaw, but it definitely goes both ways.

Quote:
"Education" is basically a buzzword now for "I attended college" which certainly does not automatically make you smarter, more well-read, or more socially tolerant than someone who only has a high school diploma. It only means you ponied up money to get some sort of credential from someone.
As I mentioned previously, anyone with the attitude that they are better than anyone else simply because they went to college are the same people who would believe the same if they never attended and became a plumber. That attitude was there prior and it is coming from the person. Not sure whether you went to college or not, or whether you are a plumber or not (Joe the Plumber, perhaps?) but the condescending tone in your post shows my point.

Quote:
Kids will commit suicide if they don't get into the "right" college because on some level they know that they will "lose face" unless they do.
While suicide may be the extreme route, I will agree with this. You must keep in mind that teenagers are far more prone to falling for the appearance is acceptance routine than adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You know, I have worked with people who did not attend college who thought that they were smarter and/or better than their college counterparts. This attitude is human nature, maybe even a personality flaw, but it definitely goes both ways.

As I mentioned previously, anyone with the attitude that they are better than anyone else simply because they went to college are the same people who would believe the same if they never attended and became a plumber. That attitude was there prior and it is coming from the person. Not sure whether you went to college or not, or whether you are a plumber or not (Joe the Plumber, perhaps?) but the condescending tone in your post shows my point.
I have to completely agree...I've worked with some high school dropouts who thought they were God's-gift-to-the-world and were smarter and better than everyone else in the world. The holier-than-thou, condescending attitude can be found in truck drivers, plumbers, lawyers and the entire fabric of society. I definitely deal with some rather large egos as a graduate student in engineering, but I can't say they are any bigger than the egos I dealt with while working at a grocery store or trucking company while in high school.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:20 PM

67 posts, read 269,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't think so, however people who are snobs to begin with tend to choose the Ivies.
I went to an Ivy as an undergrad, and I somewhat agree with your post.

You (not just you, K-Luv) have to remember that two things are big in the Ivy League: money and legacies. In my experience, I did meet a lot of rich snobs. Furthermore, many of them came from an Ivy League background (take that as you will). I did meet a handful of good people, too. As a matter of fact, one of my college friends is getting married this summer and has asked me to be a groomsman.

Now I'm a grad student at a public university. The other grad students I meet tend to be very down-to-earth, regular people. The undergrads I see, though, take me right back to college. The few undergrad friends that I have say that this school (UVa) is known for being snobby.

I guess my point is that though the Ivy League may be a big snob convention, snobs are at other schools, too.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
Going to Penn was an experience both scholastically and in our peer groups. Graduation was good too because the rich guys were plentiful...

Yeah there were plenty rich folks there like Trump's kids and the Prince of Saudi along with regular guys like myself who could care less about the rich guys. I did learn to think outside the box and during graduation the limos were lined up like airport cabbies. Great sites and good education...I paid for the entire tuition. I achieved a Masters outside the Ivy in a regular state college which I enjoyed just as much as Penn. I didn't want to be anything but what I was capable of performing so as far as snobs go in an Ivy school, I didn't see any but I'm sure they were present somewhere.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 PM

157 posts, read 493,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1547 View Post
I went to an Ivy as an undergrad,

Now I'm a grad student at a public university.
May I ask why did you go from Ivy to UVa, did you fail some courses in Ivy? if you were to go to a public school shouldn't it be UMich or UCB?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo_x View Post
May I ask why did you go from Ivy to UVa, did you fail some courses in Ivy? if you were to go to a public school shouldn't it be UMich or UCB?
No, I didn't fail any courses. I'm not sure what made you think so...

And why "should" someone go to UMich or UCB if they are going to a public school?

Your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo_x View Post
Most people go to grad school where they think they can get the best education in their field. For many, that may not be Michigan or Berkeley.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most people go to grad school where they think they can get the best education in their field. For many, that may not be Michigan or Berkeley.
Well put.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM

157 posts, read 493,972 times
I was trying to be a bit funny but o well, my point is why don't you stay at top tier school ? for example, do you have many Ivy graduates around you? my guess is most of your Ivy friends like to stay at top schools.

I can understand there is this prof at UVa you want to work with, but there's gotta be a better professor doing same/similar work at a top tier school. why settle at UVa? is it because you applied to top tier school and got rejected?

Last edited by zoo_x; 04-14-2009 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Still trying to be funny? Try again, it's not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities