Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 PM

64 posts, read 208,844 times

Advertisements

I was interested in enrolling in the local community college program this fall. If I omit on my application that I attended a school for two semesters over a decade ago, is there any way that the community college can find out about that? I will not be applying for financial aid, so how far does my privacy extend as far as colleges having a right to know about prior academic records?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticHomeland View Post
I was interested in enrolling in the local community college program this fall. If I omit on my application that I attended a school for two semesters over a decade ago, is there any way that the community college can find out about that? I will not be applying for financial aid, so how far does my privacy extend as far as colleges having a right to know about prior academic records?
I'm not sure but if the college asks for all schools attended, you'd be dishonest not to disclose.

On the bright side, they aren't likely to hold attendance at another college 10 years ago against you. In fact, they may transfer some credits towards a degree. I really wouldn't worry about attendance there 10 years ago today. Schools know a lot changes with the passage of years.

Good luck

Old 07-01-2009, 07:32 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
I have always wondered this one myself.

For instance, after getting my 4-yr degree, while living overseas I took a few undergrad accounting courses through 2 colleges contracted with the base education office.

I have wondered if I were going to do a program where they had no application, if leaving them off would matter. I got As so its not the grades I am worried about, just this list of schools. I'd probably go ahead and put them down on the form, because I'd hate to get "in trouble" for not listing them, but I would wonder if the admissions office/coordinator really even cares about those random courses.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Why wouldn't you list it? It's open enrollment. They won't deny you.

If you're talking about a random course here or there that didn't come close to contributing to a degree, it's ok to leave it off. If it's 2 semesters worth, with maybe 30+ credits, yes, you need to put it on the application.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,753 times
If this were 10 years ago, I'd say they'd never find out unless you received financial aid... and were applying for finaid now. Now, however, there's a big push to make sure applications on incoming students are valid/accurate so a lot of states put a lot of cash into random checks on applications to confirm listed info.

I'd think about your reason for not listing them... do you owe them money? Can't get transcripts? Really poor grades? Just don't want the hassle of dealing with it? If it's any of those, though I wouldn't advise you to lie, I think those would be sympathetic reasons if you get caught.

If it's because you were disciplined either academically or socially... I wouldn't dare lie. If you get caught, you will not have any chance to explain and you will be asked to leave... I'm almost certain. However, if you approach it upfront, you'll have a chance to plead your case and explain.

10 years is a long time and people change... give the school a chance to give you a chance.

As for privacy... there are waivers you might have signed at either location that would allow communication... but the main linking factor would be 1. criminal record 2. address history 3. financial aid transcripts (might be requested even though you aren't applying for aid)

good luck with your decision

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
I think they specifically tell you on the application to disclose all prior schools and get transcripts submitted, so to not do so would be considered lying by omission. They may have a program that allows you to "start over" or have a "fresh start" or some such thing where they won't use any of the courses from over 10 years ago for credit.

I took a random dance class at a junior college a long long time ago and stopped attending it half way through and I got a C in the class. I was young and stupid. I did not even realize it was a credit class. Thought it was a continuing education non-credit class. I have had to disclosue that dang class when applying for college and grad school and then for a couple of certification courses. It haunts me, but it hasn't caused anything bad to happen. It's just a hassle.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

901 posts, read 2,987,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticHomeland View Post
If you are applying as a matriculated student, I believe you have to put down all high schools and colleges that you attended. It very possible that you will get some credit for the classes that you took 10 years ago. So, it's in your best interest to disclose this information. Is there some reason that you don't want the college to find out about the classes/credits?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
My graduate school explicitly states that if you fail to list any and all schools you've attended and supply transcripts, your registration is voided. Disclosing your prior academic record is a condition of enrollment, there. I assume they can search and verify.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

I took a random dance class at a junior college a long long time ago and stopped attending it half way through and I got a C in the class. I was young and stupid. I did not even realize it was a credit class. Thought it was a continuing education non-credit class. I have had to disclosue that dang class when applying for college and grad school and then for a couple of certification courses. It haunts me, but it hasn't caused anything bad to happen. It's just a hassle.
I guess that is how I pretty much feel about mine.

I took some accounting classes - got As - thought it might help when looking for a job since my 4-yr degree was not. I am now not interested in business or accounting if pursuing another program so in a way I feel like it looks really random and makes no sense.

I am going to conclude the hassle of making a separate page listing my courses and schools is worth it.

BTW, my 4-yr degree transcript contains transfer credits from a couple of schools - do you usually list them separately?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM

64 posts, read 208,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My graduate school explicitly states that if you fail to list any and all schools you've attended and supply transcripts, your registration is voided. Disclosing your prior academic record is a condition of enrollment, there. I assume they can search and verify.
If you do not apply for financial aid, then how do they actually find out you attended another school? Are you prior school records and attendance records actually private or is there a method where they automatically check your name/social security ID against a list of all the schools in the USA to see if you have attended any of them? I took some university courses in latter years after the school I want to omit, come to think of it. I must of not bothered to mention on my application the school I wish to omit. I never had any repercussions. I just think applying for a community college, and for schoolwork done over a decade ago, what is the point of telling them about schoolwork I did poorly at? I do not need to open that can of worms with the community college. I have a college degree already and it infuriates me that I have to contact my high school from decades ago to send my transcript/proof of graduation. My bachelor degree from a university should be enough, but schools are bureaucratic juggernauts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities