Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times

Advertisements

Seems to be a lot of out of work teachers. This makes sense though as in most states teachers get paid well (considering they get ~3 months off) and get plush benefits as a result you had a lot of people trying to get into the field.

Personally, I don't think the employment situation will improve over the years as technology will start to displace teachers. You can already build educational tutors that can match teacher's ability to instruct a variety of tasks. Such technology will enable a single teacher to successfully instruct a longer set of students. You can purchase 100 basic computers for less than half of what it costs to employ one teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
But it seems that grads are having more trouble now then they did 10+ years ago. Also, I'm talking about grads getting decent jobs, not just so-so jobs. Most people I know have found work, but many are not doing particularly well financially in comparison to previous generations when they were of similar age.
Forget about 10+ years ago. Grads of 5+ years ago were doing much better compared to today's...

Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
It seems that a lot of younger (say 20~30) people I know (directly or indirectly) are not doing particularly well after college. So, for those of you that have graduated in the last 5 years or so how are you doing?

The job market has been weak almost this entire decade, in fact we are almost to the point where a big fat 0 jobs have been created over the last 10 years. To make matters worse the baby boomers seem to be delaying retirement.
I'm doing pretty well. I graduated in 2007 with a firm job offer as a research analyst for a government agency. I've spent two years here, learned a lot, got some of my Master's degree paid for, and will be moving to an Economist position at another agency next month.

As far people my age doing well in general, it really depends. I was anal and obsessive about applying for jobs senior year, as was my roommate (I think we each sent out about 40 applications), and we both got decent positions right out of college. A lot of my friends didn't start applying until later, and many moved back to their small hometowns, which doesn't help a lot with the job search. It also really depends on your major and desired field. My college roommate majored in Art History and knows exactly what she wants to do with that degree, so she went straight to grad school knowing that it's a competitive job market and she wouldn't get much with just a bachelor's degree. My other roommate majored in history and took a year "off" to continue working with the Park Service while she really pinned down her master's thesis topic and applied to grad schools. Then again, I know a lot of history and art history majors working at The Gap.

I feel that a lot of students pick a major and then don't think any more about it until after graduation. Then it's sort of a "now what?" moment.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,549 times
Default difficult time

I know how you feel! I just graduated with a double major in education and professional writing and am having the toughest time. It's very discouraging and disheartening. All employers want candidates with experience which closes all the doors on us newly grads. It's terrible to come out of college ambitious and excited to begin a career when all I recieve is rejection. Everyone I know that has recently graduated has returned to school and is waiting this economy out. Me, I had to move back in with my parents and am still trying to get an employer to give me a chance.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Step-daughter finished her Accounting degree last spring, seeing the job market was not so hot at the time and wanting to get enough course work done to be eligable to sit the CPA exam, she continued through the summer to get a second degree in Finance. Finished last final exam at 10:00 AM on June 5, was hired as an auditor at 2:00 PM that same day.

Luck? Yeah, but luck favors the prepared mind as well. Solid degree+good work history+can-do attitude = employed.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,181 times
I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering in May 2009. I was able to find a job a week after graduation. It made me nervous because graduates in the past had offers starting in Feb-Mar. My offer came late but it came and it was worth the wait. And how's this, I've been on my job for about a week and I just receive a message this morning that I received another offer. I honestly think Civil Engineering is the field to be in right now. I work where the cost of living is average and I started in the low 60s with no experience. Civil Engineering is challanging but it's worth it. HOWEVER, you're still not GANRATED A JOB!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering in May 2009. I was able to find a job a week after graduation. It made me nervous because graduates in the past had offers starting in Feb-Mar. My offer came late but it came and it was worth the wait. And how's this, I've been on my job for about a week and I just receive a message this morning that I received another offer. I honestly think Civil Engineering is the field to be in right now. I work where the cost of living is average and I started in the low 60s with no experience. Civil Engineering is challanging but it's worth it. HOWEVER, you're still not GANRATED A JOB!!!
I am not surprised, because there will always be jobs in engineering.
IMHO if you DO go to college it is one of the few fields that is worth going into!!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:34 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,855,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgeorge11 View Post
I know how you feel! I just graduated with a double major in education and professional writing and am having the toughest time. It's very discouraging and disheartening. All employers want candidates with experience which closes all the doors on us newly grads. It's terrible to come out of college ambitious and excited to begin a career when all I recieve is rejection. Everyone I know that has recently graduated has returned to school and is waiting this economy out. Me, I had to move back in with my parents and am still trying to get an employer to give me a chance.
I am in the same boat; I have three degrees, a bachelor’s degree in business administration and social science as well as my master's degree in education. Every teaching position wants at least two to three years of experience. One upon a time a teaching position in NYC was easy to come by for first year teachers. Up until recently the city wanted experienced teachers as well and wouldn’t even interview recent graduates. Now the city has instituted a hiring freeze and is not interviewing anyone unless they are special Ed or ESL certified. Not what I has expected or hoped for just before I graduated college.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Do you mind telling which area and/or state you're located in? and What type of field/specialization you're currently in (structural, geotech, transpo, env?)... Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 06:05 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Do you mind telling which area and/or state you're located in? and What type of field/specialization you're currently in (structural, geotech, transpo, env?)... Thanks

I am a Geotechnical Engineer in the New Orleans Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities