Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lesser UC or Cal State
Cal State is better 2 3.51%
About equal 13 22.81%
UC is better/stronger 32 56.14%
UC is worlds apart better 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,527,991 times

Advertisements

lj111 - I often say "people are sheep" incapable of independent thought.

LJ when you went to the toy store and saw a plastic model of Tyrannosaurus Rex that said "Just like the real thing" Did you believe it?

Do you think Cal Berkeley could be cloned for less than billions of dollars? Where would the faculty come from ? Merced jr. College? At most a handfull of universities could supply that caliber of faculty and they are all going to quit their jobs at Harvard, Stanford & MIT to live in Merced.

Cal's student body has the highest percentage of students who graduated in the top 10% of their classes ( Harvard 2nd by only 1 %) but as explained to you the top students from all over the world are going to switch and go to umm Merced?

UC Merced will end up a small commuter school -scaled down from the rest of the system ( and recent news has it scaled down even more). It won't offer near the amount of classes nor wiill it have the libraries or resources.

LJ next time someone "explains" something to you- try to actually think if it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 PM

79 posts, read 386,353 times
Cal State San Bernardino is one of the best (if not the best) California State University. Their students are accepted to with "open arms" to some of California's best medical school (UCLA, Cal, UCSD). Honestly if you are transferring to medical school, you are better off going to CSU San Bernardino than UCR, UCM, UCI, or UCSC. Cal State San Bernardino would be one of the exceptions that Cal States are less prestige than UC's. By the way CSU San Bernardino was named 2010 Best Western College by the Princeton Review: (http://news.csusb.edu/story_full.asp?articleID=8523&source=web (broken link))

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM

34 posts, read 201,773 times
I think the UC's have the prestige and the name brand recognition (especially CAL and UCLA) while the CSU's often have the image by some as being 2nd tier. Like other posters have stated earlier though it really depends on what you want to major in, what you want to do after undergrad, and most importantly what you do during your 4 or 5 years at school. I know people that have graduated from CSUF and found entry level professional jobs right away while others have graduated from UCSD and are still folding clothes a year later at the GAP or remain unemployed. Then I know others that got accepted to law school after UCSD.

The moral of the story is that it really all depends on you. If you are at say CAL, struggle to graduate with a 2.0 and don't do anything other than show up to class, then your UC education isn't going to mean much unless you have some strong connections or really now how to BS and can sell yourself well. If you went to say Cal State Northridge, graduated with a 3.6, had some strong work or intern experience, and were involved in extracurriculars (especially in a leadership role), then I would bet that you would have a much easier time after graduating than the CAL student that was going through the motions.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,627,546 times
The only Cal State I would consider on par with the upper-tier UC's (Cal, UCLA, SD) is Cal Poly (SLO). I think it would be a tossup between choosing Cal Poly versus UC Irvine or Davis, depending more on individual preferences.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,722,752 times
Leaving Cal Poly with an undergrad eng. or arch. degree means more than it does leaving with one from any UC school. That's true for ag. as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
So much depends on WHO you are trying to impress...

Old 04-15-2010, 02:11 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,952,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Leaving Cal Poly with an undergrad eng. or arch. degree means more than it does leaving with one from any UC school. That's true for ag. as well.
Ehh...Cal Mech E was #2 in the world when I attended. Cal Poly's is very good, don't get me wrong--but you can't beat Berkeley engineering.

I will say that it is two very different students who thrive at each school (I attended Cal, my sister went to Poly). It really depends on what you want out of school, and what your goals are after graduation.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,722,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salcan View Post
Cal State San Bernardino is one of the best (if not the best)
Cal Poly has to be number one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Ehh...Cal Mech E was #2 in the world when I attended. Cal Poly's is very good, don't get me wrong--but you can't beat Berkeley engineering.

I will say that it is two very different students who thrive at each school (I attended Cal, my sister went to Poly). It really depends on what you want out of school, and what your goals are after graduation.
Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

My bad. I didn't know Cal was THAT highly regarded with their eng. programs. They separate the two schools in rankings, doctorate vs. non-doctorate granting schools. I'd be curious to see how each of their programs stacked up against eachother. I was surprised to see San Jose St. listed. I had no clue they had highly regarded egineering programs.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 PM

306 posts, read 759,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
California State University San Bernardion MBA graduates have the highest 5th year post graduate salaries of any MBA program in the Inland Empire.
California State Univestiy San Bernardino has the 8th highest CPA exam pass rate west of the Mississippi.
The organization that accredits Computer Science programs, stated, "California State University San Bernardino has the finest Computer Science program, bar none."
The MSW program at California State University San Bernardino is one of the 14 such programs in California.
For years, California State University San Bernardino took first AND second place in the Mock United Nations Competition in Washington D.C. This occurred for at least eight years in a row.

So, you go to the "better" schools. CSUSB graduates do extremely well. So well, that they are considered to be some of the best and brightest.

The only thing that CSUSB does NOT have that the UC schools have are doctorial programs in a wide number of subjects. CSUSB only offers one doctorial program.
Again, like with UCR, though, the problem is LOCATION. Or rather, lack thereof. And if you want to leave the Inland Empire area, as you WILL, no place you'd apply for a job has ever heard of you. And then, too, it's just THOSE programs. Not the whole school. If you wanted to major in Biotechnology then that's not the name you'd want hanging on your wall.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,256,878 times
The same governing body at the state level controls all three systems of higher education in the state of California (UCs, CSUs, and CCs). The minimum standards of education and rigor is the same within all three systems, but no doubt the UCs turn it up a notch....depending on the school. Basically, Linear Algebra offered at a California CC would meet the same standards set forth by the State as a Linear Algebra course taught at UCB.

As a result, the CSUs are highly regarded within the state of California. Many top students who graduate from high schools in the State will attend a CSU even though they can get into a UC. However, this phenomenon is only limited to those who were born and raised in the state. Most Californians view all of their state colleges and universities as top notch, but with the added extension that people go to the UCs to gain a specific degree (medical, legal, or specific research) and not for the prestige. It is the outsiders who (mistakenly) believe that UCs are superior. Yes, every Californian knows that UCB and UCLA are top schools, but no one is going to look down on you if you choose CSUS over UC Davis.

UC Santa Cruz is considered a hippy party school. It is also one of the easier UCs to get into. UC Merced just opened its doors and haven't had the enrollment numbers that they have been hoping. It is too early to say whether Merced is a good school or not, but c'mon, it's in Merced! Nothing to do there but stare at miles and miles of farmland and dirt and cows. I don't think that students are going to be busting down their doors to get in and they have something like an 80 or 90% acceptance rate with maybe around 10% of those accepted actually attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities