Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

I have seen several schools offering this degree. I was wondering (if anybody would dare to gander) what kind of career options or position this degree would actually entail.

It seems very enticing... I have thought of doing an MPA and doing non profit work, doing a philosophy MA and teaching... Law school seems enticing but I would rather not practice law. I have stumbled upon this joint degree in philosophy/law ... as I am interested in political philosophy/philosophy of law/philosophy of value/political science/economics... so the joint program seems up my alley.

I need to get out of the IT field eventually. It bores me. I have done db/sys admin roles, qa roles and light programming... none of it is a fit, and I abhor meddling in corporate America stuck in a cubicle, small to large.

I do not mind the time it takes to get this ( I actually love school )

Again, I would be concerned with the career choices for somebody with these credentials...is it limited? wide? not worth the investment in the degrees? There is probably some specialization I am not familiar with that these two degrees combined would be very useful in.

Anywho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM

hrrmmm anybody? If Harvard, Berkeley, Georgetown, Syracuse, Penn, UCLA, Stanford, NYU, Kansas, Wisconsin, Duke, UF, Cornell, Emory, Pitt, U of Texas etc. are all offering this joint program... there must be some special use to it that people go into afterwards. Otherwise why would somebody spend the time getting the MA or PhD in some programs in Philosophy along with it... it is generally not offered by less than stellar schools.

Just to be clear, I am wondering if this is a more useful compliment to getting an upper level degree in philosophy and not having to go to some community college in middle of Nebraska to teach... or does this open up specific parts of the law profession to you others with just a law degree wouldn't have access to? ???

I am doing some research as well, but... usually when I have a thought, I post it as well to try not to waste much time on it if not worthwhile from others good opinions on it.

Has anybody taken this route?

Thanks...

Old 05-27-2009, 06:36 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,971 times
Bioethics would be the first thought that comes to mind... but you have a comp. sci background. Otherwise, I think the philosophy degree is good to have when studying law since so many ideas come from philosophy. A big firm may look at someone who has the joint degree because Philosophy requires you to write a lot. You can also specialize in cases involving ethics.. but it really just looks good on a resume. If you genuinely like philosophy, I'd do it.. but I think the joint MBA/JD would be more beneficial as a joint degree.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 144,771 times
Hi. This is just another way for schools to get your tuition dollars. An MA in philosophy will not help you land a legal job. A JD is worthless if you want to pursue an academic position in philosophy (you will need a PhD for that).

Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 84,180 times
Law firms do not care about your undergraduate or graduate degrees unless they are directly related to a specific area of law, e.g., accounting or finance if you practice corporate law, or computer science or engineering if you want to practice intellectual property law. Anything else is irrelevant and will not make you more marketable than someone who only has a JD. You will be judged primarly on your law school grades and which law school you attended.

I would not recommend law school unless you really want to practice law. It will not open any doors to teaching unless you want to teach in a law school, which is extremely competitive.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethn2009 View Post
Law firms do not care about your undergraduate or graduate degrees unless they are directly related to a specific area of law, e.g., accounting or finance if you practice corporate law, or computer science or engineering if you want to practice intellectual property law. Anything else is irrelevant and will not make you more marketable than someone who only has a JD. You will be judged primarly on your law school grades and which law school you attended.

I would not recommend law school unless you really want to practice law. It will not open any doors to teaching unless you want to teach in a law school, which is extremely competitive.
Well I wouldn't mind more behind the scenes stuff as far as research and writing goes, possibly a gov position or at a university. I wouldn't want to be a defense attorney or prosecutor though.
How about something with normative law or jurisprudence?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well I wouldn't mind more behind the scenes stuff as far as research and writing goes, possibly a gov position or at a university. I wouldn't want to be a defense attorney or prosecutor though.
How about something with normative law or jurisprudence?
Consider Public Policy degree and JD.. Or just Public Policy.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Consider Public Policy degree and JD.. Or just Public Policy.
Yeah... I have considered doing an MPA, MPP as well.
On the other hand... philosophy... well, is what I like the most... on the other hand... employment is usually a good thing. I think with only philosophy, honestly the employment is going to be extremely limited in a very small field. Adding the JD to it... opens up more. You are right though, an MPP/JD would probably prove well and still be able to read some more philosophical (at least in the ethics/political sense) Or at least... I would assume.

By the way, what are your career plans?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah... I have considered doing an MPA, MPP as well.
On the other hand... philosophy... well, is what I like the most... on the other hand... employment is usually a good thing. I think with only philosophy, honestly the employment is going to be extremely limited in a very small field. Adding the JD to it... opens up more. You are right though, an MPP/JD would probably prove well and still be able to read some more philosophical (at least in the ethics/political sense) Or at least... I would assume.

By the way, what are your career plans?
I agree. This would be a good way to go for you.

Career plans? hah, I do natural gas pipelining. I travel across the state directing projects. B.S. Chemical Engineering, M.S. Chemical Engineering.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I agree. This would be a good way to go for you.

Career plans? hah, I do natural gas pipelining. I travel across the state directing projects. B.S. Chemical Engineering, M.S. Chemical Engineering.
very lucrative, very intense... I stopped at Calc 2...after that, no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities