Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times

Advertisements

Ahhhh,

Maybe some good news. I saw this today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/te...me&ref=general

Think McNealy can be successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
I always hated history classes. There was always some big textbook to buy but 99% of the test material came from lecture notes.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
[quote=K-Luv;10492617]You are correct, however you are missing two points:

1). To put it simply, buying used textbooks was just not the thing to do. Yes, some students did buy used textbooks, but it was no where near the level that it is at today and they generally bought them off of other students.

Uh, yeah it was. DH and I both always bought used books. They were widely popular in the 70's on both our college campuses.

2). It was popular for students to keep their college textbooks and add them to their home libraries. So, there just weren't that many books in the used market to begin with.

Uh, no, not really. I couldn't wait to sell mine back.

My biggest problem is when professors tell students they need a certain book and then it is never mentioned again. More than once my sons have had to buy books that were never used, not even as "suggested reading".

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM

507 posts, read 879,018 times
It's not that it's a failure of the free market, it's just there is no such thing as a free market.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
So, I've been reading this summer about an act recently passed requiring schools to post the ISBN numbers of required texts books at registration. The reasoning behind the act was that students would then have time to shop for books without having to pay college bookstore prices. In some cases, my son was able to get the book info when he registered online, but, not always. In a couple of cases the school said a new professor would be teaching and hadn't yet chosen the book.

The Higher Education Opportunity Act was passed in 2008, and takes affect this year. I tried to muddle through it online looking specifically for the textbook info, but gave up after about an hour.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
That's some great info. I will check it out. I was discussing the whole book thing with my sons tonight, and both of them said that had no info on what books were needed until they went to class the first time and got the sylibis. By then there's not time to shop around. One sons university bookstore does have a listing because they want the kids to sign up for the service they offer where they just register their student ID number with them and they will have their books ready and waiting when they get to campus. We did it the first semester of his freshman year just to make sure he had what he needed. Since then, he's shopped around for his books as much as possible, but due to the time constraints, ordering online has always been impracticle.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Last year we placed an order at Barnes and Noble. The prices were good, and all the books were in stock. I paid for overnight shipping, since school started the following week, but none of the books had left the warehouse by the time my son had to leave. We may rent this year, since I have 3 in college, and am tired of paying through the nose for books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities