Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times

Advertisements

Are you serious?? You have had to explain a C in a class? OMG I've never had to explain an F and I'm practically finished with graduate school at a good university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

I took a random dance class at a junior college a long long time ago and stopped attending it half way through and I got a C in the class. I was young and stupid. I did not even realize it was a credit class. Thought it was a continuing education non-credit class. I have had to disclosue that dang class when applying for college and grad school and then for a couple of certification courses. It haunts me, but it hasn't caused anything bad to happen. It's just a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,499 times
I'm also wondering the same thing. I want to apply to a different community college within the same state. I have never provided my SSN and have paid cash for all my education. I want to start over all due to ONE "F" I got! it's crazy that colleges will do this to a student. Criminals can expunge their records, why can't we have the right to OMIT a bad grade? Education renewal does not make it go away either. So back to my question, without an SSN and financial aid info, can the new CC I will apply to be able to know if I attended another college within the same state?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 PM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
If you want a completely fresh start, I don't see why you couldn't enroll just as a clean slate off the street. As far as I know, people would want to transfer credits to reduce cost and time in the classroom, but if you want to start anew for some reason, the school gets even more money.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
I just applied at the local community college and listed NO PREVIOUS SCHOOLS. If I listed every school I attended, the list would be longer than a career criminal's rap sheet..LOL. with the exception of the Michigan schools and one in NC, they were 1 or two semesters and no more than 9 or 12 credit hours. I figure it is like doing a resume, not every job makes the list, not every school does either.

Just like I do not list all the schools on my resume. Though it is fun sometimes to see the interviewers' faces when they read JACK KEROUAC SCHOOL OF DISEMBODIED POETICS on my resume...imagine the conversations that has generated....

2 schools in Wisconsin
1 in Colorado
5 in Michigan
2 in North Carolina
1 in Florida

Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1214 View Post
Education renewal does not make it go away either. So back to my question, without an SSN and financial aid info, can the new CC I will apply to be able to know if I attended another college within the same state?
It's possible you submitted your SSN unwittingly. For example, in the old days it wasn't uncommon for it to be listed on a H.S. transcript - in some states it was built into a DL#, etc.

It's also possible that prior institutions you attended are listed on other transcripts you will be submitting.

Practically speaking, is the average overworked CC going to go out of its way to see if a random student is omitting a school from a decade past? No. Are there ways they could stumble onto that info because of a loose end you aren't seeing? Yes.

Prior credits may or may not transfer in any case.

What should you do? Personally I'd say 'tell the truth' but people find lots of reasons to rationalize doing otherwise.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I was enrolled at a university in the fall of 2015, but had insufficient funds and could not attend for spring. I do not want to just stop my education so I am hoping to enroll at a local community college. My question is if I do not attend the school this semester does that mean that I still owe them that money? I am asking because without my transcripts from them I do not know if I will be able to enroll in the CC. And is there a such thing as completely starting over with college? As in if you apply as a freshman instead of a transfer, even if you have to take those courses over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities