Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,629 times

Advertisements

One of my professors had us read a piece by Rush Limbaugh the other day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I always hear about how college is supposed to be a liberal brainwashing shop.
It is.

I visit a number of college campuses in the course of my job and to call them liberal havens is an understatement.

The "Schools of Journalism" are the best, walk the halls and the posters on the walls lets you know you are in Obama Love Heaven in the very presence of Dear Leader. I swear it looks and feels like you were in North Korea.

Little wonder newspapers are powerdiving into the toilet. If I want propaganda I'll buy a copy of Workers World.

If I had worn a McCain button I am sure I would have been physically attacked.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
Because candidates like Bush attracted the uneducated rednecks. Gallup showed if you were male without a high school education you were 2-1 for Bush. These people equate college with negatives- liberals communist etc.

When Texas A&M played Cal _Berkeley in Bowl game a few years ago- their paper the Battalion made it about Conservatives vs liberals and predicted A&M would thrash them 77-0. Cal that year had more young repubs than dems but it didn't matter. A&M's QB McGee repeated the editorial to the media -although one reporter asked if he'd ever been to California ("No")

In the actual game Cal crushed them 45-10 putting in 2nd string in the first half and 3rd and 4th in the 2ndf half. Cal's coach a classy person who does not like running up scores was actually upset at a guy who came off the bench for the only time that year and immediately scored.

I wrote a rebuttal to the paper - of course they didn't print it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It is.

I visit a number of college campuses in the course of my job and to call them liberal havens is an understatement.

The "Schools of Journalism" are the best, walk the halls and the posters on the walls lets you know you are in Obama Love Heaven in the very presence of Dear Leader. I swear it looks and feels like you were in North Korea.

Little wonder newspapers are powerdiving into the toilet. If I want propaganda I'll buy a copy of Workers World.

Hahahahahaha, yeah right.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,703 times
Statistics show that people are more liberal as they're younger. Hence, college=liberal haven.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:40 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Statistics show that people are more liberal as they're younger. Hence, college=liberal haven.
I think that people are more idealistic when they are younger, but I don't think necessarily liberal. Just like most people become more conservative as they age, but not necessarily in the political sense.

People also believe what they want to believe and see what they want to see. If you walk onto a college campus with the preconceived notion that the place is a den of heathen liberal scum, then that is all that you are going to see. But, if you walk onto a campus with the idea that the school is populated by people from all walks of social, economic, political, and ethnic backgrounds, then that is what you are going to see.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,629 times
Quote:
It is.

I've stepped foot on at least a dozen college campuses and I've never seen anything like what you're talking about

And about the physical attacking part? I hope that was a joke. You must really be insecure and paranoid if you truly believe that you'd be physically attacked because of who you voted for

Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,290 times
I'm pretty sure the talk about "brainwashing" and "liberal haven" is really just saying "I hate you because you're a rich idiot."

[url]https://chomsky.info/20150409/[/url]

" Take a look at busing in Boston. It was organized by Harvard liberals, suburban, liberal progressives. It was designed to stop segregation. But how did they do it? They sent Irish kids from South Boston into Roxbury, black kids from Roxbury into South Boston—and nobody into the suburbs where the rich liberals lived. And of course it set off conflicts."

In other words, people hate academia, not because they're liberal, but because they could ruin their lives directly.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:34 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
One of my professors had us read a piece by Rush Limbaugh the other day
In what context? For discussion? And how did that discussion go?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:36 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
It is.

I have a co-worker who's daughter attends a state school in CA. This girl told her mom that she needed to take the American flag sticker off her car before she drove on campus or her car would be vandalized. I guess it's been happening a lot there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities